What's new

Pillow Talk: Inside Source Anne Johnson ( Phil Johnson`s wife)

The story makes sense to me.
Kindof lame though that the front office people would take a players side over the coach's on an issue after all these years even if the player is D-Will.
Makes me wonder if KOC just does whatever the owner wants, and Greg is that much more different than Larry was. Wasn't Sloan choked up during the press conference until Greg started to speak, then he looked a bit more firm?

I miss Larry, and now I miss Sloan and Phil.

I do think D-Will wants to win, and thinks he's the smartest basketball mind in the world, so I can see it going down like that.
Now I'm bugged at D-Will again.
Great.

Love you, Mr. Shelby, but I'm pretty sure the "good soldier" argument re: Deron is dead.

Not 'good soldier' in the traditional sense. Deron would sit on the end of the bench being benched like he was told. He knows what a public relations quagmire that is so he doesn't have to say anything about it. The effect is Jazz dirty laundry gets aired in public. And since he wants Sloan to leave, and the controversy can only help, why not let that happen? It furthers his agenda while he hasn't done anything affirmatively wrong (besides whatever got him benched which, in this case, is breaking a play.)

KOC and Miller wouldn't want any of that. Either Sloan saying he's quitting or Deron getting benched. But does anyone really think they would OVERRIDE Sloan's decision to bench Deron if that's what Sloan really wanted to do? No way. They persuaded him to finish out the game and sort everything out.

But again: Deron is too smart not to know the potential fallout of crying for management in this case.

Ive had the privilege of being able to meet Anne a few times and even go to Jazz games with her (she has 4 tickets 12th row behind the visitors bench)

My Grandma and her have been friends for about 15 years now (since my grandma opened up a beauty supply shop)

Today, my grandma called me and told me that Anne was in her store today and they were talking. Anne started to tear up. She said that the team had had quarrels for the past 3 weeks at every practice and at every game. As for the incident during the Chicago game, she said that Deron and Sloan had been at it for a few weeks prior to this arguing about how the team should be ran. She said that neither of them would bend for one another. She said during halftime of the Bulls game that Sloan said he was going to bench deron and then Deron called in the management during halftime. And it set sloan off, and thats when he made the decision.

She said that the players wouldnt buy into the system Jerry was trying to teach them.

So basically. Its the players fault for prompting Jerry into an Early retirement.

Believe me or not. I went to 3 games with her and my grandma last season.

I didnt want to post anything until I or my grandma had a chance to talk with her.

LOL @ all the believe the "press conferences because they are absolute" people.

It's just a shame Jerry Sloan isn't a big tub of lard like Rick Majerus. Then he could have sat on Williams until he apologized and this would have all blown over.

x_files.jpg

The Truth is out there

Everyone should have known that the press conference was going to be nothing but a bunch of BS before it even started. And if Deron was to be benched and they didn't want the bad media attention, why not just say he was sick or not returning due to muscle tightness or what not? Oh that's right, it's because he was getting his *** handed to him by Rose and that would have made him look like he was scared.

I don't buy bill's take. Too much calculating. it's a bball team, not a soap opera.

And yet you believe Deron would actually try to go over Sloan's head? How many times since Deron showed up do you figure he's seen any player ever go over Jerry's head on anything?

Not 'good soldier' in the traditional sense. Deron would sit on the end of the bench being benched like he was told. He knows what a public relations quagmire that is so he doesn't have to say anything about it. The effect is Jazz dirty laundry gets aired in public. And since he wants Sloan to leave, and the controversy can only help, why not let that happen? It furthers his agenda while he hasn't done anything affirmatively wrong (besides whatever got him benched which, in this case, is breaking a play.)

KOC and Miller wouldn't want any of that. Either Sloan saying he's quitting or Deron getting benched. But does anyone really think they would OVERRIDE Sloan's decision to bench Deron if that's what Sloan really wanted to do? No way. They persuaded him to finish out the game and sort everything out.

But again: Deron is too smart not to know the potential fallout of crying for management in this case.

I don't buy this because of the power Deron knows he holds over this franchise. He can say whatever he wants behind closed doors and that's where the Jazz will leave it. Not only would they be further disenfranchising a player by running to the media, but they'd go against everything they have built up and stand for. At that moment locker room trust is thrown out the window, and team candor would disappear.

Yeah, he would sit the bench (or more likely have a sprain), but that's not going to stop him from screaming KOC's ear off at halftime.

I don't buy this because of the power Deron knows he holds over this franchise. He can say whatever he wants behind closed doors and that's where the Jazz will leave it. Not only would they be further disenfranchising a player by running to the media, but they'd go against everything they have built up and stand for. At that moment locker room trust is thrown out the window, and team candor would disappear.

Yeah, he would sit the bench (or more likely have a sprain), but that's not going to stop him from screaming KOC's ear off at halftime.

This doesn't explain why Deron would bother calling KOC/Miller. He doesn't need to. More importantly, it isn't in his best interest. What's in his best interest is to get benched. That's why I'm saying KOC/Miller, of their own volition, hurried in to put out the fires.

Again, principle of Occam's razor, your description of Deron's thought process is too complicated to be likely, IMO.

Or someone in the coaching staff - maybe Sloan himself - informed management of the decision since it's a big ****ing deal. That's even more simple.

The story doesn't say that the front office took the player's side necessarily.

Read between the lines. I don't think there is much of a coincidence that Jerry leaves so soon after Larry dies.
Something is different, and I don't think it all has to do with Deron.

Hey, even though Karl Malone is full of hot air quite a bit of the time, his story falls right in line with the original poster of this thread... And to be honest, I would trust Karl Malones' word over a lot of the Deron apologists on this board, that's for sure.

Karl Malone not only said that Sloan would never quit and he was forced out, but he took a lot of veiled shots at Deron Williams for those that weren't paying attention...

I believe the story... Star players in all sports nowadays are always causing problems in the name of greed or because of their ego... And from seeing some of Derons whining crybaby antics as of late, the story rings true if you ask me...

JMO

semantic arguments over a hypthetical....

something was different , probably yes.

Jerry could have been fed up just that the team played bad again, or that Deron argued again, or that Deron went over his head, or that management even listened to Deron, regardless of what happened after that. On the other hand, Deron wasn't benched, so IF the telling is 100% accurate, it can be inferred that Jerry didn't get what he wanted...

semantic arguments over a hypthetical....

something was different , probably yes.

Jerry could have been fed up just that the team played bad again, or that Deron argued again, or that Deron went over his head, or that management even listened to Deron, regardless of what happened after that. On the other hand, Deron wasn't benched, so IF the telling is 100% accurate, it can be inferred that Jerry didn't get what he wanted...

Jerry didn't get what he wanted. I don't think anyone is in disagreement that there was a clash and management said no to some disciplinary measure that Sloan wanted. I think the only question is how that was brought to their attention. I don't see Deron going above anyone's head because that doesn't seem like his style to me but mostly because it seems more likely that someone in the coaching staff asked or informed management of the decision and they balked. I'm not sure Larry wouldn't have caved either, but I don't think the situation would've got to that point because Larry acted like the team's patriarch and mediator instead of just the owner or CEO of the group of companies.

To reiterate, I think the only question is how it came to the attention of management. I think it was a coach, but I don't know. FWIW, this is a good source (if true, and I buy it), but still subject to 2 people down the line in a session of telephone.