What's new

Jazz select Grayson Allen at 21

Yah, I wouldn't have done it for the Clippers pick... that one is a glorified 2nd rounder. I wouldn't have done it for their own pick next year either. Memphis or nothing...

Knowing Ainge he probably offered a couple seconds.

For the 50th billionth time, height isn’t what you’re looking for.

Wingspan.

His wingspan is about an inch shy of league average for 2’s. So size wise, he can guard 1/2. He’ll guard the weaker of whoever Mitchell or Exum don’t take.

It concerns me only in that I don’t know how he’ll be if switching on to 3’s or 4’s even.

Also there is a reason "good" teams were enamored with Allen. Because he is more likely to provide instant value as a rookie, and most importantly, on a cheap rookie deal. So yeah, people may be right that he may never be a playoff starter and hover around 20 mpg for his career, but I see nothing wrong with taking players like that over swing-for-the-fence projects based off where we were selecting.

The negative reaction reminds me of when my Browns took Baker #1. Two of the most polarizing players in college sports.

I think you'll all feel better once you listen to DL interviews and his reasoning.
I’m still trying to figure out how he managed to get picked first overall?
The problem with the Allen pick is that he's neither the BPA nor draft for need... Both Musa and Williams fill the team's need better than Allen
In your opinion. In the opinion of the jazz he was. Who put in more money and scouting hours on all these athletes, you, or the jazz? He was best available. I wanted Brown, once he got picked, Allen was best available for the jazz in my opinion

As a sophomore Allen averaged 22/5/4 on 47/42 shooting splits. He cane back to school, and the next two years Duke recruited players that were better than him. His role was so
I ished from what it was when he had a very good year.

He never complained. He still went out and played as hard as he could while adjusting to a new role. To go from being a star, and then get told that you’re not the lead player anymore...that’s a tough pill to swallow. And he handled it well. Bit character issues bro!

He was asked to basically be a spot up shooter his senior season, after always having the ball in his hands, and yet he still managed to put up 15 a game and even with him being relegated to being a spotup shooter, he always manager to be the primary ball handler at the end of games of a close game.

I’m still trying to figure out how he managed to get picked first overall?

In your opinion. In the opinion of the jazz he was. Who put in more money and scouting hours on all these athletes, you, or the jazz? He was best available. I wanted Brown, once he got picked, Allen was best available for the jazz in my opinion

He was asked to basically be a spot up shooter his senior season, after always having the ball in his hands, and yet he still managed to put up 15 a game and even with him being relegated to being a spotup shooter, he always manager to be the primary ball handler at the end of games of a close game.
My opinion surely don't matter. Neither do yours... When I said BPA I meant "consensus". you know? by writers and scouts who are actually paid by websites to exclusively evaluate talents. ND's final mock has him at 38, tankathon at 34, ESPN at 28. So no, he's not considered by the majority to be BPA at 21.

well, except for DL i guess

Last edited:
Grayson Allen is garbage....Utah Jazz will never win or beat Golden State Warriors with this pick.
Yes, and the person on the board at 21 who could have made us as good Golden State was....... because he is the next Kevin Durant.

This is basically how I feel right now...

Those questioning our approach to the draft have justification... those saying trust DL also have justification.

I would be okay with selling a second rounder if this was the only year we had done it... we have placed little or no value on the second round for 4 years and have primarily used it as a means to generate cash. Those saying it’s just the second round... who cares? We could have been buying picks or using those picks to find someone... any one pick doesn’t mean much but over 4 years you have a real shot at finding something of real value... it’s a wart on the current administration’s record imo... maybe it comes from ownership, but if the FO can’t find a guy they like enough to take a flier on they are being too picky... good prospects have been there and we’ve passed.

Also there is a reason "good" teams were enamored with Allen. Because he is more likely to provide instant value as a rookie, and most importantly, on a cheap rookie deal. So yeah, people may be right that he may never be a playoff starter and hover around 20 mpg for his career, but I see nothing wrong with taking players like that over swing-for-the-fence projects based off where we were selecting.

So very much “this”.

Because a kid is 22-23 doesn’t mean his skills are now just utterly useless. It just means that homerun potential is lower.

For a team like us and some others, that’s completely alright and actually useful in some regards.

He’s a basketball player that does a **** ton of stuff REALLY good and gives all of the ***** about winning. No, you cannot say that about most. Hell, you prob can’t say it about half of them. They want more “likes” and “retweets” and “views” than they care, deep in their soul, about winning.

This kid will help us win basketball games. <hard period

Allen isn't an exciting pick but it makes a ton of sense.

-We already have our young superstar in DM so adding a "safe" prospect to a young, competitive team is a smart move & signifies that DL believes the championship foundation is already in place.

-He fills multiple needs as a shooter & secondary playmaker. He's also a great fit alongside all 3 of Rubio, Exum, & Mitchell.

-Gobert immediately helps cover up one of his biggest weaknesses. And the fact that he's a willing defender with good athleticism makes it likely that QS can help him to improve.

-His mentality is perfect for this team. I imagine this was a prerequisite as DL has clearly put an emphasis on hustle/competitiveness.

Allen is a mental midget like Hood... Gets frustrated and lose control real easily. Count ourselves lucky if this guy can even survive three years of high intensity NBA basketball

Hood = Allen is the worst take ever. I'm serious. A casual observer can see that they are completely different personalities.

For the 50th billionth time, height isn’t what you’re looking for.

Wingspan.

His wingspan is about an inch shy of league average for 2’s. So size wise, he can guard 1/2. He’ll guard the weaker of whoever Mitchell or Exum don’t take.
Height surely isn't everything we're looking for in terms of evaluating a player's defensive ability. But wingspan surely isn't either. What about lateral quickness? vertical reach?

FYI, Trey Burke, who happens to be a nightmare defender, has a 6' 5.5' wingspan. But that doesn't make him capable of guarding anyone in the league

Also did you just repeated what I said? "Allen is bout an inch shy of league average for 2's". So he holds no size advantage over guards in the league.

Allen surely has some notable strengths. Unfortunately I don't think size is one of them. Largely cuz he's only 6'3, as opposed to the reported 6'5.

Height surely isn't everything we're looking for in terms of evaluating a player's defensive ability. But wingspan surely isn't either. What about lateral quickness? vertical reach?

FYI, Trey Burke, who happens to be a nightmare defender, has a 6' 5.5' wingspan. But that doesn't make him capable of guarding anyone in the league

Also did you just repeated what I said? "Allen is bout an inch shy of league average for 2's". So he holds no size advantage over guards in the league.

Allen surely has some notable strengths. Unfortunately I don't think size is one of them. Largely cuz he's only 6'3, as opposed to the reported 6'5.

If he’s 6’3 with a 6’7 wingspan it’s no different than if he was 6’5 with a 6’7 wingspan. This isn’t difficult.

Allen does hold a size advantage over 1’s. He’ll be a fine team defender. I’m not worried about it. He’ll be a better defender than Hood, guaranteed.