What's new

Game Thread Oct 14, 2023 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Trail Blazers (Preseason)

Added to Calendar: 10-14-23

Based on the quality of looks we should have won the game by 30. Our ball movement was far superior and our first unit owned the rim. They also had no answer to Lauri.

We contested their shots way better and didnt give them too many easy buckets. They were still very efficient.

The score was more close than the game.

I think we win by 25 if it were a regular season game and we kept playing our main guys.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

The biggest concern everyone has had all off season was who is going to play point guard? Who will set everyone up? How will our offense be any good?
All along i have been saying we will be fine with the guys we have. I have posted stats showing were we awesome last year when conley was hurt. We have 4 good options.
Last night:

THT was awesome playmaking. Efficient scoring. 6 assists. 8 points on 4 shots. 17 minutes.

Sexton was awesome playmaking. Efficient scoring. 6 assists. 16 points on 7 shots. 19 minutes.

Dunn had 9 points on 4 shots. 4-4 from the field and 1-1 from three. Great defender.

Keyonte was awesome playmaking. Efficient scoring. 4 assists. 17 points on 8 shots. 23 minutes.

But they wont get lauri involved! Markennan had 26 points in 25 minutes. Not bad.

Our point guards combined last night were 13-23 from the field, 7-11 from three, 17-18 from the free throw line for a total of 50 points. Had 17 assists and 8 turnovers (tht and george each had three. Dunn had zero)

50 points on 57% from the field, 64% from three, and 94% from the line to go with 17 assists and 8 turnovers aint bad at all.

I think Dunn, sexton, and tht are all more than capable of leading this team and keyonte has a very bright future.

We are probably ****ed if lauri gets hurt though.

All along i have been saying i think we make the playoffs with the roster as is if we are healthy. I still think thats true.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Hard to draw many conclusions about our offense with an overwhelming size/strength difference like that. Lauri was a man among boys out there.

Our defense was atrocious though. I expect most teams to play us just like Portland did:

1) Drag Kessler away from paint action and keep him hovering somewhere in no-man's land. Most teams have bigs that can space the floor.
2) Relentlessly attack our weak guards with high pick and rolls and take easy midrange jumpers at the FT line if we manage to collapse the paint. Portland had like 67 of these.
3) Have Lauri chase guys around screens and attack him 1-on-1 to tire him out.

I’ve decided you’re one of the funniest trolls in JFC history. The dour little-brother routine has really been honed.

I don’t even remember who you are, but ever since you’ve come back it’s been obvious you’re my biggest fan. Appreciate it.

Sucking in practice shouldn’t keep a rookie off the floor in preseason. If so, shame on the jazz. My best guess is they are playing it safe with him since he had knee surgery in March

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hardy doesn’t give a damn about giving out free playing time. I don’t know why it’s so hard to believe that when he said he wouldn’t be giving out free playing time he meant it. Maybe Brice is still not 100%, but he was pretty clear that the reason he was not playing and the reason why anyone wouldn’t be playing is that they are not good enough at the moment.

There’s no charity here. No charity for rookies. No charity for guys who might get cut. Hardy is preparing for the season and playing the guys he thinks will factor into the rotation first and foremost. Luka and Tech might not make the team, but best believe they are getting the minutes because they are playing better. And to be honest, I think it would be terrible management to make a decision on the basis of a few preseason minutes. These guys are in the gym everyday practicing…if a guy gets hot/cold at the end of a preseason game it really should not matter as much as what’s happening everyday in the gym. Tech going 1/5 versus 3/5 or whatever should not decide his fate.

It works both ways though. While it’s a bad sign that Brice can’t minutes (not a death sentence), it’s also a very good sign that Keyonte has earned a spot in the rotation.

Last edited:
When the NBA shrinks the number of preseason games, coaching staffs don't have as much flexibility to test fringe players as they need to get their core ready.

I think the shorter preseason is great, but this is one of the outcomes from such a short schedule.

I give little to no weight to preseason performances. I want to see people perform when it matters.

I don’t even remember who you are, but ever since you’ve come back it’s been obvious you’re my biggest fan. Appreciate it.
Playing the ‘new phone who dis’ card is about the little brotherest move here. Well done.