What's new

Official UofU homer thread

From cy:Damn, can't believe BYU choked that badly.

Prevent offense and prevent defense is usually a recipe that allows for comebacks.
I will never understand why coaches are like "hey,. What we have been doing has been working great so now let's do the opposite of what has been working and see how that goes."

So stupid. And I'm not just talking about this game. I always hate it when teams get a lead in football and suddenly stop passing and start being super predictable on offense and then stop blitzing and intentionally give up 10-15 yard plays in the middle of the field on the defensive side.

So dumb, yet most coaches at the collegiate and pro level do it. And then you see these stats of 4th quarter comebacks by qb's and it's almost always due to the change from a working/aggressive gameplan on offense and defense to a super vanilla/conservative gameplan on both sides of the ball.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

From bigb: The difference in this game was depth. Utah has it, BYU doesn’t.

Eh, I thought it was the change in strategy that byu made oncev they had a good lead. Oh and the extra point miss had an impact too.

I mean byu was down to their 6th string rb (ula tolatau, squally Canada, lopini, Hodge, hall, Hadley, Burt) and had a nice lead for God's sake.

I don't remember any utes getting hurt during this game but I saw 3 or 4 byu guys leave the field with injury. (Also saw ute lb and ex byu lb Francis Bernard throw a punch at Zach Wilson)

IDK, when. Saw a gif of it though. It wasn't anything to extreme though (I remember the byu o lineman nut punch a few years ago and that was worse) but it was a straight up punch while Wilson was down after being tackled (hit him in the stomach)
I don't even think it's that big a deal really and probably shouldn't have even mentioned it tbh.
I saw a lot of good sportsmanship in the game tonight. Multiple times I saw byu players helping ute players up off the ground. Also saw covey pat dyan gwalanokue on the helmet after dyan tackled covey on a punt return and helped covey up.

It was a pretty clean game from a sportsmanship standpoint imo.
Good game too. I just can't believe the 4th down call to hand it off on byu's 2nd to last possession (really their last possession imo). That's a job losing type of call imo. Got to let the qb try to make a plan with his arm or his legs.

IDK, when. Saw a gif of it though. It wasn't anything to extreme though (I remember the byu o lineman nut punch a few years ago and that was worse) but it was a straight up punch while Wilson was down after being tackled (hit him in the stomach)
I don't even think it's that big a deal really and probably shouldn't have even mentioned it tbh.
I saw a lot of good sportsmanship in the game tonight. Multiple times I saw byu players helping ute players up off the ground. Also saw covey pat dyan gwalanokue on the helmet after dyan tackled covey on a punt return and helped covey up.

It was a pretty clean game from a sportsmanship standpoint imo.
Good game too. I just can't believe the 4th down call to hand it off on byu's 2nd to last possession (really their last possession imo). That's a job losing type of call imo. Got to let the qb try to make a plan with his arm or his legs.

If I were a BYU fan, I would’ve been more upset with the third down play call before the 4th and one call. If they knew they’d go for it on fourth, they should’ve ran it on third down, that would’ve opened up playaction, or given them info that running up the gut wasn’t a good idea, maybe they would’ve ran toward the edge, I don’t know, but even worse then that was the third and 9 run up the gut right after there rb got hurt, I even said to myself specifically “there’s no way they run here” lol, and they run up the gut.

Congrats to the U. Helluva comeback and helluva choke job by BYU. Holmoe and the LDS general authorities have to be happy this series is coming to an end in a few years. BYU is clearly outmatched; they need to drop down to FBS level if they want to win consistently.

Not saying he didn’t, I must’ve missed it, when did it happen?
Never saw it on TV either, But I wouldn't be surprised Bernard was clearly playing with a chip on his shoulder. I thought he was going to get a personal foul penalty at some point the way he was playing.

However #5 on BYU committed a clear target on Covey. Had Utah not been in a hurry up offense at the time I think there is no question he would have been ejected. He launched at covey, used the crown of his helmet on the side of Covey's helmet while Covey was still in the air. You could see it on TV, just 2 quick replays, but then Utah snapped the ball just a few seconds later.

Congrats to the U. Helluva comeback and helluva choke job by BYU. Holmoe and the LDS general authorities have to be happy this series is coming to an end in a few years. BYU is clearly outmatched; they need to drop down to FBS level if they want to win consistently.
Nice trash talk but it's just not true after watching that team dominate the first 40 minutes of that game. Utah's defense finally showed up in the 2nd half, I disagree with Fish that BYU went conservative, it looked more like Utah took away what had been working for BYU and the cougs had no answer for it.

