What's new

Rubio..

I've been telling myself the last few games that I would rather have Neto playing than Rubio. Neto looks so much better right now. Rubio does not fit on this team and the Jazz need to get rid of him.

I've been telling myself the last few games that I would rather have Neto playing than Rubio. Neto looks so much better right now. Rubio does not fit on this team and the Jazz need to get rid of him.

Neto hurts on on defense because guys just shoot over him, but...

Dude has gotten better... he has been driving and finishing and getting real separation. He looks so much faster this year. If playing time was based on performance he'd be in there over Rubio.

Neto hurts on on defense because guys just shoot over him, but...

Dude has gotten better... he has been driving and finishing and getting real separation. He looks so much faster this year. If playing time was based on performance he'd be in there over Rubio.
I don't think he's a bad defender. He has active hands and lateral quickness which translates to him being able to keep in front of the ball handler most of the time. I'd honestly rather have Neto than Rubio.

The Jazz need to take Rubio out of the starting lineup when Hood comes back and move Mitchell over to point and/or Ingles at point forward.

Rubio looks really bad. In today's NBA, Rubio's struggling mid-range shooting is essentially a turnover in my book. Against the Rockets, I remember seeing a play last when the Jazz had a 3 on 1 fast break, and Rubio pulled up for a mid range J from the left elbow... It was the most bizarre fast break shot selection I've seen in quite some time. And since he's not consistent, he's more or less a Lonzo Ball at this point. I'd rather see Neto get the burn.

I've never seen Rubio play this poorly. He's always struggled with his shot, but right now he's basically ashamed of himself while shooting. His passing has always been elite, but since he's turned the ball over so many times and he's struggled so much to get the ball to Gobert (and Rudy is to blame for that too), it's like he's in ultra-safe-mode so his passing is mediocre too. He played the best basketball of his career when:

1 He was a rookie and was playing 1000 mph.
2 Last season when it was clear he was going to be traded and played nonchalantly.

I see why people want him gone. Patience is required and FAs often don't get much of that. A month ago he was considered a bargain. That shows how quickly things can change.

Rubio looks really bad. In today's NBA, Rubio's struggling mid-range shooting is essentially a turnover in my book. Against the Rockets, I remember seeing a play last when the Jazz had a 3 on 1 fast break, and Rubio pulled up for a mid range J from the left elbow... It was the most bizarre fast break shot selection I've seen in quite some time. And since he's not consistent, he's more or less a Lonzo Ball at this point. I'd rather see Neto get the burn.
I remember that play you speak. Insane. 3 on 1 fast break and we get the worst possible shot imaginable. rudy ended up tipping the missed shot out to a jazz player and i think we still scored but my god, talk about horrible shot selection.

I remember that play you speak. Insane. 3 on 1 fast break and we get the worst possible shot imaginable. rudy ended up tipping the missed shot out to a jazz player and i think we still scored but my god, talk about horrible shot selection.

It was pretty bad, but seeing how Chris Paul was on Gobert, Gobert tipped Rubio's brick to Thabo, who then drained a 3. I've seen worst fast breaks, just not many.

I don't think he's a bad defender. He has active hands and lateral quickness which translates to him being able to keep in front of the ball handler most of the time. I'd honestly rather have Neto than Rubio.

The Jazz need to take Rubio out of the starting lineup when Hood comes back and move Mitchell over to point and/or Ingles at point forward.

He's not a big liability, but guys routinely just shoot over him like he isn't there. He is sound fundamentally, but I'd classify him as average to below average. I think Rubio has been good this year on that end, but has lacked discipline at times. Neto isn't as disruptive.

I just think the offense will be better with Neto.

Daryl Morey was probably on the ground laughing.

As that developed I just kind of shook my head and said really?

my friend is a minnie fan and he couldn't believe we took rubio.

rubio is NOT elite at defense. He's good at team defense but individually he is not good.

I've never seen Rubio play this poorly. He's always struggled with his shot, but right now he's basically ashamed of himself while shooting. His passing has always been elite, but since he's turned the ball over so many times and he's struggled so much to get the ball to Gobert (and Rudy is to blame for that too), it's like he's in ultra-safe-mode so his passing is mediocre too. He played the best basketball of his career when:

1 He was a rookie and was playing 1000 mph.
2 Last season when it was clear he was going to be traded and played nonchalantly.

I see why people want him gone. Patience is required and FAs often don't get much of that. A month ago he was considered a bargain. That shows how quickly things can change.

I understand being patient, but my issue is we are saying if Ricky can just improve a few things he can be really good for us, but the things we need him to be good at are his weaknesses.

He can't shoot off the PnR or threaten the rim, which neuters the Rudy/Ricky PnR. He can't create his own offense, so putting him out there with Ingles, Rudy, and Favs who also struggle to create puts him in a bad spot. Then if you take him off ball and put him in the corner he's a bad three point shooter... so maybe instead of trying to turn a cat into a dog... go get a dog and make him good.

I know patience can be rewarded, but there is also the school of thought that says go out and fail fast... if it isn't working make changes. I think both have merit and between my initial reservations on Ricky and the sample we have I think we can safely move on to a different experiment.

With how well he shoots FTs, you would think he would be a bit better with wide open mid range jumpers after this much experience playing ball.

Edit: He has ok form, just shoots way to flat on his jumpers, so unless it is perfect it misses. Surprised he hasn't changed this.

my friend is a minnie fan and he couldn't believe we took rubio.

rubio is NOT elite at defense. He's good at team defense but individually he is not good.

That video made me sad, but thank you anyway.

Man I think we need to trade him... If Phoenix does not want anything to do with him we may be stuck though. I could see NY wanting him but there is not a good collection of contracts to work with.

