What's new

The Offseason Cha-cha-changes Thread

Man he used a bunch of craptastic buzzwords that mean absolutely nothing. I'll raise you a positive organizational symmetry.

Teams would also be interested in Mitchell if he was made available, it’s not just Rudy. Really getting the feeling that Gobert is getting set up as the fall guy.

He was probably the most active/hardest working, but definitely not the most effective, only Donovan was worse. Surprisingly our defender that Dallas shot the worst when he was defending was Clarkson.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/d...s&TeamID=1610612762&sort=PCT_PLUSMINUS&dir=-1
He was guarding Luka and Brunson while Mike and Donovan got Bullock/DFS etc. Royce spent some time on those guys too... JC wasn't a starter, which is what I was talking about. I just don't see Bogey as a liability in this series. Seemed like Donovan, Mike, Rudy were all hunted more... Rudy is hunted in part so he can't come help.

I think he held up fine on possibly the toughest guy to guard in the league... I don't see that as a liability.

I am actually not surprised that the players are not eager to talk, what can you say after a third consecutive post season screw up? They must feel ashamed and tired of repeating the same blah blah.

If Mitchell intends to stay, he'd want Rudy out. It'll be either him or Rudy and the FO will go with Mitchell to stay. But honestly, it should be Rudy to go. He's absolutely just an regular season player. Once the playoffs start, he gets exposed immediately and doesn't have any offense capabilities whatsoever to make himself a threat to opposing teams. Sure there's his defense but still, teams will continue to light up the Jazz and out hustle the Jazz like they always do. Trade Conley, Bojan and Rudy.

Haven’t listened to the Zanik interview, but the tweeted sound bites from the media make it sound like it was just buzzwords and lame excuses.

I especially liked the “proper” offseason line, which was really just another disguised excuse about how bad the last few offseasons have been. If they had just been “proper” offseasons the FO would have definitely done better, and really, the failures should be seen through the lens that they weren’t “proper” offseasons to begin with.

My bold prediction:

Donovan stays, Rudy goes.

Just feels like this FO will acquiesce to him. They visit him in the offseason, ask for his input, D Wade's relationship, hire his staff and friends, etc. Even brought in his childhood friend to ride pine.

Getting rid of Rudy also gives you the opportunity to pursue a new strategy even though I'd argue Gobert is more valuable to the Jazz than DM is.

Whatever the case may be, there simply is no way both are back next year.

He was guarding Luka and Brunson while Mike and Donovan got Bullock/DFS etc. Royce spent some time on those guys too... JC wasn't a starter, which is what I was talking about. I just don't see Bogey as a liability in this series. Seemed like Donovan, Mike, Rudy were all hunted more... Rudy is hunted in part so he can't come help.

I think he held up fine on possibly the toughest guy to guard in the league... I don't see that as a liability.
He guarded the second most fga on our team. So good on him for stepping up and taking on that challenge. I think he is a better on ball defender than off ball, so that was a good adjustment by Quin. He still isn't super effective. I'm not sure I would call him a liability, but you probably need much better perimeter defenders out of your other positions if you want to keep him next to Donovan. In my opinion, you probably can't play both him and Donovan together and have a good defensive team.

He guarded the second most fga on our team. So good on him for stepping up and taking on that challenge. I think he is a better on ball defender than off ball, so that was a good adjustment by Quin. He still isn't super effective. I'm not sure I would call him a liability, but you probably need much better perimeter defenders out of your other positions if you want to keep him next to Donovan. In my opinion, you probably can't play both him and Donovan together and have a good defensive team.
With Luka its tough... I just can't get with the narrative that he is a liability. I think we need better defenders.

TBH if we are playing Donovan I'm not sure we can have a good defense in the playoffs. He was really bad... like Trae Young bad. I think its the thing that concerns me most about him. Physically capable but its just not working.

With Luka its tough... I just can't get with the narrative that he is a liability. I think we need better defenders.

TBH if we are playing Donovan I'm not sure we can have a good defense in the playoffs. He was really bad... like Trae Young bad. I think its the thing that concerns me most about him. Physically capable but its just not working.
This is why building around Donovan is so hard. He has to be surrounded by great defenders who can also shoot and play make. Those guys are not easy to find or cheap.

If they do dump Rudy, there are guys walking the streets that are adequate: Greg Monroe, Boogie, Alex Len, Enes Freedom. Also Dok showed enough against the league MVP to give him another chance. There are also first round picks in the GLeague to fill roles. Jabari Parker is also out there.

This is why building around Donovan is so hard. He has to be surrounded by great defenders who can also shoot and play make. Those guys are not easy to find or cheap.
There are like 10 in the league lol... you ain't getting any cheap. And its exactly why I agree with you.

The super funny line in TJs interview the other day was Jazz are going to surround Donovan with long defenders that can shoot... yeah no ****... they been trying with limited assets to do that... it hasn't worked.

There are like 10 in the league lol... you ain't getting any cheap. And its exactly why I agree with you.

The super funny line in TJs interview the other day was Jazz are going to surround Donovan with long defenders that can shoot... yeah no ****... they been trying with limited assets to do that... it hasn't worked.
It’s why they drafted McDaniels. Oh wait.