What's new

Lauri Markkanen Hype & Appreciation Thread

Since Lauri started taking more shots... analytics started loving him even more.

Ranks 7th in WAR
1673455919760.png

3rd in Field Goal added (stat that combines volume and efficiency, showing how many points each player has added over league shooting average) and 1st for non-centers (stat favours large volume centers, because they have such high FG%).
1673456115744.png

17th in PER but there he is gonna be handicapped all season because of his high early season minutes and low shot totals...
18th in PIE, almost tied with Mitchell (15.7 vs 15.8)

Still ranks only 75th in usage rate and 109th in touches... but trending upwards.

Since Lauri started taking more shots... analytics started loving him even more.

Ranks 7th in WAR
View attachment 13673

3rd in Field Goal added (stat that combines volume and efficiency, showing how many points each player has added over league shooting average) and 1st for non-centers (stat favours large volume centers, because they have such high FG%).
View attachment 13674

17th in PER but there he is gonna be handicapped all season because of his high early season minutes and low shot totals...
18th in PIE, almost tied with Mitchell (15.7 vs 15.8)

Still ranks only 75th in usage rate and 109th in touches... but trending upwards.

That WAR list is a great list to be on.

The Jazz's offense is 3rd and Markannen is heavily involved in that. So adjusted, yeah he should be the 3rd best offensive player. This is a good sign for him to come. Maybe, just maybe he is KD lite.

Do we keep him and build around his skill set or trade him for more pieces?

I don't see a reason to trade him.
No one is going to offer Haliburton tier floor general or a bunch of unprotected firsts that are probable to be top 10 picks. That is like the one reason how Ainge would even considering to move him. Still just 25 old seve footer that can punish inside and outside. First season where he is used with this volume and in his ideal role and the jump in production to his career average scoring is huge. And efficient af.

I don't see a reason to trade him.
No one is going to offer Haliburton tier floor general or a bunch of unprotected firsts that are probable to be top 10 picks. That is like the one reason how Ainge would even considering to move him. Still just 25 old seve footer that can punish inside and outside. First season where he is used with this volume and in his ideal role and the jump in production to his career average scoring is huge. And efficient af.
I agree he can be a pivotal piece to our success and already is one of our stepping stones

The most stunning progression curve in Lauri's numbers imo is his ability to get to the charity stripe. I know its a result of the defense thrown at him... but for me FTA has always been one big measure of being a star or a superstar.

Career best season FTA per game: 3.8 (2018-19)
Career best single month in FTA per game (min 4 games played): 6.5 (February 2019)

This season FTA per game: 5.5

But while the number for the whole season is an impressive improvement... it hides the true stunner.

Monthly progression:
October 3.9 - 67th in the league
November 4.4 - 56th in the league
December 6.2 - 23rd in the league
January 9.8 - 8th in the league

His October FGA per game (17.0) was higher than December (16.1)... but his FTA was still far lower. He wasnt guarded as tight and couldnt draw the calls. But ever since he has been "locked down"... hello charity stripe.