What's new

Rubio..

^^ There is nothing to unlock. He wasn't this bad in Minnesota. That's all.

Thanks... appreciate the perspective. he seems like a good dude. I was hopeful, but I'm out.

It's pretty clear Rubio is not performing well right now. Other than shooting, I don't think it's a skill issue, or much of an athleticism issue. I think it has to do with chemistry with the team while on the floor. It's still early, but creeping towards a failure. It's been 26 games, chemistry should be pretty solid by now.

For me it might be too soon to start calling "trade", but it's creeping up on me. Not every good situation gels as fast as others.

I'm not saying DM takes the PG spot, but no matter what goes on with Rubio, DM better be on the floor with the starters. Right now the team seems to play better with Rubio out, so I totally get what many of you are saying. Why wait when it looks this bad. The odds of it getting dramatically better with him are slim.

^^ There is nothing to unlock. He wasn't this bad in Minnesota. That's all.

Thanks... appreciate the perspective. he seems like a good dude. I was hopeful, but I'm out.
It's pretty clear Rubio is not performing well right now. Other than shooting, I don't think it's a skill issue, or much of an athleticism issue. I think it has to do with chemistry with the team while on the floor. It's still early, but creeping towards a failure. It's been 26 games, chemistry should be pretty solid by now.

For me it might be too soon to start calling "trade", but it's creeping up on me. Not every good situation gels as fast as others.

I'm not saying DM takes the PG spot, but no matter what goes on with Rubio, DM better be on the floor with the starters. Right now the team seems to play better with Rubio out, so I totally get what many of you are saying. Why wait when it looks this bad. The odds of it getting dramatically better with him are slim.

Pretty much... I just think last year when Hill came it we could all immediately see the fit was good. This year Rubio's numbers were good to start but it just still seemed really touch and go.

Pretty much... I just think last year when Hill came it we could all immediately see the fit was good. This year Rubio's numbers were good to start but it just still seemed really touch and go.

I agree, and won't/can't argue the point. I'm generally more patient than most, but I think there is a slim possibility that Rubio can still gell with these guys. I honestly don't know how much good it will do unless he learns to make shots because his poor shooting allows defenses to sag off or go under screens to cut off passing lanes, which are the more efficient options with poor shooting guards.

I've liked Burks even when he was falling down all the time. Now I really like the new Burks of late. I wouldn't trade that.

Agree even if he runs hot and cold... the hot is good enough and the cold is no longer catastrophic. Just stay healthy and we good there.

I agree, and won't/can't argue the point. I'm generally more patient than most, but I think there is a slim possibility that Rubio can still gell with these guys. I honestly don't know how much good it will do unless he learns to make shots because his poor shooting allows defenses to sag off or go under screens to cut off passing lanes, which are the more efficient options with poor shooting guards.

I think his shooting is just never going to be good enough and the evidence is there to support it. I hope Rubio was Hayward's idea... cuz otherwise I am not sure what we were thinking.

I actually created a thread in October after the Portland game about this and I got lots of dislikes and some negs because of it. In that game, DM pretty much took over in the 4th and won that game for us after Quin benched Rubio. His play has even started to make me doubt Rudy, but I think Rubio is only one reason why Rudy hasn't played well -- his injury and maybe a little overconfidence have also played a part.
I'm starting to think that Rubio and Gobert should never ever be on the floor together. Neither spaces the floor an inch and with both on the floor our offense becomes stagnant and slow. I've said that the Rubio, Gobert and Favors trio should not be, but I'm more convinced now that Favors has little to do with those issues and that these 2 guys together are 99% of the problem with that trio. Favors spaces the floor more than both of them combined.

Last edited:
I remember last summer when people were talking about what point guards the jazz could/should try to get and rubio was discussed that the majority of posters didn't want him (myself included) mainly cause he couldn't shoot. A few posters thought he would be a great pickup but most didn't want him.

Then after we traded for him and highlight videos started being posted and his 2nd half stats from last season started getting hyped up and his teams offensive stats with him on court vs off court started being talked about many posters convinced themselves that rubio would be good with the jazz. (I still didn't believe in rubio at this point)

Then in the pre-season and the first few regular season games he looked good (really just was making shots at an unsustainable level) and I bought in and became a believer.
****ing fools gold. Im done with rubio.
I think I talked myself into wanting Rubio to be the answer. I didn't want him and am now grumbling every time I see him in the game. They need to do something with him. Bench, release or trade I don't care, I'm just done seeing him play for the Jazz and especially when Gobert is also in the game.

I think his shooting is just never going to be good enough and the evidence is there to support it. I hope Rubio was Hayward's idea... cuz otherwise I am not sure what we were thinking.

I thought I heard that the front office got Rubio because Hayward said he wanted him, so they did it to please him. If that's true, he was really being a jerk (or something stronger), if he knew he was going and pushed the f.o. into a move just to stick it to them. I guess nobody knew Rubio would be this bad for us though.

Honestly though, looking back I didn't see much that we had a shot at that was better. I was just happy to get a replacement for Hill that decided he wasn't coming back.

Sadly, I have come to the conclusion that acquiring Rubio was a mistake, and we are better off with him off the floor, particularly when combined with Favors and/or Gobert. He needs to start coming off the bench and only playing when he's surrounded by floor spacers. His poor shooting, again particularly when combined with non-floor spacing of Favors/Gobert, is killing us.

Also, on a related issue, either Favors or Gobert needs to go. They don't work together. In the interim, Favors probably needs to start coming off the bench, as the two of them simply cannot spend more than a few minutes per game on the floor together. Whatever Quinn does is likely to ruffle some feathers, but I still believe playoffs are possible if we can right this ship, and I have no interest in tanking.
Almost the only time they play together this season is with Rubio.

someone needs to start another Proffesional Basketball league without a 3-point line. A place where all the Al Jeffersons, Michael Kidd-Gilchrests, and Ricky Rubios of the World can play.

I thought I heard that the front office got Rubio because Hayward said he wanted him, so they did it to please him. If that's true, he was really being a jerk (or something stronger), if he knew he was going and pushed the f.o. into a move just to stick it to them. I guess nobody knew Rubio would be this bad for us though.

Honestly though, looking back I didn't see much that we had a shot at that was better. I was just happy to get a replacement for Hill that decided he wasn't coming back.
I doubt it. If anything, I’d bet he knew he and the other GH were peacing out and figured having them land Rubio 1) helps maintain the belief that he was truly conflicted about leaving and 2) gives us some kind of consolation prize.

But still a dick move, like his Thank You Utah letter.

It will at least ease the pain if the Thunder miss the playoffs (the pick the Jazz traded was originally lottery protected by the Thunder, meaning the Wolves won't get the pick if the Thunder fail to make the playoffs)

If we end the season without trading Favors, Burks or Rubio, I will be severely disappointed in DL.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Alec Burks has some trade value in a Terrence Ross sort of way.

It may be possible for the Jazz to trade Favors and their pick for the right to swap with another team's first-round pick. Problem is, the teams that want Favors will be the playoff teams that missed out on DeAndre Jordan, and they'll likely end up with a better overall record than the Jazz. The Jazz could trade Favors + Burks + 2nd pick for a mid-late first round pick maybe, then possibly package that pick with their own to move up a few spots.

I think the Jazz will give the Ricky Rubio experiment another month or two before drawing any definitive conclusions.