What's new

The lunatics have taken over

Appropriation can be pretty offensive at times-- the worst examples I can think of are ones pertaining to indigenous art, textiles, fashion, and just garments in general.

That is OFFENSIVE! My ancestors didn't slave day and night to come with a numbering system just so that you colonialist Westerners can STEAL it! Stick to your XMVIIwhatever numbering system please.

Arraybean numborz.

Thanks to the Arabs though we don't feel like committing suicide whenever we use arithmetic and don't have to use Roman numbers.

1canadaleadingtheworld-1.jpg

That's not true, guy!

Appropriation can be pretty offensive at times-- the worst examples I can think of are ones pertaining to indigenous art, textiles, fashion, and just garments in general.
You're serious? Let's see one of these examples. Whatever they are, I have a feeling that they're nothing like participating in a free morning yoga class. Getting offended by that seems obscenely stupid to me.

If the best ('worst') example you can think of is a white dude in moccasins, you've done a good job convincing me that cultural appropriation isn't the least bit harmful, and could only be offensive to the thinnest-skinned people alive.

If the best ('worst') example you can think of is a white dude in moccasins, you've done a good job convincing me that cultural appropriation isn't the least bit harmful, and could only be offensive to the thinnest-skinned people alive.
This. Why are bleeding heart pansies so desperate to find something to be offended about? There is no such thing as cultural purity in the modern world. People ought to be complimented that others think something from their culture is worth imitating but instead they want to get their feelings hurt. It's ridiculous.

This. Why are bleeding heart pansies so desperate to find something to be offended about? There is no such thing as cultural purity in the modern world. People ought to be complimented that others think something from their culture is worth imitating but instead they want to get their feelings hurt. It's ridiculous.

Cultural diffusion is a force of history. It's been a fact of human existence for long ages. One might as well legislate to have the sun rise in the west as to somehow regulate cultural diffusion. On top of which, the practice under scrutiny, yoga, was introduced to the west generations ago. It isn't something new under the sun. But the bottom line is diffusion is a force of history, and the notion that it can be controlled and directed as one sees fit is pretty silly, to say the very least. Might as well attempt to control the tidal cycles as control how cultures impact each other though time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-cultural_diffusion

"In cultural anthropology and cultural geography, cultural diffusion, as first conceptualized by Leo Frobenius in his 1897/98 publication Der westafrikanische Kulturkreis, is the spread of cultural items—such as ideas, styles, religions, technologies, languages etc.—between individuals, whether within a single culture or from one culture to another. It is distinct from the diffusion of innovations within a specific culture.

Diffusion across cultures is a well-attested and also uncontroversial phenomenon. Cultural diffusion was an important role for different Native American tribes. For example, the practice of agriculture is widely believed to have diffused from somewhere in the Middle East to all of Eurasia, less than 10,000 years ago, having been adopted by many pre-existing cultures. Other established examples of diffusion include the spread of the war chariot and iron smelting in ancient times, and the use of cars and Western business suits in the 20th century."
-----------------------------------

And another example is the spread of yoga practice to Western cultures. There is no "cultural diffusion committee" that oversees such things. These are historical forces. The cultural diffusion committee in this instance needs to bone up on History, and then disband themselves. They are making fools of themselves if they think they can better direct cultural diffusion to an end more satisfying to them. Go tell the sun to rise in the west while you're at it.......

All those countries and cultures that enjoy the music genre known as Jazz need to cease and desist. Jazz is a uniquely American music. Yes, the roots are elsewhere, but that's up to the cultural diffusion committee to sort out. The bottom line is Jazz is American as it was originally developed. Whatever equivalent cultural diffusion committee exists in the nation of India needs to address this very serious issue. Indian nationals are known to enjoy jazz music. Their cultural diffusion committee needs to decide if they owe us anything for appropriating our music. They need to decide if it's unethical to take our music just like that, without first consulting us.

I remember Louie Armstrong was being interviewed once and observed "somebody needs to do something about other cultures playing my music. Are we just going to let jazz spread unchecked??"

Cultural diffusion is a force of history. It's been a fact of human existence for long ages. One might as well legislate to have the sun rise in the west as to somehow regulate cultural diffusion. On top of which, the practice under scrutiny, yoga, was introduced to the west generations ago. It isn't something new under the sun. But the bottom line is diffusion is a force of history, and the notion that it can be controlled and directed as one sees fit is pretty silly, to say the very least. Might as well attempt to control the tidal cycles as control how cultures impact each other though time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-cultural_diffusion
A new force in history has arisen. I don't know whether to call it "Embarrassment of Success" or what, but I doubt there has ever been another society that is anywhere near as guilt ridden as portions of our culture have become. I've always been proud of being an American and grateful that I am a human. It's been such a surprise to me to learn that so many people that are part of those two groups now feel such overwhelming guilt. With regard to this current topic it is not offended Hindu people driving the discussion. It is white people who are concerned about the possibility of offending Hindu people. I've read several articles and it appears that they are having a difficult time finding people from the Hindu culture who are actually offended by this, but they are determined and I'm sure that eventually they will succeed at stirring up the angst they so desperately seek. Something very odd has happened over the last several decades.

A new force in history has arisen. I don't know whether to call it "Embarrassment of Success" or what, but I doubt there has ever been another society that is anywhere near as guilt ridden as portions of our culture have become. I've always been proud of being an American and grateful that I am a human. It's been such a surprise to me to learn that so many people that are part of those two groups now feel such overwhelming guilt. With regard to this current topic it is not offended Hindu people driving the discussion. It is white people who are concerned about the possibility of offending Hindu people. I've read several articles and it appears that they are having a difficult time finding people from the Hindu culture who are actually offended by this, but they are determined and I'm sure that eventually they will succeed at stirring up the angst they so desperately seek. Something very odd has happened over the last several decades.

Joe, for the heck of it, I googled "are Hindus offended by other cultures practicing yoga?" And until I did, I really had no idea how much your words ring true. I had no idea how widespread this "new force of history" actually was. If you look at the philosophical underpinnings of yoga, the science is completely different then our own. I don't think you have to "believe in" that science to obtain benefits from the practice of yoga, but the description of the universe and humans that emerges is certainly different then that of Western science and Western medicine. I've come across pages with that google search where Christian writers condemn yoga as incomparable with Christianity. Well then, pound salt and ignore it of you feel that way. Always the morality cops. I also found this article confirming your own observation:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...new-culture-cops-everything-is-appropriation/

What a shame! How incredibly misguided! These people are completely ignorant of history and how things spread. I had no idea this "movement" existed. Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!