What's new

Malone is not coming to the Jazz reunion event due to "prior" commitments

Wow that sucks. If you don't have both Stockton and Malone there together kind of a bummer considering its the best duo ever... Thats the same as the Bulls doing an event in like manner and Pippen being there but MJ not showing up...

It's too bad if he's holding that against the Jazz. Karl has been very all over the place in retirement and I seriously doubt he would have held down some sort of permanent job offer from the Jazz when there's so much hunting and fishing to be done.

It doesn't matter if Karl's slight is real or imagined, it's what he feels. And Karl was "all over the place" when he played here as well. It seemed like every summer he found something the Jazz did or didn't do that dissed him, after several years of which, Larry finally quit wasting his time trying to soothe Karl's butt hurt and would just shake his head and walk away.

Wow that sucks. If you don't have both Stockton and Malone there together kind of a bummer considering its the best duo ever... Thats the same as the Bulls doing an event in like manner and Pippen being there but MJ not showing up...
No, it's much more like Jordan will be there and Pippen won't.

I think fans of the 90s Jazz have Stockton edging out Malone for top spot in our hearts.

But I'm surprised Stockton will make it. He's not into that type of stuff. And I haven't seen any evidence that he feels any connection to the state since he left.

I think fans of the 90s Jazz have Stockton edging out Malone for top spot in our hearts.

But I'm surprised Stockton will make it. He's not into that type of stuff. And I haven't seen any evidence that he feels any connection to the state since he left.
He's been to a few of the games. And they had another promotion he showed up for (not sure which one). And yea Stockton was my favorite player though Malone was probably the Better player.

Well, Malone's ties to the Jazz were primarily through Larry and Jerry. There is no one in the current Jazz organization that Malone gives a whit about. The fact that the Jazz refused his offer of help with coaching or player training had to offend him, so why should he care about a Jazz promotion?

Be content with our memories and move on.
I love Malone but he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. Just because someone is a hall of famer it doesn't automatically make anything they say as valuable to younger players. You've seen the analysis made by the TNT HOFs. Most of their insight is drivel. I could honestly see him say a bunch of **** about being hard nosed yadda yadda and not actually give the players anything to take away that's actually useful except maybe he thinks they're a ***** and needs to get of his lawn.

"using your expiring assets to add depth to the squad rocks the boat too violently and may destroy our delicately balanced beamed cakk bakk" - me

Last edited by a moderator:
Karl can do whatever he wants. Maybe he's doing a huge bbq with family or spending a whole day at Disneyland with the neice. Hell, he could be planning to snort crack for the entire day for all we care. Karl is gonna do what Karl gonna do. Let the man be.

I love Malone but he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. Just because someone is a hall of famer it doesn't automatically make anything they say as valuable to younger players. You've seen the analysis made by the TNT former HOFs. Most of their insight is drivel. I could honestly see him say a bunch of **** about being hard nosed yadda yadda and not actually give the players anything to take away that's actually useful except maybe he thinks they're a ***** and needs to get of his lawn.

"using your expiring assets to add depth to the squad rocks the boat too violently and may destroy our delicately balanced beamed cakk bakk" - me

It's a pick and roll league now and KM is aN undisputed master. Can he pass that knowledge along? I don't know but if he cold it would be very valuable.

Last I heard of any interaction between Malone and the Jazz was when they hired him to work out Kanter and Favors. That just sort of faded away and it's seemed pretty quiet between the 2 parties ever since.

Training did not go well and was squashed.

Steve Luhm‏ @sluhm
Strange: Karl Malone missed 10 games in 18 seasons and now some fans are criticizing him for being unable to attend a 1996-97 team reunion.
Couldn't agree more. Whether he's busy or just doesn't want to come, he doesn't owe whiny Jazz fans an explanation.

Top spot in our hearts, absolutely. But late 90's Malone was a better player than late 90's Stockton. And that's no diss to Stock at all because even at the age of 40 he had the PER of an Allstar and you could make a case no PG (especially at 6'1) has ever aged more gracefully basketball wise. It's just that Malone was damn damn good.

Couldn't agree more. Whether he's busy or just doesn't want to come, he doesn't owe whiny Jazz fans an explanation.

I don't think fans are being "whiny" when they simply point out that it's strange that Karl will be missing the event. I'm personally not losing any sleep over it even if I do think there's more to it than Karl just being otherwise engaged.

I don't think fans are being "whiny" when they simply point out that it's strange that Karl will be missing the event. I'm personally not losing any sleep over it even if I do think there's more to it than Karl just being otherwise engaged.

Nah, it's whiny. Jazz fans were lucky enough to have S&M for almost 20 years, and the only thing some people come away with is that they never won a ring. Pretty ****in' lame.

I agree completely. Championships are the goal. But if you lived through the 90's as a Jazz fan you understand what I mean by over the hump. We had several good teams that fell short in the Western Conference playoffs. And if you lived through the 90's you understand how big it was when Stockton it that 3 in Game 6 of the WCF to finally get us to the Finals. It wasn't the ultimate goal but it was still a huge moment.

I did. I started watching them in 1992. I started following them from all the way out here in Los Angeles. A world away from the "state of Salt Lake City." Yes, Johnny's historical shot is memorable. As a Jazz fan, I can't disagree with that but that's not what we are talking about here. No other historically successful franchise, as far as I know, does these type of "orange slice" type celebrations.