Nice trash talk but it's just not true after watching that team dominate the first 40 minutes of that game. Utah's defense finally showed up in the 2nd half, I disagree with Fish that BYU went conservative, it looked more like Utah took away what had been working for BYU and the cougs had no answer for it.

Also would add that BYU was gassed, Sitake said as much, I’m sure this played a role

Overall, a clean game. There were only like 4 or 5 penalties all game. Zero late hits or unsportsmanlike. That’s impressive. I didn’t see the Bernard punch fish is talking about. The Ghwanloku hit was questionable. My initial reaction was targeting, but they never reviewed it.
My biggest complaint was the call to give it to Riley Burt on 4th and 1 right up the gut. Everybody and their dog was expecting that. He hadn’t done anything to give me the confidence he could get that. I would have tried some kind of fake to him, have Wilson roll right with a TE running about five yards deep, giving Zach the option of running for it or throwing to the TE.

Overall, a clean game. There were only like 4 or 5 penalties all game. Zero late hits or unsportsmanlike. That’s impressive. I didn’t see the Bernard punch fish is talking about. The Ghwanloku hit was questionable. My initial reaction was targeting, but they never reviewed it.
My biggest complaint was the call to give it to Riley Burt on 4th and 1 right up the gut. Everybody and their dog was expecting that. He hadn’t done anything to give me the confidence he could get that. I would have tried some kind of fake to him, have Wilson roll right with a TE running about five yards deep, giving Zach the option of running for it or throwing to the TE.
I simply don't think they had the time. Utah went right to the line of scrimmage and snapped the ball. They were going very fast. The announcers said that looks like clear targeting, before he could finish his thought the next play was starting.

I simply don't think they had the time. Utah went right to the line of scrimmage and snapped the ball. They were going very fast. The announcers said that looks like clear targeting, before he could finish his thought the next play was starting.

I agree that it was targeting in how targeting is called.
I dont believe it was malicious or was done with ill intentions or dirty or anything though. (Not implying that you are saying it was dirty or anything btw)

Overall it was a good clean game with good sportsmanship. Sure there was a bit of trash talking here and there but thats football. Only thing i saw that wasnt very good sportsmanship was that punch by bernard (i didnt actually see it in game, i saw it in a gif this morning) and i heard that the ute players broke a sideline huddle chanting “**** byu” but that is pretty minor and just a part of a football rivalry too. (I didnt actually hear that btw i just saw another social media post that said that is what happened.

I agree that it was targeting in how targeting is called.
I dont believe it was malicious or was done with ill intentions or dirty or anything though. (Not implying that you are saying it was dirty or anything btw)

Overall it was a good clean game with good sportsmanship. Sure there was a bit of trash talking here and there but thats football. Only thing i saw that wasnt very good sportsmanship was that punch by bernard (i didnt actually see it in game, i saw it in a gif this morning) and i heard that the ute players broke a sideline huddle chanting “**** byu” but that is pretty minor and just a part of a football rivalry too. (I didnt actually hear that btw i just saw another social media post that said that is what happened.
I don't believe it was malicious, but do think it was dangerous and is the exact kind of hit they are trying to eliminate.

There is a far dirtier play than Bernard's supposed punch. I saw the replay and I don't believe he punched him. A BYU guy is pushing on a Utes neck after the play driving him into the ground, I believe it was Bushman with the dirty play. That was a more egregious foul than Utah's and is clearly seen in a video.

But I agree overall it was a fairly clean game. We all know this rivalry is rarely played with this few questionable plays and is rarely played without at least 3 Personal fouls let alone without any being called.

Just saw a different angle on Bernards supposed punch, it clearly shows him hitting the ground and not Wilson. Btw BYU has a player in Wilson, he looked pretty good. He showed a lot of composure out there.

Crazy game, the way BYU defense was dominating early on i was just happy to see a first down. They came out ready to play, Utah didnt. Think they were thinking ahead. But redeemed themselves at the end. I dont know if they showed it on tv but there was a long fireworks show after the game which was unexpected.

If I have one request for friday - if we find ourselves in a 3rd and short either go for the easy quick pass or a run instead of going for all or nothing deep pass. Yeah BYU defense played well but we also made it difficult on ourselves early when we didnt need to. Just move the chains.

If the Utes beat Washington, does anyone have any idea who the Utes might play in the rose bowl?
Winner of Big 10 title game, unless they go to the playoff. I think Ohio state will beat Northwestern but not sure they get a playoff invite. Michigan is the most likely, I think Ohio State will make the playoff if they beat Northwestern convincingly, that Michigan win was a jumping point to the playoff.