What's new

The lunatics have taken over

Thought it was just an isolated thing. Boy, was I wrong....

https://blogs.new.spectator.co.uk/2...priation-is-leading-us-down-a-very-dark-path/

"The idea of ‘cultural appropriation’ sums up everything rotten in today’s intensifying politics of identity. It’s fuelled by the borderline racist idea that to mix cultures is bad. It isn’t only yoga that’s getting it in its supple neck from these new cultural purists: white rappers like Iggy Azalea are slammed for appropriating black culture; students have been banned from wearing sombreros lest Mexicans feel mocked; non-black celebs who try out the cornrow hairstyle can expect to be Twitch-hunted by mobs of these new cultural purists who think black people and white people should stick to their own cultural camps.

Time magazine recently published an article headlined: ‘Cornrows and Cultural Appropriation: The Truth About Racial Identity Theft.’ It mused on bovine whites’ ‘appropriation’, ‘assimilation’, ‘exploitation’, and ‘plundering’ of black culture. This is the world we live in, folks, where even Time can lose the plot over white folks plaiting their hair in a particular way.

The PC rage against cultural appropriation is ultimately a demand for cultural segregation, for black people, white people, Latinos, gay people, women and every other racial, gender or sexual group to stick with their own culture and people and not allow themselves to be diluted by outsiders."
-------------------
Bingo: "The irony being that it’s hard to think of anything more racist, or at least racially divisive, than the ideology of cultural appropriation: its obsession with cultural purity echoes some of the darkest political movements of the twentieth century."

And here I thought it was just a few nutjobs at Ottawa University who didn't understand what cultural diffusion was. More cultural historians and anthropologists should be speaking out strongly against this misguided politically correct nonsense.....

Last edited:
This. Why are bleeding heart pansies so desperate to find something to be offended about? There is no such thing as cultural purity in the modern world. People ought to be complimented that others think something from their culture is worth imitating but instead they want to get their feelings hurt. It's ridiculous.

Because you're white and you've never been on the receiving end of colonialism devestating your culture and heritage.

A new force in history has arisen. I don't know whether to call it "Embarrassment of Success" or what, but I doubt there has ever been another society that is anywhere near as guilt ridden as portions of our culture have become. I've always been proud of being an American and grateful that I am a human. It's been such a surprise to me to learn that so many people that are part of those two groups now feel such overwhelming guilt. With regard to this current topic it is not offended Hindu people driving the discussion. It is white people who are concerned about the possibility of offending Hindu people. I've read several articles and it appears that they are having a difficult time finding people from the Hindu culture who are actually offended by this, but they are determined and I'm sure that eventually they will succeed at stirring up the angst they so desperately seek. Something very odd has happened over the last several decades.

This is not a new thing. Not even close. The eye(s) of that storm have simply rolled into different geographical zones. A steady force ever since Christianity, Islam, and Buddhism institutionalized guilt. Before that, "guilt" was a word that was used more in the financial world.

Another thing that's not new: recency bias in casual histories.

A new force in history has arisen. I don't know whether to call it "Embarrassment of Success" or what, but I doubt there has ever been another society that is anywhere near as guilt ridden as portions of our culture have become. I've always been proud of being an American and grateful that I am a human. It's been such a surprise to me to learn that so many people that are part of those two groups now feel such overwhelming guilt. With regard to this current topic it is not offended Hindu people driving the discussion. It is white people who are concerned about the possibility of offending Hindu people. I've read several articles and it appears that they are having a difficult time finding people from the Hindu culture who are actually offended by this, but they are determined and I'm sure that eventually they will succeed at stirring up the angst they so desperately seek. Something very odd has happened over the last several decades.

You should read this:

https://www.davidbrin.com/dogmaofotherness.html

David Brin is one of my favorite sci-fi authors.

Compelling.
It's at least as compelling as your incessant appeals to authority -- which constitute ~90% of your arguments on JF -- and your implicit promotion of illiberal/authoritarian ideals and social/political order.

This is not a new thing. Not even close. The eye(s) of that storm have simply rolled into different geographical zones. A steady force ever since Christianity, Islam, and Buddhism institutionalized guilt. Before that, "guilt" was a word that was used more in the financial world.

So how does this observation come into play?

A Cambridge professor noted that the standards of Babylonians, Egyptians, and Greeks as well as of Australian Aborigines and Native Americans included “denunciations of oppression, murder, treachery and falsehood, the same injunctions of kindness to the aged, the young, and the weak.” And Dr.*Collins wrote: “The concept of right and wrong appears to be universal among all members of the human species.” Does that not remind you of Romans 2:14? " For when people of the nations, who do not have law, do by nature the things of the law, these people, although not having law, are a law to themselves. 15 They are the very ones who demonstrate the matter of the law to be written in their hearts, while their conscience is bearing witness with them, and by their own thoughts they are being accused or even excused."

Because you're white and you've never been on the receiving end of colonialism devestating your culture and heritage.
The color of my skin is not a crime. The idea that I ought to feel guilt ridden because there have been people with skin pigment similar to mine who have done bad things is just plain stupid. People of all races have done bad things, and people of all races have done good things. People of any given race are not better or worse because of the actions of their distant relatives (or their close relatives either). I have just as much right to be judged based on the person I am as anybody else.

Extermination_order.jpg

Hauns-Mill.jpg

3-4-Haun's-Mill-Massacre-si.jpg

nauvoo-temple-leaving-art-lds_1196618_inl.jpg

nt-burn.jpg

Last edited:

Maybe not my particular Irish butt, but try telling the Irish people that they've never been on the receiving end of colonialism. Ireland knew colonialism. The British moved an entire population of Protestant Scots into Ireland to displace the Irish from their homes. And as we know, the IRA fought back against the British and their replacement population.

