What's new

Rubio..

I thought I heard that the front office got Rubio because Hayward said he wanted him, so they did it to please him. If that's true, he was really being a jerk (or something stronger), if he knew he was going and pushed the f.o. into a move just to stick it to them. I guess nobody knew Rubio would be this bad for us though.

Honestly though, looking back I didn't see much that we had a shot at that was better. I was just happy to get a replacement for Hill that decided he wasn't coming back.

There were lots of options if we could have just been patient. I think even if we had Hayward Rubio would be a tough fit. Feel like DL should have told Hayward we'd figure it out in FA and that there are plenty of vets out there. When the trade was going down Rubio was the only real option.

I guess the lesson is you can't let players GM... especially if they are on their way out.

I couldn't have been more wrong about Rubio. Sadly. I thought he would be fantastic. I thought we could mask his shortcomings and really utilize his court vision and defense.

Instead, he's just a liability out there.

I may have had too much faith in the coaching staff.

Rubio has been a disappointment, but I’d rather see the Jazz move him to the bench and roll with Gobert, Favors, Jingles, Hood and Mitchell before any major decisions are made. Bring Rubio off the bench, and have him play most of his minutes when Favors is in at the 5 and the Jazz have a stretch(y) 4 in the game with them. See if a different role can help him like it has Donovan and Hood (before his ankle problem.) Tweak the lineups and minutes distribution first, and then figure out who to move if that still doesn’t help.

Also, another 2019 expiring.
Jazz have $20+ million in “expendable” expiring contracts at this year’s deadline ($30+ million if you count non-guaranteed contracts for new free agents) and $34+ million in expiring contracts next year. They definitely have some options if creative opportunities come available.

Ricky Rubio is jealous of Lonzo Ball's a) shot b) father c) Balls d) all of the above. Well, which one is it?

I'm a huge Rubio fan, I have been since he was 14, and not following from afar, but watching him closely every step of the way (and when it comes to his NBA career, I haven't missed more than a handful of his games). And this is, without a doubt, the worst I've ever seen him along with a really rough stretch during his FC Barcelona days. He simply doesn't look like himself. He's always been a master of the entry pass and we're seeing none of it (last night's pass to Favors was the perfect example), he's not running the team efficiently, he's not picking the right plays time after time like he's always done and he's rarely created something out of nothing since the season started. I also don't like it one bit when he scores a couple of buckets and he suddenly gets overexcited and more prone to TOs or taking bad shots. That's just not him. He's still excellent on D on what's the most difficult position to defend in the NBA nowadays, and he'll bring the energy every night, but right now I'm not seeing anything that even resembles the Ricky Rubio I've been a fan of for 12+ years now.

IMO there's not just one factor going on that's affecting him, but rather a combination of circumstances. Being in a new team after all these years is one of them, and so is playing on a system where there's not really one guy directing and generating for others, but rather plenty of handoffs and movement around the perimeter with the ball usually going through many people's hands (even if they're not always creating anything per se). But it's also on him to be able to make the most out of his touches, to get in synch with his teammates, to find those passing lanes that nobody thought were there, and to play within himself and not commit silly TOs (fortunately he's already cutting on those, so I'm hopeful the rest of his game can follow).

I have never had a problem with Rubio being a poor scorer. He's always been a net positive with his defence and his craft running an offense, and he's always been exciting as hell to watch with his intensity and his incredible ability to find guys anywhere on the court. But that's not the Rubio we're seeing so far, and right now I don't think all that focus on scoring has been as good for him as everyone would've liked. I think it's gotten to his head and changed the way he plays, and now it's time for him to go back to the basics, be his old self again and forget about everything else for now. That's the best way to help himself and the Jazz for however long he's in Utah.

His defence is elite.
I think this is highly questionable...There have been so many times when he ends up behind the defender after getting beaten. This includes when he is beaten individually and also on pick and rolls..

Even worse in those pick and roll situations, our big ends up having to try to cover both opponents because Rubio ends up in no mans land..(and doesn't even try to get in the passing lane or block out the big)

Does anyone else notice that when Rubio is wide open for a shot, he is super hesitant to take it..but then randomly decides to throw it up when there is someone close enough to block him ?

I couldn't have been more wrong about Rubio. Sadly. I thought he would be fantastic. I thought we could mask his shortcomings and really utilize his court vision and defense.

Instead, he's just a liability out there.

I may have had too much faith in the coaching staff.

Rubio seems best in a traditional system as we know it. 4 and 5 out are simplistic, pre-our traditional systems and that's what QS wants to run. Rubio isn't much good in those systems.

btw that mitchell "hell no" is fake.

How's it fake? I'm looking at it right now lol.

OkSyDkW.png

Burks or Thabo in the starting lineup?
Burks in that situation. Really, Hood and Burks are interchangeable to me. The bottom line is Rubio needs to play with spacers/scorers to be able to do **** at this point and the 2nd unit is pretty barren if Burks is starting right now.