What's new

Roe v. Wade is going down

My daughter moved herself up 3 grades when she was in elementary school. She got bored in 1st grade, and had a few friends in our neighborhood in 4th, so one day after recess she just went with them. After the teacher talked to her and the principal and they let her stay in that class for a day, they found out she was nearly on that level in almost everything they were doing. They had no gifted program, per se, but they ended up letting her spend half her day in 3rd grade and half her day in 1st, where she helped other kids with reading and math.
No gifted program and teaching stuff two grade levels behind where she needed to be. Weird. Was that in Riverside County, California?

Last edited:
There is in my state, but I live in California so does that really surprise? The effort being pushed now is to have all kids, from the gifted to the remedial, take the exact same math classes through their sophomore year in the name of equity.
Did you even read that article?

The guidelines call on educators generally to keep all students in the same courses until their junior year in high school, when they can choose advanced subjects, including calculus, statistics and other forms of data science.
“For a significant number of students, the rush to calculus can have a significant detrimental effect on the necessary deep-level understanding of grade-level mathematics to succeed in subsequent coursework, and districts should be aware of this research to make well-informed choices,” said Brian Lindaman, a member of the math faculty at Cal State Chico and part of a team of heavy hitters from academia who wrote the framework together.

“We are seeking to elevate students and to bring them up,” Lindaman said. “We’re not bringing anyone down. We’d like to bring everyone up.”
As someone actually teaching calculus to the occasional student still struggling with square roots, rational expression addition, and difference-of-squares factoring, I completely understand the point about deep-level understanding. As a double-math major who never took calculus until I hit college, I also recognize that the rush to calculus is unnecessary.

My kids, who is in public school, is taking extracurricular math classes because what they "teach" him he learned 2 years ago and my kids is not freakishly smart.
Repetition builds memory. I remember encountering this every single year of school in almost every subject.

As for budgets, they way you paint the struggle implies you live in a very different world. Our local district is huge with over 121.000 kids and 239 schools. Funding has nothing to do with test scores and is instead set purely by enrollment weighted inversely by property values.

Schools in expensive neighborhoods get little money while schools in run down areas get the most money.
I presume you mean from the state. Has California abandoned local property taxes entirely for funding?

In California, only a quarter of the operational funding of K-12 schools comes from property taxes.
So, property taxes do make up a some of the difference.

The schools in the expensive neighborhoods make up their budget shortfalls by getting corporate sponsorship and fundraisers through a satellite organization that is sort of like a cross between a PTA and a private school board. For instance, at my kid's elementary school the librarian is not a district employee but is employed by the satellite organization. The satellite organization built the STEM lab in the school and bought Promethean interactive displays for all the classrooms. The satellite organization pays to send teachers to training classes over the summer. The school is technically a public school but in practice is a hybrid of public and private. The school isn't as impacted by district funding but is a slave to mandates in curriculum coming from the district office or state department of education.
Great for the expensive neighborhoods. I guess you've just explained why they don't need as much funding.

I presume you mean from the state. Has California abandoned local property taxes entirely for funding?
No, the reverse weighting is done by the district. Like I said, it is huge. The district takes in all the property tax money, state money, Mello-Roo money, etc., and pools it. Then they allocated to schools in the district based on their own internal formula which inversely weights local property values. The neighborhoods with mansions pay for the schools in the slums while the apartments in the slums pay for the schools near the mansions.

I don't mind the funding scheme. If the hindrance was limited to poor funding of high-performing school, there is a way around it. It is when the hindrance comes in the form of government and district mandates to forbid the teaching of an advanced curriculum to students ready for that level of rigor that I start to chafe. It is also why so many of my neighbors are now sending their kids to private schools where they can learn advanced subjects and won't have to return to school this fall all masked up. My local areas has some of the highest performing schools in the state and enrollment is plunging from the new district interference.

No gifted program and teaching stuff two grade levels behind where she needed to be. Weird. Was that in Riverside County, California?
Fernley, NV. No big surprise. It was a good elementary school with some of the best teachers we had for our kids, but rural and moderately funded. They did the basics right, imo. But no advanced stuff like that really. They started a gifted program when my daughter entered 3rd grade but then we moved to Utah.

I think there’s a strong argument to be made that it’s no longer his court. It now belongs to Alito and whatever the most extremists from the Federalist Society want. SCOTUS is literally just throwing stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks.

