What's new

NBA awards

Tony Jones picks Don for all-nba 3rd team. :D
Unfortunately he's the only one. :mad:

Update: Tom Thibodeau takes the lead

Rudy is what he is - arguably the most impactful defender of all time.
This year he ended with a defensive rating of 100.5, and the next-closest, Simmons, was at 106.1. but behind him were 3 other guys at 106, with just the fraction being higher. Rudy does this year-in and year-out. It won't be too many more seasons and this point won't be arguable anymore.

SLO MO JOE! I did not see that happening. I do think clarkson deserves it over ingles. But no shade I love ingles too. JC has just been so aggressive at getting his bucket. Ingles is a more cerebral player.

Just did some researching on DPOY.

There has never been a unanimous DPOY. Closest was Ben Wallace with 116/120 1st place votes in 2001-02.

When Rudy wins this year he will join Dwight Howard, Dikembe Mutombo and Ben Wallace as the only players to win DPOY 3x.

Rudy has finished top-3 in DPOY voting 5 years in a row.

Good watch
The best part imo? With rudy on the court the jazz are the 4th best defensive team in the history of the nba.
When rudy is on the bench the jazz are the 28th best defensive team in the nba in 2020-21.

That right there is insane folks. Basically without gobert we might be the worst defense in the nba. With gobert we might be the best defensive team of all time.

SLO MO JOE! I did not see that happening. I do think clarkson deserves it over ingles. But no shade I love ingles too. JC has just been so aggressive at getting his bucket. Ingles is a more cerebral player.
Wish they could do a shared award. This is the ideal time to split it.

Just did some researching on DPOY.

There has never been a unanimous DPOY. Closest was Ben Wallace with 116/120 1st place votes in 2001-02.

When Rudy wins this year he will join Dwight Howard, Dikembe Mutombo and Ben Wallace as the only players to win DPOY 3x.

Rudy has finished top-3 in DPOY voting 5 years in a row.
Here's is a good article regarding advanced defensive stats. Looks like Gobert had a historic defensive season, arguably the best defensive season in the last 30+ seasons. With those kinds of stats if he doesn't win DPOY then that is full evidence it is all rigged.

The best part imo? With rudy on the court the jazz are the 4th best defensive team in the history of the nba.
When rudy is on the bench the jazz are the 28th best defensive team in the nba in 2020-21.

That right there is insane folks. Basically without gobert we might be the worst defense in the nba. With gobert we might be the best defensive team of all time.
Holy ****.

So we officially have 2 of the 3 finalists for 6th man. Crazy. We also have the top finalist for DPOY. We also have a starting 5 with 3 all-stars. This should all bode well, right?

So we officially have 2 of the 3 finalists for 6th man. Crazy. We also have the top finalist for DPOY. We also have a starting 5 with 3 all-stars. This should all bode well, right?

Yes.
And homecourt advantage throughout.
And don't we have a coach of the year finalist?

Things are lining up.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Anyone read Hollinger's article in the Athletic on end of season awards and all NBA teams? Heaps of love for Rudy.

Care to share?
He had his three finalists for DPOY being all Rudy. It’s a small blurb. I went looking for it and read the playoff preview article and he was criticizing LAC for tanking into the harder bracket to face us on the second round and how they lost to us twice and only beat us once by the skin of their teeth, but later in the article when he talked about us, he said LAC beat us twice and would probably beat us in the second round.

Here’s the Hollinger article that makes no sense:

The Clippers beat Phoenix twice and narrowly lost to them when Kawhi Leonard was out. Conversely, they lost to Utah twice, and the one win was by the skin of their teeth.

Then way later in the article:

If I’m Utah, the path I want to avoid is having to go Clippers-Suns en route to the Finals. The Suns beat them three times in the regular season, and the Clippers beat them twice; both seem to possess a particular kryptonite to the Jazz’s playing style in that they shoot so many jumpers that it makes Rudy Gobert’s all-encompassing rim protection much less of a factor.

IMO, this is the best Jazz team that I've seen. Yes, Stockton and Malone may be better individually better than any player on the current roster. However, as a whole, I feel that they are the best as a unit. The depth has never been better. Clarkson and Bogie are getting hot at the right time, and what about Niang? If we can get consistency from the other big 3 (Gobert, Mitchell, Conley), there definitely is a chance.

IMO, this is the best Jazz team that I've seen. Yes, Stockton and Malone may be better individually better than any player on the current roster. However, as a whole, I feel that they are the best as a unit. The depth has never been better. Clarkson and Bogie are getting hot at the right time, and what about Niang? If we can get consistency from the other big 3 (Gobert, Mitchell, Conley), there definitely is a chance.
And Joe
Conley
Mitchell
Bogey
Joe
Jordan
Niang
And even Royce is a decent 3 ball shooter.

That's a lot of lethal 3 point snipers

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

If bogey can play strong like he has lately without drop off of the other players then they have a great shot at a title. So impressed with him of late. I still worry about his defense late in games. Power forwards expose him.

I also have yet to hear of a practical way to stop the Lakers. Can we stop a team that is that much bigger than us? Our back court is tiny.