The color of my skin is not a crime. The idea that I ought to feel guilt ridden because there have been people with skin pigment similar to mine who have done bad things is just plain stupid. People of all races have done bad things, and people of all races have done good things. People of any given race are not better or worse because of the actions of their distant relatives (or their close relatives either). I have just as much right to be judged based on the person I am as anybody else.
Here here.

Maybe not my particular Irish butt, but try telling the Irish people that they've never been on the receiving end of colonialism. Ireland knew colonialism. The British moved an entire population of Protestant Scots into Ireland to displace the Irish from their homes. And as we know, the IRA fought back against the British and their replacement population.

There are reports (disputed from what I can tell) that at one time the Irish population was killed off and/or sold into slavery in great numbers. Both #s wise and % wise. Something like 50ish % of Irish were killed or sold into slavery.

I feel no guilt or burden for being white. But that doesn't mean I cannot see there are problems in our society. Problems encouraged from all sides.

Every day we hear a new whacked out story. When I saw this one I initially thought it was satire. It's real!

Ottawa University has suspended their free yoga class over concerns of "cultural appropriation." The instructor proposed changing the name of the class to "mindful stretching" but the president of the student union remains concerned that certain groups of people feel left out in yoga-like spaces. Hilarious!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...y-Ottawa-students-cultural-appropriation.html

I went to the original article at the Ottawa Sun to see if there are any difference in reporting and there was none. I did find this part of the original reporting as the most important part of the article:

But Scharf, a yoga teacher with the downtown Rama Lotus Centre, said the concept does not apply in this case, arguing the complaint that killed the program came instead from a "social justice warrior" with "fainting heart ideologies" in search of a cause celebre.

"People are just looking for a reason to be offended by anything they can find," said Scharf.

This is happening all across colleges and universities in this country of ours. It's been mentioned by many comedians, most recently by Mr. Seinfeld, that most comedians are staying away from educational institutions because of the "easily offended." This faux/ manufactured outrage is able to thrive in these places because of all of the like minded slackjaws that are able to "organize" with each other. What I've asked before in one of these similar threads is if anyone has experienced this SJW mentality in day to day life? I haven't and I'm in an industry that is filled with new millennials every new TV season.

A great example of one of these overly raged trolls is our own Butchy, one of the most easily offended hacks on this board.

The situation over the yoga class has less to do with cultural appropriation and more to do with what I quoted...as least in my opinion.

Whatever they are, I have a feeling that they're nothing like participating in a free morning yoga class. Getting offended by that seems obscenely stupid to me.

People suffering from stress, depression, and frustration have also turned to yoga for solace and solutions. Is yoga simply an exercise routine that will give the practitioner a healthy, slim body and some peace of mind? Can yoga be practiced without any religious overtones?

How far back in history can yoga be traced? Figures of people seated in various yoga positions appear on seals found in the Indus Valley, in present-day Pakistan.

The Hindus claim that the figures sitting in yoga positions are images of the god Siva, lord of the animals and lord of yoga, who is often worshiped through the lingam, a phallic symbol. Thus, the book Hindu World calls yoga “a code of ascetic practices, mainly pre-Aryan in origin, containing relics of many primitive conceptions and observances.”

The objective of yoga as a discipline is to lead a person to the spiritual experience of being “yoked” to or merged with a superhuman spirit.

In Hindu World, author Benjamin Walker says of yoga: “It may have been an early system of magical ritualism, and yoga still retains in its meaning an overtone of occultism and sorcery.”

Whatever health instructors may say to the contrary, yoga does not stop with physical exercises! The ultimate goal of yoga is "moksha", explained as the merging with some impersonal great spirit.

The choice of what physical exercise to pursue is a personal one. For those exercising simply for the sake of their health, there are many avenues available that do not involve exposure to the dangers of spiritism and occultism.

So there you have it! Not only is it "offensive" to many....it's down right dangerous!

People suffering from stress, depression, and frustration have also turned to yoga for solace and solutions. Is yoga simply an exercise routine that will give the practitioner a healthy, slim body and some peace of mind? Can yoga be practiced without any religious overtones?

How far back in history can yoga be traced? Figures of people seated in various yoga positions appear on seals found in the Indus Valley, in present-day Pakistan.

The Hindus claim that the figures sitting in yoga positions are images of the god Siva, lord of the animals and lord of yoga, who is often worshiped through the lingam, a phallic symbol. Thus, the book Hindu World calls yoga “a code of ascetic practices, mainly pre-Aryan in origin, containing relics of many primitive conceptions and observances.”

The objective of yoga as a discipline is to lead a person to the spiritual experience of being “yoked” to or merged with a superhuman spirit.

In Hindu World, author Benjamin Walker says of yoga: “It may have been an early system of magical ritualism, and yoga still retains in its meaning an overtone of occultism and sorcery.”

Whatever health instructors may say to the contrary, yoga does not stop with physical exercises! The ultimate goal of yoga is "moksha", explained as the merging with some impersonal great spirit.

The choice of what physical exercise to pursue is a personal one. For those exercising simply for the sake of their health, there are many avenues available that do not involve exposure to the dangers of spiritism and occultism.

So there you have it! Not only is it "offensive" to many....it's down right dangerous!
Two things:

1)When you post someone else's words to this site you should provide a link. Otherwise you are nothing but a plagiarist and a fake.

2) When you stick your conclusion on the end of someone else's argument you should at least take the time to make sure it follows logically.