What's new

The Offseason Cha-cha-changes Thread

If we tear it all down what about Donovan to Orlando for Wagner, this years pick which will be top five, and filler?

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz
Legit interesting. Donovan would HAVE to return AT LEAST a premium asset and many smaller ones.

If you could get Wagner, their pick this year (if top-5), and some other future-facing assets… that’s pretty smoking.

I'm going to predict in the next 18 months that Ainge resigns due to health concerns and then takes a job somewhere else in like 6 months. He seems like he ain't got the time for any of this **** and may have wanted to collect a check for a ready made contender.

****... its so dumb. Quin hates JB or knows he is out... Ainge is checked out already... poor JZ.

DL made some ****** picks and signings but at least he faced his music and built a solid culture.
Bang on about DL. Is Ainge a part of the team or not?

Quin is getting a hip replacement so that's excusable but it could be a sign he is out as well.

Bang on about DL. Is Ainge a part of the team or not?

Quin is getting a hip replacement so that's excusable but it could be a sign he is out as well.
His interview was last week...so Quin is unexcused imo... like could an assistant coach show up? I mean I wonder why our young talent hasn't developed much... organization can't even show up for a ****ing meeting.

I'm going to predict in the next 18 months that Ainge resigns due to health concerns and then takes a job somewhere else in like 6 months. He seems like he ain't got the time for any of this **** and may have wanted to collect a check for a ready made contender.

I wouldn't be at all surprised. This team had the best record in the league last year, and was rolling this year when he was hired...I think they had like a 20-7 record when he joined the team. Since then, the wheels have completely fallen off. I don't think he had any idea what he was getting himself into.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be at all surprised. This team had the best record in the league last year, and was rolling this year when he was hired...I think they had like a 20-7 when he joined the team. Since then, the wheels have completely fallen off. I don't think he had any idea what he was getting himself into.
If we see this thing nuked before the trade deadline then maybe he knew exactly what he was getting himself into.

If the Jazz are really being objective in their planning, they need to wait and see what the offers for their players look like, and then make their decisions. If lottery picks are involved, then this needs to happen after the lottery is finalized. It makes sense that they're keeping things quiet and dragging their feet.

In order to build a bonafide championship contender, a team needs to have multiple young players who are developing together in parallel. Phoenix, for example, has Booker, Ayton, Bridges and Cam Thomas. All of them are lottery-level talents that fit pretty well with one another, and all of them are in the same age range. Then they can add Chris Paul to lead their core, and it works.

The Jazz tried to build themselves a 3-year window with Mike Conley, Bojan Bogdanovic, Joe Ingles and Jordan Clarkson complementing Mitchell and Gobert. That 3-year window just closed after playoff losses to the Nuggets, Clippers and Mavs. Now Mike is declining due to age, Ingles is aging out, and Bojan is in the final year of his deal at age 33. Even Jordan Clarkson turns 30 next month. So in other words, this core has peaked.

The real challenge for the Jazz right now is how they're going to rebuild the rest of their roster around Rudy and Donovan in order to give themselves another 3-year window of contention. They need to reset their timeline, but they may not have the assets to do it unless they trade one or both of their star players. Trading Mike, Bojan and Clarkson is probably not going to bring back a 3rd star player to team with Gobert/Mitchell.

The Jazz's best move is probably to trade Gobert to a team that's desperate to take another step--e.g., Chicago, Sacramento, Brooklyn, maybe Atlanta or New York, and get that team to overpay. Then use those assets to rebuild a younger core around Mitchell. Or, go ahead and trade Mitchell too, so that the windfall of assets from the Gobert and Mitchell trades lets the Jazz reset their timeline to rebuild better.

Last edited:
Reading some of the news clips today, it sounds like Butler, NAW and Trent are playing Summer League along with "our younger players." Who is JZ talking about? The Stars roster? UDFAs? The Jazz ain't got no draft picks.

