What's new

The Rotation

Maybe not. I have a feeling that Conley isn't going to get as much PT as everyone is thinking. I also think he fits better with Donovan than Conley.
Ummmm Conley and DM is a much better fit than Mudiay... not sure if that is what you were saying. Mudiay is not a fit guy... I like him but playing with others is not a strength and he is not the shooter Mike is.

I think Mudiay ends up out of the rotation when Conley comes back... Mix Royce and Morgan in with Clarkson and DM/Conley on the bench units and then one of Bradley/Davis/Niang. I'd like to see if Morgan can hang as a backup 5 but after last night I'm concerned that Niang is so bad defensively that it won't work. DM/Conley, JC, Royce, Morgan, Bradley feels like a lineup that fits.

One thing on Morgan (my new crush if you can't tell)… he gave the ball up to Tucker to go score late in the game... wasn't looking for his shot at all. I thought it was because he'd already gotten his first bucket... but then I checked and he hasn't. Pretty classy honestly... not that he's going to go score from the perimeter like Tucker can but a nice gesture.

We need a backup 5 solution post haste. Status quo is Gobert logging 35+, even in blowouts.

But I do believe Bjelica and Clarkson would make Davis quite serviceable.

Ummmm Conley and DM is a much better fit than Mudiay... not sure if that is what you were saying. Mudiay is not a fit guy... I like him but playing with others is not a strength and he is not the shooter Mike is.
My point on fit is that Mudiay can finish better because of his strength and has shown he can be a willing passer, and Donovan seems to play better with Mudiay in the game rather than Conley to whom he defers too much.

We need a backup 5 solution post haste. Status quo is Gobert logging 35+, even in blowouts.

But I do believe Bjelica and Clarkson would make Davis quite serviceable.
How do you get Bjelica without putting Davis in the deal?

I just think we explore what Bradley/Morgan can bring for a few games... not saying we aren’t kicking tires but I’m not panicking yet... be opportunistic... I think Bradley can be serviceable... give it a few games.

Something will shake loose but it likely would be a minimum guy like Wood. Detroit will have to use the MLE to keep him because they don’t have bird rights... that’s fine but do you want to do that if you are paying Andre and Blake and don’t have a point guard?

Like around the deadline maybe NWG (they might value him) or Mudiay plus a second or two might get it done. If they are letting Andre go they might well keep Wood but I think Christian is in line for a 5-7M a year type of deal if his production stays where it has.

With Bradley the other thing that could happen is he increases his trade value to a point that you get a better win now center on a one year deal if you want one. Like with Wood... he's clearly better than Tony, but Tony being cheap next year and showing some promise might be enough to make a swap.

We need to get to a point where more teams are willing to fold and think about next year... that day is a month or so away for most teams... that's when seconds have some value and things will shake loose. Detroit has sold off some pieces at the deadline for prospects they like and second round picks in recent years. They'd be a team to keep in contact with... I like Galloway and Wood.

How do you get Bjelica without putting Davis in the deal?

I just think we explore what Bradley/Morgan can bring for a few games... not saying we aren’t kicking tires but I’m not panicking yet... be opportunistic... I think Bradley can be serviceable... give it a few games.

Something will shake loose but it likely would be a minimum guy like Wood. Detroit will have to use the MLE to keep him because they don’t have bird rights... that’s fine but do you want to do that if you are paying Andre and Blake and don’t have a point guard?

Like around the deadline maybe NWG (they might value him) or Mudiay plus a second or two might get it done. If they are letting Andre go they might well keep Wood but I think Christian is in line for a 5-7M a year type of deal if his production stays where it has.
1. You can get Bjelica (financially) with Mudiay, NWG, and Bradley.

2. I’d be totally down for Wood.

My point on fit is that Mudiay can finish better because of his strength and has shown he can be a willing passer, and Donovan seems to play better with Mudiay in the game rather than Conley to whom he defers too much.

Jesus you’re a wack job bro. Mudiay is borderline playable. Conley is borderline Hall of Fame.

