What's new

Official UofU homer thread

Anyone want to give their season predictions? I will say 8-4. I am excited, but cautious. Im still waiting on the offense to take that major step. Getting Covey's big play ability back should help. Huntley has to find a way to stay healthy and consistent. I expect a big season from Moss. Our defense/special teams should be among the best in the pac 12. Its just about finding consistency in the offense that will say whether this team is a contender or pretender.

I won't say that they are the best team in the conference but I do think they are as good as the best. Top tier. With their schedule(playing all the best teams) they could finish 4th in the South or they could win it all.

Should be an exciting season of really good football.

I won't say that they are the best team in the conference but I do think they are as good as the best. Top tier. With their schedule(playing all the best teams) they could finish 4th in the South or they could win it all.

Should be an exciting season of really good football.

I’m just curious, what is their pre season ranking? Are they in the top 25?
I know Washington is pretty highly ranked (like 5th or something?). I think stanford is ranked pretty high too? I would guess Arizona is in the top 25. Maybe USC? Anybody else from the PAC make the top 25 pre season?

I know Washington is pretty highly ranked (like 5th or something?). I think stanford is ranked pretty high too? I would guess Arizona is in the top 25. Maybe USC? Anybody else from the PAC make the top 25 pre season?

Unranked which i actually like, Washington is 6, Stanford 13, USC 15, and Oregon 24. Arizona is unranked as well. People dont think much of the p12 south. Got something to prove.

Unranked which i actually like, Washington is 6, Stanford 13, USC 15, and Oregon 24. Arizona is unranked as well. People dont think much of the p12 south. Got something to prove.

Huh, I’m surprised Oregon is in and Arizona is out.
Did you see Boise in there? Where are you finding the rankings?

For me it's more about where I think they can go with internal improvement than what the AP thinks in August. Last season they had a freshman qb, freshman runningback, and first year OC. They may have lost some games but they proved they could hang. The D looks like it will be as good as they have had, the special teams will be amongst the best in the nation, and I expect a jump in production from the offense (fewer dumb young mistakes). I'm not saying that this will be a great team but I am saying that it might be/has the potential to be.

Anyone know what time and what channel tonights game will be?

I know that this game probably doesn't really matter (we all know who will win after all) but im curious what people think the score will be and what margin of victory would have ute fans a little worried about the team, what margin would have you really excited about the team.

For me im predicting 45-17 victory for the utes. I think they need to win by at least 20 to feel ok with the win. If the margin is less than 20 then i would be a little worried if i were a ute fan. If they win by 40 or so then I would be feeling pretty damn excited. I would expect a win by between 20-35 points or so.

Thoughts?

Going to the game tonight and the last 6 posts have helped me brush up so I don't seem like a total idiot.

I know that this game probably doesn't really matter (we all know who will win after all) but im curious what people think the score will be and what margin of victory would have ute fans a little worried about the team, what margin would have you really excited about the team.

For me im predicting 45-17 victory for the utes. I think they need to win by at least 20 to feel ok with the win. If the margin is less than 20 then i would be a little worried if i were a ute fan. If they win by 40 or so then I would be feeling pretty damn excited. I would expect a win by between 20-35 points or so.

Thoughts?

I almost nailed the score.
31 point win. That’s about right. Wonder what the spread was.

Weber state hasn’t beat an FBS team since 1993 lol.

The defense looked amazing. Chase Hansen was in beast mode. Laid out the qb for Weber a bunch of times

Cool to see Donovan Mitchell and Royce O’Neal there

What an ugly 1st quarter for the Utes.

Lots of stupid mistakes, which unfortunately is what killed the Utes at times the last few years. Having 4 TO against a better team will kill the Utes later in the season. Granted 2 of them were by backups.

What an ugly 1st quarter for the Utes.

Lots of stupid mistakes, which unfortunately is what killed the Utes at times the last few years. Having 4 TO against a better team will kill the Utes later in the season. Granted 2 of them were by backups.
Agreed but that is why you schedule a team like weber state in week one. Now they have film to look at and can fix some of those issues before they play a meaningful game. Next week is another team that should give them some good practice and good film to look at. (though Northern illinois is a much better team than weber state, should still be a somewhat comfortable win)

I thought the defense was basically perfect. (Chase might want to be a little more careful about headhunting the qb though. There were a couple hits that were borderline penalty territory. Loved the aggressiveness and nastiness though. The football rules today make it tough on defenders)
I though the offensive line was the biggest concern. I saw many times that moss was getting hit behind the line and at the line. Seemed like huntley was pressured too much as well. Speaking of huntley, he looks great from a physical/athletic standpoint but i think he needs to take some power off some of his throws and give his receivers an easier ball to catch.
Special teams had a few miscues (the blocked field goal and the muffed punt) but I really liked what i saw from that unit as a whole. i figure the special teams will once again be the top or near the top in the nation.

Could see utah having a top 5 defense and top 5 special teams in the country this year. Once again, like usual, the question is whether the offense can pull their weight to take the utes to a conference title.

Dat Covey roll out to pass/tuck and run doe

I though the offensive line was the biggest concern. I saw many times that moss was getting hit behind the line and at the line. Seemed like huntley was pressured too much as well.
This was my biggest concern. The other stuff is fixable, but if WS is getting this kind of pass rush and constantly in Moss’s grill when he gets the ball, what is a pac-12 team going to do. That’s a big concern for me.

I thought the defense was basically perfect. (Chase might want to be a little more careful about headhunting the qb though. There were a couple hits that were borderline penalty territory. Loved the aggressiveness and nastiness though. The football rules today make it tough on defenders)
I though the offensive line was the biggest concern. I saw many times that moss was getting hit behind the line and at the line. Seemed like huntley was pressured too much as well. Speaking of huntley, he looks great from a physical/athletic standpoint but i think he needs to take some power off some of his throws and give his receivers an easier ball to catch.
Special teams had a few miscues (the blocked field goal and the muffed punt) but I really liked what i saw from that unit as a whole. i figure the special teams will once again be the top or near the top in the nation.

Could see utah having a top 5 defense and top 5 special teams in the country this year. Once again, like usual, the question is whether the offense can pull their weight to take the utes to a conference title.

I am worried about the o-line after this game and I didn't think I would be. I don't think Huntley needs to take anything off his balls over the middle buy he needs to be more accurate on the long ball. Nacua needs to catch the ball along with some other guys. Yes covey is shifty but the biggest thing he is providing right now is a target you can rely on to catch the ball.