In a separate tweet Larsen said that Butlers exit interview took place last week, so Quin's surgery can't be used as an excuse for him not taking part.
Thanks, I didn't know that.
His interview was last week...so Quin is unexcused imo... like could an assistant coach show up? I mean I wonder why our young talent hasn't developed much... organization can't even show up for a ****ing meeting.
I don't think there is much of a correlation between exit interviews and development. It sucks that these guys get to cop out, though. It's one of those small things that shows commitment. Bubble wrapping to protect them from accountability is one of the reasons this team took the easy way during the regular season and got eliminated embarrassingly.

//Rant starts here // No need to reply//

The distance Millers had with the team feels pretty much non-existent with Smith. He seriously doesn't feel like an owner. He is too close with the players and that jeopardizes the hierarchy. Being friends is cool and all but it's not really professional. The structure Millers and DL implemented at least allowed people to take their job seriously. The picks may have been bad, trades may have not worked out but it never was this much of a mess. Jazz org is weak now and it trickles down.

Quin is not above blame and I don't see a future with him (unless unlikely drastic changes happen) but his position wasn't a very enviable either. If the Jazz org didn't take such an obvious direction towards pandering certain players, I would have been much more harsher. It just felt to me the tweaks he tried to implement during the regular season were discarded because players were half assing it. Forcing the message here and benching players feels unproductive. Unless it's Spoelstra or Popovich, I don't think any coach in the NBA can fix that and they are both talented and backed up. Too many good coaches got fired because they tried the hard way and got fired to appease players.

Lloyd Pierce got fired because John Collins was complaining about touches and Trae thought he needed more backing. Now they are in a worse spot under McMillan.

Carlisle got fired because he tried to coach Doncic and forced Porzingis to take a backseat. Eventually, they just realized Porzingis wasn't working out.

Vogel won a championship and tried everything to get the guys to buy in but they discarded him like it was his fault.

//Rant Over // No Need to Reply//

Just do the exit interviews, people. It's not that hard.

While we are all venting I’ll go off on my pet peeve: attaching a first round pick to dump Favors’ contract. No matter how I try to rationalize it I’m just furious.

While we are all venting I’ll go off on my pet peeve: attaching a first round pick to dump Favors’ contract. No matter how I try to rationalize it I’m just furious.
Given the background, I think it is the worst trade in franchise history. 1000% foreseeable and unforgivable.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

I don't think there is much of a correlation between exit interviews and development. It sucks that these guys get to cop out, though. It's one of those small things that shows commitment. Bubble wrapping to protect them from accountability is one of the reasons this team took the easy way during the regular season and got eliminated embarrassingly.

//Rant starts here // No need to reply//

The distance Millers had with the team feels pretty much non-existent with Smith. He seriously doesn't feel like an owner. He is too close with the players and that jeopardizes the hierarchy. Being friends is cool and all but it's not really professional. The structure Millers and DL implemented at least allowed people to take their job seriously. The picks may have been bad, trades may have not worked out but it never was this much of a mess. Jazz org is weak now and it trickles down.

Quin is not above blame and I don't see a future with him (unless unlikely drastic changes happen) but his position wasn't a very enviable either. If the Jazz org didn't take such an obvious direction towards pandering certain players, I would have been much more harsher. It just felt to me the tweaks he tried to implement during the regular season were discarded because players were half assing it. Forcing the message here and benching players feels unproductive. Unless it's Spoelstra or Popovich, I don't think any coach in the NBA can fix that and they are both talented and backed up. Too many good coaches got fired because they tried the hard way and got fired to appease players.

Lloyd Pierce got fired because John Collins was complaining about touches and Trae thought he needed more backing. Now they are in a worse spot under McMillan.

Carlisle got fired because he tried to coach Doncic and forced Porzingis to take a backseat. Eventually, they just realized Porzingis wasn't working out.

Vogel won a championship and tried everything to get the guys to buy in but they discarded him like it was his fault.

//Rant Over // No Need to Reply//

Just do the exit interviews, people. It's not that hard.
Not the exit interviews specifically affecting JB it’s the amount of attention he got… couldn’t get one assistant to show up too. Kids clearly not a priority… this is just a sign of how they rolling these days.