What's new

Neto or Burke -- Who will be better? (Gun to your head)

Who will be better

• Total voters
Neto will be special. He is the real deal.

I don't say that he will be the next Rubio who was great with the younger national team but was bad in his last seasons in the Spanish league (and now looks like an All-Star) but what I'm saying is that he has the tools to be very special. The Spanish league is a much better league than the NCAA. You play with tough players, veterans and guys that played in the NBA. It's the most difficult league to play before you go to the NBA and many don't get this fact.

He was a steal in this draft. Lindsey did an incredible job. Neto definitely should have gone in the first round and maybe in the top 20. I don't overrate him. Just wait three years and see. I'd rather see him start this season. You guys say we went nuts just because of one Summer League game. No. It's because he has shown some brilliance in the past, too.

The 2 people who voted for Neto need to be banned..
why have a poll ,just throw a party for Burke and leave Neto in Spain so he doesnt put any competition pressure on Burke because he has so much it factor that it would hurt Treys confidence. cmon guys everyone has the right to an opinion.I hope Trey is great but I dont see it yet.I do on the other hand see it in Neto. I think the Jazz see it too and thats why they brought him to the summer league to put pressure on Burke and see what Trey is made of.

Neto has been playing against pros for years. Burke has been playing against amateurs and scrubs for years. Give Burke some time.

Neto has been playing against pros for years. Burke has been playing against amateurs and scrubs for years. Give Burke some time.

I've always wondered if it's harder to transition from the international game to the Nba, or college to the nba.

Niether.

Gobert. I think his size and athleticism will be huge in the coming years. You can't teach or develop size. Typically, quality bigs are gone in the first few picks of a draft anyway.

I've always wondered if it's harder to transition from the international game to the Nba, or college to the nba.
Because of the level of competition I think it takes longer for college players to adjust to the speed of the game and overall talent level of their opponents, at least when compared to players coming from high end professional leagues overseas.

I'm actually not overly impressed by Neto. He often plays out of control. And he has serious limitations defensively. If I were picking for a street ball game, I'd take Neto right now. And obviously Burke is really struggling. But I'm not going to write him off...yet.

I'm actually not overly impressed by Neto. He often plays out of control. And he has serious limitations defensively. If I were picking for a street ball game, I'd take Neto right now. And obviously Burke is really struggling. But I'm not going to write him off...yet.

I haven't seen many instances where he plays out of control. The only instances I can remember is when he drives into the paint and the big man comes and helps, and suddenly he's scrambling to save the possesion. That's something we saw a lot with Nash in a Laker uniform. Also I saw it a lot in Rubio's first season in Minny.

I think overall he shows that he knows when to push the tempo, when to give the ball up in the half court, when to attack, and how to make decisions off the pick and roll.

However, like Rubio, Neto was a very pesky defender overseas, but will have to adjust a lot to stay in front of his man at this level. Though, I feel the question of defense is always there when we talk about international guards.

I haven't seen many instances where he plays out of control. The only instances I can remember is when he drives into the paint and the big man comes and helps, and suddenly he's scrambling to save the possesion. That's something we saw a lot with Nash in a Laker uniform. Also I saw it a lot in Rubio's first season in Minny.

I think overall he shows that he knows when to push the tempo, when to give the ball up in the half court, when to attack, and how to make decisions off the pick and roll.

However, like Rubio, Neto was a very pesky defender overseas, but will have to adjust a lot to stay in front of his man at this level. Though, I feel the question of defense is always there when we talk about international guards.
Obviously, just like we're hoping will happen with Burke, Neto will have to make adjustments. AS you mentioned, I noticed Raul seemed over anxious at times to force the action and was dribbling into pressure, resulting in either a T/O or a bad possession. Of course, it's also SL...he's trying to make plays and doesn't know where the other players are going to or are supposed to be. The defense is what concerns me the most. Haven't seen him play outside of SL so don't know how he was in the ACB. I saw Burke use his feet pretty well to stay with his man. Neto will have to learn to do the same.

I really hope the following happens in the off season:

- Burke gives Stockton a call or pays him a visit and talk through things, watch tapes, practice, etc.

- Burke really work on his shot

- Neto comes over, I don't care, He can't shoot anyway, so he'll always be a backup. It will take him 1-2 years to figure out how to shoot the basketball and by then Burke would have solidify himself as our starter

- A very very early Summer Camp to get everyone on the same page.

oh man, just don't kill me, man! ummm...... ummmm..... Trey Burke.

tumblr_mg5y0o3kFX1rjrv3uo1_500.gif

- Burke gives Stockton a call or pay him a visit and talk through things, watch tapes, practice, etc.