Here is what I'm thinking:

Utah out Favs, Ricky, Joe Jesus
Utah In Monroe, George Hill

Phoenix In Ricky/Favs
Phoenix Out Dudley/Monroe (maybe a second rd pick they have a ton)

Sacramento out Hill
Sacramento In Joe Jesus, Jared Dudley

Sacramento buys out Joe Jesus. Dudley has bought into his role as sometime used vet which may be an issue with Hill and Sac right now. They also free up Fox to just play point and give more time to their platoon of shooting guards.

Phoenix was rumored to like Favs last year and aren't taking on a lot of extra money to get Ricky instead of Dudley

We get a redo on FA and get a guy who fits and a guy who will come off the bench in Monroe. Costs us a little more next year, but not much ($4M).

Not sure how much Hill's feelings were hurt and I've heard people indicate he wasn't the vet leader we may have thought he was. He may be humbled now and welcome a release from basketball purgatory.

IN THE MEANTIME:

He comes off the bench. Start Thabo, have Mitchell running the point (where I think he has the most distinct physical advantage, he's also already whipping accurate, one-handed cross-court passes, making the plays in the PnR including passing to shooters out of it).

Rubio's best when he's winging it and is also particularly vulnerable to being scouted out of a game. The bench will be good for him and the Jazz. And if he works there or turns it around, he's got nice placeholder salary for 2019 and would be a potentially neat change-of-pace guy.

Not sure how much Hill's feelings were hurt and I've heard people indicate he wasn't the vet leader we may have thought he was. He may be humbled now and welcome a release from basketball purgatory.

Locke made a comment in this regard on his podcast the other day which by process of elimination immediately made me think it was Hill he was talking about.

IN THE MEANTIME:

He comes off the bench. Start Thabo, have Mitchell running the point (where I think he has the most distinct physical advantage, he's also already whipping accurate, one-handed cross-court passes, making the plays in the PnR including passing to shooters out of it).

Rubio's best when he's winging it and is also particularly vulnerable to being scouted out of a game. The bench will be good for him and the Jazz. And if he works there or turns it around, he's got nice placeholder salary for 2019 and would be a potentially neat change-of-pace guy.

Locke mentioned this idea and said if you are moving that direction you may as well consider yourself done with Rubio... if it is an all or nothing thing I will take nothing.

I'd run the same way for a week until the trade market opens up and if there is nothing out there I reconfigure the lineup.

I think maybe Rubio is just too flawed to really even be effective and I think he'd check out on us if we moved him to the bench.

Man I think we need to trade him... If Phoenix does not want anything to do with him we may be stuck though. I could see NY wanting him but there is not a good collection of contracts to work with.

Here is what I'm thinking:

Utah out Favs, Ricky, Joe Jesus
Utah In Monroe, George Hill

Phoenix In Ricky/Favs
Phoenix Out Dudley/Monroe (maybe a second rd pick they have a ton)

Sacramento out Hill
Sacramento In Joe Jesus, Jared Dudley

Sacramento buys out Joe Jesus. Dudley has bought into his role as sometime used vet which may be an issue with Hill and Sac right now. They also free up Fox to just play point and give more time to their platoon of shooting guards.

Phoenix was rumored to like Favs last year and aren't taking on a lot of extra money to get Ricky instead of Dudley

We get a redo on FA and get a guy who fits and a guy who will come off the bench in Monroe. Costs us a little more next year, but not much ($4M).

Ehh. Really, really don't like the fit of Monroe here considering the significant logjam we have inside. Jazz sacrifice any chance of rehabilitating the Favors situation which I still think COULD turn out well (and would net the Jazz a significant piece or asset on the market in the future). I was pretty down on Hill's contract status in this situation too, however, his last year has apparently only $1 million guaranteed. I've got a ****ing bullseye painted on Porzingis, and that would give the Jazz flexibility to either cut Hill in 2019 (RFA) or use Hill as placeholder salary in case Porzingis takes the QO in 2020. Hill's fit as a basketball player would be really nice to have as well. I'm not confident he actually just became kind of a **** player one day and he already has a (seemingly pretty good) working relationship with the Jazz.

Ultimately, though... ehh.

Locke made a comment in this regard on his podcast the other day which by process of elimination immediately made me think it was Hill he was talking about.
Yup that is what I was thinking of, but I think he may have been thinking Hayward too. This and the Gobert comment last year.

I don't think there is anything that could not be salvaged though. I think Hill probably sat when he could have played, but he had a lot of money riding on his toe.

I mean Ricky and Rudy had a Twitter fight before Rubio came in.

At the time people were raving about Hill and maybe Locke's comments were "hey these guys weren't perfect" not that they were cancers.

Honestly at this point I'd go Rubio for Dudley straight up. I think we need him out of the way.

Ehh. Really, really don't like the fit of Monroe here considering the significant logjam we have inside. Jazz sacrifice any chance of rehabilitating the Favors situation which I still think COULD turn out well (and would net the Jazz a significant piece or asset on the market in the future). I was pretty down on Hill's contract status in this situation too, however, his last year has apparently only $1 million guaranteed. I've got a ****ing bullseye painted on Porzingis, and that would give the Jazz flexibility to either cut Hill in 2019 (RFA) or use Hill as placeholder salary in case Porzingis takes the QO in 2020. Hill's fit as a basketball player would be really nice to have as well. I'm not confident he actually just became kind of a **** player one day and he already has a (seemingly pretty good) working relationship with the Jazz.

Ultimately, though... ehh.

this doesn't endanger any Zinger pursuit at all. I don't think there is really any chance we'd get him.

Monroe would be the backup 5 and he's just as good on offense as Favs... prolly a little better. Just accepting the role would help us. We could just cut him and play Udoh if we didn't want him.

Favs is gone.