What's new

More Mitchell Love

So if you have one a better shooter and better scorer and the other a better passer and better defender... wouldn’t that mean co-ROY? Both are great and both deserve it. Only thing against Simmons is he isn’t a rc. And only thing against Donovan is he plays for a small market. Both need to be recognized. And anything else would be a huge let down.

I hope its a shared award.

Im in neither camp tbh. The only people who are wrong in this argument are those who have a clear winner or one way in front of the other.

He isn’t a rookie though. What year was he drafted?
This argument has no merit. He is going to be on the ballot. If this is anyone’s main argument, you don’t have one. There are legitimate arguments Donovan deserves the award, Simmons not being a rookie isn’t one of them.

If I had an actual vote I’d vote Donovan, because of the weight he has on his shoulders, the amount he’s depended on offensively, and the amount of 2nd half and 4th quarter scoring he has accomplished. He is a big reason for a lot of wins this season, and vital to this team. Donovan has the work load/heroics/team dependence argument. Simmons has the stats/efficiency argument.

They play different roles, and are simply different players who are asked to do different things. They both are exactly what their team needs them to be. They are both incredible.

I hope Donovan gets it because at least he continually says he doesn’t care if he wins the award, and Ben Simmons continually says the award should be his. Donovan’s a genuinely humble guy, Simmons seems to be a genuinely arrogant guy.....but that’s not really the merits of the award.

The FACT that Donovan has made it a race is incredible in and of itself. The award has been Simmons since before the start of the season. That said, it is a race and a close one at that. The league is a star focused league, and while there is no doubt Simmons contributes to his team's wins and is a future star, Donovan has an IT factor that is undeniable. I am a Jazz fan so I would love for the Spida to win it. It is not an empirical argument though. You can't add up the strengths and weaknesses of the players pick a winner. It's going to be a beauty/popularity contest. I could make an argument for either, but it is going to boil down to the individual preferences of the voters.

Simmons is a rookie. However, he clearly has an advantage by being with the team for a year (conditioning, training, coaching etc.) I am afraid Donovan's shooting slump is the once feared rookie wall. He looks worn down at times. That he is able to summon the energy to close games strongly and will himself to perform like he does bodes well for the future. I think with an off season under his belt he will be even more impressive.

Different DRAFT CLASS
Same ROOKIE YEAR

If he is a Rookie in the eyes of the NBA, what you think means SFA. You sound like a whiny child.

Did he get paid by the nba last year? Not a rookie.
You sound like a stupid bitch

He might not be a rookie in your eyes but you dont have a vote, so what you think means SFA. Keeping stamping your feet and throwing a tatrum though.
You are correct that the rule as written considers Ben Simmons a rookie this year.

I will simply point out that it’s not just fans who have voiced their belief that such a policy is unfair to the true rookies coming in from college or international play.

Pundits, players and coaches have all mentioned it in interviews this season. Whether that plays a part in how people vote is yet to be decided. I could easily see it being the case. I know that if I had a vote, it would certainly effect my decision. I imagine that there’s others who have a vote that will agree with that belief as well.

You are correct that the rule as written considers Ben Simmons a rookie this year.

I will simply point out that it’s not just fans who have voiced their belief that such a policy is unfair to the true rookies coming in from college or international play.

Pundits, players and coaches have all mentioned it in interviews this season. Whether that plays a part in how people vote is yet to be decided. I could easily see it being the case. I know that if I had a vote, it would certainly effect my decision. I imagine that there’s others who have a vote that will agree with that belief as well.

You're right. Theres heaps of salty bitches around.

Theres also a huge "Pro-America" contingent Simmons is up against which goes to your point imo. I dont see this being as big an issue if Simmons was an American.

He might not be a rookie in your eyes but you dont have a vote, so what you think means SFA. Keeping stamping your feet and throwing a tatrum though.

Stamping my feet and throwing a tantrum? What are you talking about? I haven’t even said anything negative about Simmons or positive about Mitchell or even said who I think is better or more deserving or anything. I just said that Simmons is not a rookie and I don’t think he should be eligible. I understand that he is and that the voters will vote for him and I don’t give a ****.

Continue being a little bitch

I would be very surprised if Mitchell wins it. Simmons is pretty much a lock, imo. I do think Gobert will win DPOY though..

Theres also a huge "Pro-America" contingent Simmons is up against which goes to your point imo. I dont see this being as big an issue if Simmons was an American.

You are the only salty bitch. If this was Donovan’s 2nd year in the nba and Simmons 1st year then I would think it would be dumb to give Donovan the rookie of the year award too. Since I think you should have to be in your first year in the nba to be a rookie. I dont think griffin should have won it either.

So, when they gave those MVP's to Nash instead of Kobe, was because that huge "Pro-Canadian" bias from NBA's sportswriters? How about that "Pro-German" bias with Dirk the next year? Right.

This argument has no merit. He is going to be on the ballot. If this is anyone’s main argument, you don’t have one. There are legitimate arguments Donovan deserves the award, Simmons not being a rookie isn’t one of them.

If I had an actual vote I’d vote Donovan, because of the weight he has on his shoulders, the amount he’s depended on offensively, and the amount of 2nd half and 4th quarter scoring he has accomplished. He is a big reason for a lot of wins this season, and vital to this team. Donovan has the work load/heroics/team dependence argument. Simmons has the stats/efficiency argument.

They play different roles, and are simply different players who are asked to do different things. They both are exactly what their team needs them to be. They are both incredible.

I hope Donovan gets it because at least he continually says he doesn’t care if he wins the award, and Ben Simmons continually says the award should be his. Donovan’s a genuinely humble guy, Simmons seems to be a genuinely arrogant guy.....but that’s not really the merits of the award.

Fair enough, fair enough.

I take exception to the true rookie argument though. Blake would have won it in his first year anyway(not a big fan).

So, when they gave those MVP's to Nash instead of Kobe, was because that huge "Pro-Canadian" bias from NBA's sportswriters? How about that "Pro-German" bias with Dirk the next year? Right.

The arguments around Simmons is his eligibility and I dont think the noise around it would be as loud if he was American.