Jesus you’re a wack job bro. Mudiay is borderline playable. Conley is borderline Hall of Fame.
Conley is a good player but hardly borderline HOF. He's never even made it to the All-Star team in the much weaker Eastern Conference. Mudiay is far from borderline playable. Tell Quin that since he's playing him about 20 minutes a game since Conley went down.

Conley is a good player but hardly borderline HOF. He's never even made it to the All-Star team in the much weaker Eastern Conference. Mudiay is far from borderline playable. Tell Quin that since he's playing him about 20 minutes a game since Conley went down.
You’re really underestimating how big of a feat it would be for him to make an all-star game in the east.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/UTA/2020/on-off/

Go take a look at the On/Off numbers... the bench picked up once we eliminated Green and Davis and added JC... Niang is a shockingly bad -26 net rating. He has played enough that I don't think its a fluke.

It is sad for me personally but I think Niang is absolutely the guy that needs to sit in favor of Morgan... an insane +32 in the smallest sample size full of garbage time. TB is a negative but nothing like Ed was... drags the offense down by himself and the defense isn't any better than when TB is in the game.

For now all we need to do is swap out Niang for Morgan... sorry Georges... drop another 10-15 lbs and get back out there... you still have a place in my heart.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/UTA/2020/on-off/

Go take a look at the On/Off numbers... the bench picked up once we eliminated Green and Davis and added JC... Niang is a shockingly bad -26 net rating. He has played enough that I don't think its a fluke.

It is sad for me personally but I think Niang is absolutely the guy that needs to sit in favor of Morgan... an insane +32 in the smallest sample size full of garbage time. TB is a negative but nothing like Ed was... drags the offense down by himself and the defense isn't any better than when TB is in the game.

For now all we need to do is swap out Niang for Morgan... sorry Georges... drop another 10-15 lbs and get back out there... you still have a place in my heart.
Still not sure that Davis drug the offense down by himself. He had Mudiay, Green, and Niang with him. Not to mention he doesn’t get to play with Gobert like the other three do. Obviously you can say the same for Bradley.

Get Wood and Markieff and we’re ready for the playoffs.
I'm super duper high on Morgan right now... the per 36 numbers in the G League are bonkers... he passes the very limited eye test. Many rookies are contributing on good teams this year... give him a chance.

I'd be all over Wood if we could get him. He was relatively quiet last night but did show his versatility and is the 4/5 combo that really adds something.

Am I the only one who kind of likes Mudiay’s slower but more physical game? I wouldn’t mind if Snyder added a wrinkle in our offense for Mudiay to post up smaller guards. The dude is a tank.

Still not sure that Davis drug the offense down by himself. He had Mudiay, Green, and Niang with him. Not to mention he doesn’t get to play with Gobert like the other three do. Obviously you can say the same for Bradley.

Look it was a team effort for sure... Davis was enemy number one... look at his combo of low percentage shooting, low volume shooting, high turnover rate... then consider that defenses straight ignore his ***... Hes just an awful fit for what we run and wasn't giving us what we need on defense to make up for it. Strength of schedule was working against him too, but he was a dumpster fire.

Look it was a team effort for sure... Davis was enemy number one... look at his combo of low percentage shooting, low volume shooting, high turnover rate... then consider that defenses straight ignore his ***... Hes just an awful fit for what we run and wasn't giving us what we need on defense to make up for it. Strength of schedule was working against him too, but he was a dumpster fire.
I’m going to refuse your ticket when you try to re-board the Davis train.

Am I the only one who kind of likes Mudiay’s slower but more physical game? I wouldn’t mind if Snyder added a wrinkle in our offense for Mudiay to post up smaller guards. The dude is a tank.

He has some use... it isn't the shooting or the defense that bother me most... its the turnovers... way too many turnovers and some are just dribbling issues. He does some things well (rebounding for example) and he has made progress, but his spot in the rotation is basically gone once Conley returns and we will be better for it... nice to know he is functional most nights if we have an injury.