- Neto comes over, I don't care, He can't shoot anyway, so he'll always be a backup. It will take him 1-2 years to figure out how to shoot the basketball and by then Burke would have solidify himself as our starter

Rubio can't shoot either, but he's not considered a backup.
Also I'm not sure where you got that Neto can't shoot.
In a tougher league, Neto shot 48.5% from the floor and 39% from 3.*
I mean I guess you can argue that the percentages are of a lower sample size, but still....

* = Source:https://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Raul_Neto/Lagun_Aro_Gipuzkoa_BC/162119

- Burke gives Stockton a call or pay him a visit and talk through things, watch tapes, practice, etc.

Not being able to shoot doesn't mean you'll always be a back up, you don't need to be able to shoot to have a dominant impact on the game (just ask Rubio and Rondo). Especilly considering how many players have had to improve their shots in their transtion to the nba game. Simply not being able to shoot won't guarantee he'll always be a back up, especilly if Trey struggles running the offense against the bigger athletic guards in the nba.

If Trey's size and athletism become a liabilty, I can guarentee you that Neto will have more than one chance to fight for that starting pg spot, even without a jumpshot.

Imo Neto would really benifit from learning under Stock, because he already exhibits good decision making, and is always looking to pass the ball first.

Let me just clarify, that I'm not competley sold on Neto, but I haven't been sold on Trey Burke, ever since I watched him in college and realized that his game might not translate into the nba. There's a reason why guys like Chris Paul are so special, that's because it's hard for undersized guards to play in this leauge, especilly ones who aren't supremly athletic

Rubio can't shoot either, but he's not considered a backup.
Also I'm not sure where you got that Neto can't shoot.
In a tougher league, Neto shot 48.5% from the floor and 39% from 3.*

* = Source:https://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Raul_Neto/Lagun_Aro_Gipuzkoa_BC/162119

Well may be can't shoot is too strong a word, I guess I'm saying "compared to Burke, he isn't as good a shooter"

Kinda like comparing Tinsley's shooting to Watson... not much in it, but Tinsley has the edge.

Well may be can't shoot is too strong a word, I guess I'm saying "compared to Burke, he isn't as good a shooter"

Kinda like comparing Tinsley's shooting to Watson... not much in it, but Tinsley has the edge.

I think he has better shot selection, than Burke from what I've see, and contrary to popular belief that's extremely important when it comes to shooting the ball. Burke often times takes weird step back jumpers, when it would be much easier just going straight up, or swinging the ball around the wing.

- Burke gives Stockton a call or pays him a visit and talk through things, watch tapes, practice, etc.

Incorrect...

Neto will be bad ***. Watch.

I think he has better shot selection, than Burke from what I've see, and contrary to popular belief that's extremely important when it comes to shooting the ball. Burke often times takes weird step back jumpers, when it would be much easier just going straight up, or swinging the ball around the wing.

In the SL with a lack of inside scoring Burke seems under pressure to create an offense.

But if you think about an actual Jazz game where the typical play is the PG brings the ball up, dumps it to Kanter/Favors, flash cut and stands on the 3pt line, the ball swings back out and around and the PG has to hit that 3pt set shot. We probably run that play about 10+ times per game.

I think Burke can hit that shot consistently if he works on it (he was doing that OK in the College, no reason to doubt he can't do it again). I haven't seen Neto play enough to say whether he can do that or not, so the benefit of the doubt goes to Burke.

Never was really sold on either of them. Face it this class of pg are pretty weak, if smart didn't drop out it,s doubtful burke would have this much hype. I thought for sure jazz would pick up a third big at 14 but gobert seems like he might work out just as well as a 14th would have. Plus side is Undersized rookie point + oldest starter 24 = good shot at wiggins.

Never was really sold on either of them. Face it this class of pg are pretty weak, if smart didn't drop out it,s doubtful burke would have this much hype. I thought for sure jazz would pick up a third big at 14 but gobert seems like he might work out just as well as a 14th would have. Plus side is Undersized rookie point + oldest starter 24 = good shot at wiggins.

Yeah I dunno.. Burke came from a pick and roll heavy offense that Michigan ran... virtually every offensive possession had a pick and roll in it somewhere. He was also surrounded by good shooters, Stauskus, Hardaway Jnr and GRIII, which made his life easier.

The Jazz offense is certainly different, there's no doubt about that. Burke also had to set a lot of screens, and you can tell in the SL games that he wasn't 100% comfortable doing them.

I'm a bit worried this is going to be similar to the Johny Flynn scenario when he first came out and was forced to run the triangle offense with the T'Wolves...