What's new

Game Thread Oct 14, 2023 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Trail Blazers (Preseason)

Added to Calendar: 10-14-23

Portland is going to be good this season. Like us, they have a lot of depth.

We let Portland grab way too many offensive boards. I'm surprised Portland only had 15 2nd chance points. It felt like more.

We had too many turnovers as well but aside from that we were efficient on offense.

You watched that game and came away with that conclusion?

I think they have some good young talent and Anfernee is gonna score 25 a game… but they aren’t quite ready and I feel like Billups isn’t a good coach. I think they have guys that can get hot but will be a bottom 5 defense. Will win 30 games… will have nights they shoot well and other teams just miss shots despite portlands defense.

I think they have some good young talent and Anfernee is gonna score 25 a game… but they aren’t quite ready and I feel like Billups isn’t a good coach. I think they have guys that can get hot but will be a bottom 5 defense. Will win 30 games… will have nights they shoot well and other teams just miss shots despite portlands defense.

I like their future, but their team last night looked like it was at least a couple years away.

I really like Sharpe, but he's probably still a year away from being a positive. Scoot is amazing, but will make more bad decisions than good ones.

I might look to move Simons at the trade deadline because he is ready now and could get them a nice return. I also might not fit in with Sharpe and Scoot long term.

I like their future, but their team last night looked like it was at least a couple years away.

I really like Sharpe, but he's probably still a year away from being a positive. Scoot is amazing, but will make more bad decisions than good ones.

I might look to move Simons at the trade deadline because he is ready now and could get them a nice return. I also might not fit in with Sharpe and Scoot long term.
I agree but I’d keep Simons unless the return was good. He was a guy I wanted us to get when there were some rumors/indications he was on the market cheap… he’s one of the best shooters in the league and has more juice with the ball then he’s been allowed to show. He fits great with those guys for where they are in the process… will need more defense 1-3 when they become a playoff team.

That Portland is going to be good this season, they looked like a bottom 3 team in the league to me.
They have too much depth. Remember: they also have Williams, Ayton and Brogdon who didn't play.

They can endure injuries and could even trade Williams or Brogdon if they have a strong need.

I like their starting-5 and they're 9 or 10 deep. I think they'll eclipse their win total from last season; their defense is definitely improved as well.

Based on the quality of looks we should have won the game by 30. Our ball movement was far superior and our first unit owned the rim. They also had no answer to Lauri.

We contested their shots way better and didnt give them too many easy buckets. They were still very efficient.

The score was more close than the game.

They were also missing 3 quality rotation guys in Ayton, Brogdon and Robert Williams last night.

They have depth. Scoot and Sharpe are raw but talented, Simons, Grant, Ayton, Williams and Brogdon are all 25 minute quality guys in the NBA or better.

They are missing a star, but they could be a frisky regular season team.

They have depth. Scoot and Sharpe are raw but talented, Simons, Grant, Ayton, Williams and Brogdon are all 25 minute quality guys in the NBA or better.

They are missing a star, but they could be a frisky regular season team.
I think they got a steal in the Ayton trade with Toumani Camara. He looks like a really solid bench big that is ready to play right now. I would put money on Kris Murray also looking like a bench rotation guy within the first few months.

Also, Kris Dunn perfect from the field again? Before we signed him last year, he was crazy dominant in the GLeague. Then he played well for us at the end of the year. Now he's almost perfect in preseason. None of these things matter a ton on their own but....did we actually just find a really nice player? I think I feel comfortable saying that Kris Dunn is not only healthy but simply better than he was before.

I think he is our best option at point guard his season if we are prioritizing wins

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I think he is our best option at point guard his season if we are prioritizing wins

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
I agree but to be fair, the way THT and Clarkson played for the team looking to set up the bigs looked good also.

I feel like we got a lot of easy looks (especially the corner 3s) and dunks yesterday.

Also interesting stat: They took just 11 shots between them and combined for 12 assists.

Last edited: