What's new

Snyder to step down - Woj

Locke's show today points towards Ryan Smith and new ownership playing a big factor in Quin stepping down. That wasn't explicitly stated, but Locke talked about how much control Quin had over things: like the weight room/locker room/chefs/basically everything in the training facility and how it worked operated. Quin was super detail oriented and liked things done his way. The way Locke said was like "a bunch of new internal layers" which to me says ownership/Ainge.

Also Locke didn't drop any hints about Rudy being gone. If anything it sounded like he might be staying (but he really didn't give anything either way from my listen)

This is the Snyder I loved

CgupXD.gif

Seems like he decided he wanted to be the players' friend more than their coach.
I missed this Quin Snyder in the last couple of years. He stopped holding players accountable and/or they just stopped listening. I don't know what happened, but there was a distinct difference.

I missed this Quin Snyder in the last couple of years. He stopped holding players accountable and/or they just stopped listening. I don't know what happened, but there was a distinct difference.
Or ownership gasses up a certain player and let's him know the Jazz are ready to do anything to appease him, so it makes listening to anyone pointless.

Other than not being able to run a system with 5 shooters, defend a system with 5 shooters or develop young players, nothing falls at Quin's feet....

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
What the **** are you talking about? His system with starting 5 of Mike Conley(worst Mike Conley has ever been in the league) - Donovan Mitchell - Royce O'Neale - Bojan - Rudy was top offense in the league two years in a row. This team has no business being this good offensively. He's developed plenty of young and old players. His failures IMO were on the defensive end and in failing to instill defensive accountability from his perimeter players.

I don't believe one word of it.
Why wouldn't you believe a word of it? This is coming straight from Mitchell and/or his agent. Who do you think has any incentive to put a a QUOTE like this? This is Mitchell making a power play and trying to 1. Impact the hiring of the new coach and 2. In case his preferred candidate is not chosen, he's setting up a scenario for requesting a trade.

What the **** are you talking about? His system with starting 5 of Mike Conley(worst Mike Conley has ever been in the league) - Donovan Mitchell - Royce O'Neale - Bojan - Rudy was top offense in the league two years in a row. This team has no business being this good offensively. He's developed plenty of young and old players. His failures IMO were on the defensive end and in failing to instill defensive accountability from his perimeter players.
I was mainly being a pain in the *** with my statement. But.... my point is about the playoffs. Almost all of my points are about the playoffs. Quin has been a major disappointment come playoff time. Blown leads. Blown series. Zero flexibility.

I think he has done an admirable job the last few years making us relevant, but his postseason lack of adjustments limited our potential.

I agree. I really liked Quin. I thought he was doing a great job building up the players he was given until the expectations skyrocketed and games of high importance hit him straight in the mouth and his two best players decided it's better to settle scores off the floor than to work together for the common goal. Now part of his job is to deal with that and still steer the ship in the right direction so he must bear some of the responsibility too.

With that said, I think a lot of people are massively underestimating Quin's offensive coaching. Donovan Mitchell - fallen off Mike Conley - Royce O'Neale - Bojan - Rudy is not the starting lineup of a team you would suspect is the best offense in the league two years in a row. But his(and the FO's) overreliance on Rudy as a defensive anchor ultimately doomed this team as a serious playoff contender. They just refused even to attempt diversifying our defensive schemes even after the current one was unequivocally destroyed in the playoffs, only for us to see it again this year... the exact same thing.

Overall I'm not as negative on Snyder and not as cheerful about his departure as many here, but I absolutely understand why both the Jazz and Snyder might want to try something different.
The jazz entire system on both ends of the court was always more of a gimmick built for the regular season. Opponents didn't really put any importance on game planning to take things away from the jazz during the regular season because it wasn't worth the effort. Once the playoffs came around though it usually only took a game or 2 to implement the needed adjustments and Quin never had any type of counter to those adjustments. That is a massive indictment on his coaching ability. Good coaches are able to make adjustments and Quin never showed that ability. He was locked into certain rotations with almost no flexibility. Nothing was worse than the Favors, Gobert, Rubio trio. That trio should have never seen the floor together at any point of time let alone starting together even if it was only for a few minutes. It never should have happened.

The jazz entire system on both ends of the court was always more of a gimmick built for the regular season. Opponents didn't really put any importance on game planning to take things away from the jazz during the regular season because it wasn't worth the effort. Once the playoffs came around though it usually only took a game or 2 to implement the needed adjustments and Quin never had any type of counter to those adjustments. That is a massive indictment on his coaching ability. Good coaches are able to make adjustments and Quin never showed that ability. He was locked into certain rotations with almost no flexibility. Nothing was worse than the Favors, Gobert, Rubio trio. That trio should have never seen the floor together at any point of time let alone starting together even if it was only for a few minutes. It never should have happened.
Damn good post

A good offense works even when a team knows it is coming. It is what I loved about UCLA. So many options resulting in efficient basketball. And as I've said before, Quin's offense largely let the opponents stand around essentially getting rest. I want to see something with more off ball cuts and ball movement. I'm fine with a lot of 3s, but need much more than that to compete in the playoffs.

THe offense wasn't the problem of this team, not in the regular season and not in the playoffs. We were creating good offense almost always.... much better offense than our talent would suggest actually. We had 1 player who could consistently create any offense for himself and the team. Everything else was system-based. This team's failures were lack of defensive accountability and versatility. Quin does have some blame for this. But so do the front office for giving him rosters with zero players that could stick with their own shadow.

Quin quit, not fired
Well...Do I think Quin would still be the coach if he wanted to be, yes he was under contract for another year and had the offseason to recover from hip surgery. He loves his players too much to willfully just walk from that. They must have really grilled him on the team collapsing and not improving.
office-space-paul-lee-wilson.gif

THe offense wasn't the problem of this team, not in the regular season and not in the playoffs. We were creating good offense almost always.... much better offense than our talent would suggest actually. We had 1 player who could consistently create any offense for himself and the team. Everything else was system-based. This team's failures were lack of defensive accountability and versatility. Quin does have some blame for this. But so do the front office for giving him rosters with zero players that could stick with their own shadow.

I mean how can you really say that? We went from
top-5 to bottom-5 in offensive rating in the playoffs.