Gun regulation? Nah states can’t be trusted to do that. Federal government!

Abortion! Ew. Gross. Let the states handle that cuz we know that red states will outlaw it.

EPA regulation? We really don’t like that, so it’s gone!

It’ll be funny to see how they rule on this upcoming case:
Especially since Ginni was involved in attempting to overturn the last presidential election.

Proponents of the theory argue that that clause gives state legislatures power to regulate federal elections uninhibited by state courts or state constitutions. If a majority of the Supreme Court agrees, that would hamstring state courts, removing judicial oversight of state elections.

"Taken to its extreme, the independent state legislature doctrine could be an earthquake in American election law and fundamentally alter the balance of power within states and provide a pathway to subvert election results," says professor Richard Hasen, an expert on election law from the University of California, Irvine.
Like I said, it’ll be funny to see how they justify ruling in favor of state legislatures here. It’ll mean that whichever party controls the legislature can determine election results.

To see how reactionary they’ve become, just watch how they’ll rule on contraception and gay marriage (they'll be a state rights) but interracial marriage will probably be protected federally cuz Clarence and Ginni say so.

Yes, it’s going to be a huge decision.
And pretty predictable I think on how they’re going to decide it. The majority will go along with whatever helps Republicans stay in power. The question will be whether it’s decided 6-3 or if Roberts will join the liberals to make it 5-4.

And pretty predictable I think on how they’re going to decide it. The majority will go along with whatever helps Republicans stay in power. The question will be whether it’s decided 6-3 or if Roberts will join the liberals to make it 5-4.
Yes, I think so. I do believe they will favor the independent state legislature theory. We’re heading down such a dark road, looking ahead. Hard not to see tumult and conflict on an epic scale. Just don’t know the form it will take.

Anyone else find this disturbing? He’s a justice of the US Supreme Court and he’s traveling to Rome to crack jokes? And we wonder why the Supreme Court is seen as illegitimate? This is completely unbecoming of a justice.

View: https://twitter.com/mjs_dc/status/1552743092150800384?s=21&t=r4pffC_OzZEaVFzvnkOlIw

Alito is the perfect embodiment of today’s Repubs, unlimited power, zero accountability, and despite getting everything he wants, still pissed off

But why? I really don't get this one at all. What is the religious reasoning for a contraception ban anyway? And why ban it for everyone, why not let your religious leader ban it for your religion? Man this over-reach of power in the name of false Christianity is ridiculous in the extreme. Really they are grasping at the straws of what they think their voting block wants them to do. Do a lot of people dislike contraception for some reason? Great, then let's ban it! Get me them votes!!

But why? I really don't get this one at all. What is the religious reasoning for a contraception ban anyway?
The pro-life movement has always been led by Catholics, and Catholics have always been opposed to any form of birth control. If you really want to get into the "why", I can.

The pro-life movement has always been led by Catholics, and Catholics have always been opposed to any form of birth control. If you really want to get into the "why", I can.
No the Catholic angle I get. But a lot of this right now is being powered by evangelicals. Just weird to me how staunch they are adhering to the Catholic rules and how hard they are pushing it. It is definitely a sign of them banding together to maintain their power structure.

New special for JF members only - I'll do underground vasectomies starting at $100 cash. I'll just need some steak knives, a bag of ice from Walmart and some duct tape (or JB Weld as part of my platinum package).

My practice has been cleared by the fine folks at Youtube DIY videos.

No the Catholic angle I get. But a lot of this right now is being powered by evangelicals. Just weird to me how staunch they are adhering to the Catholic rules and how hard they are pushing it. It is definitely a sign of them banding together to maintain their power structure.
You ask some really good questions and I hope it’s studied in greater depth. My quick uneducated take is extremism is the only way for one to stand out in the GOP these days. So Republicans trying to stand out in the party/fundraise are taking extremist positions and many (not all as Kansas showed last night) GOP voters just go along with it cuz tribalism.

In the end, will it matter? True, Kansas voters defeated the measure last night to strip away these rights. But if voters still mostly vote R in their states then what’s stopping state legislatures from continuing to ban abortion, contraception, etc? If elected Repubs don’t pay a price, then why would they change to achieve a more moderate and population position on these issues? Especially since the downside to NOT taking extremist positions will mean that they’ll struggle to fundraise or be primaried by a more extremist candidate?