What's new

THT Will Be The Starting PG

this makes me feel gross and I'm already having a terrible day... but I will concede that @Saint Cy of JFC is correct and THT should start alongside JC as the pg. I will take no further questions and would ask that everyone respect me and my family's privacy during this challenging time. Thank you.

THT just has a lot of unnecessary hate on this forum. I'm sure it's partly due to me being his biggest champion and a lot of posters on this board just so things out of spite because they lack knowledge of ball
This. If you like the hate he gets then keep doing what you do. If you dont like it then you could always try changing what you are doing.

Very D-Will-esque on his drives.

He doesn't have the passing game D-Will had, but body type and general offensive game is pretty similar.
If THT could add some change of pace on his drives/PNR to manipulate the defense more e that would be the next step. Not sure he has that in him

this makes me feel gross and I'm already having a terrible day... but I will concede that @Saint Cy of JFC is correct and THT should start alongside JC as the pg. I will take no further questions and would ask that everyone respect me and my family's privacy during this challenging time. Thank you.
I am feeling the same… but I would start Key and THT.

I am feeling the same… but I would start Key and THT.
That makes more sense than what we have been doing. I just think JC is so good and if we are trying to win he's a starter for sure.

I also just don't think Collin is in a great position to succeed as a starter with the other things we need. Just let him be Collin for 20 minutes off the bench I guess. IDK I could see him getting moved. I still love him and his enthusiasm just not sure what to do with him.

If THT could add some change of pace on his drives/PNR to manipulate the defense more e that would be the next step. Not sure he has that in him
The easiest next step... the lowest hanging fruit... is to eliminate one off the dribble three per game and one ill advised drive. Its the heat check quick three after hitting one that drives me nuts cuz its the easiest thing to fix. Try to be a 12-15 pt per game guy who gets 7-8 assists by moving the ball and 5-6 rebounds (over 30 minutes). Pick your spots... if you are open on a spot up go ahead and let it fly. Late shot clock go full spaz if you want.

That makes more sense than what we have been doing. I just think JC is so good and if we are trying to win he's a starter for sure.

I also just don't think Collin is in a great position to succeed as a starter with the other things we need. Just let him be Collin for 20 minutes off the bench I guess. IDK I could see him getting moved. I still love him and his enthusiasm just not sure what to do with him.

The big thing with Collin like most scoring guards is that you have to give them enough rope to get going. They can be struggling and then suddenly go off for 10 points in a couple minutes. We saw that a bunch last year from Sexton and from Clarkson his entire career here.

Also JC still has chemistry with Lauri even if he isnt constantly looking for him. Last game they showed that connection a few times.

The big thing with Collin like most scoring guards is that you have to give them enough rope to get going. They can be struggling and then suddenly go off for 10 points in a couple minutes. We saw that a bunch last year from Sexton and from Clarkson his entire career here.
Yeah, he gets that rope off the bench

There is a bigger break and less travel before our next preseason game, so its fairly plausible Hardy will switch things around.

One thing people need to remember is that last year when Conley went down our starting 5 played pretty great offensively. These were our most played 5 player lineups during that stretch:
Screenshot_20231011_200220_Chrome.jpg

I think if you remove Olynyk and Vando and add Collins and Kessler you make it slightly worse offensively but also much better defensively.

So Sexton + Clarkson could also still be a valid scenario that Hardy just doesnt need to see because those two ran together for over 900 minutes total last year.

Also important distinction, TBT should have had 26 points on 10/18 from the floor if the refs saw the clear goaltending call

Sexton/Clarkson worked very well together last year so that is definitely one way I would consider going.

She said they might start THT so they know what they have so they can make a decision on him. Right now that decision is trending towards re-sign.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTZPAg1wrbw
You can take what she said how ever you want but in the Locked on Jazz video at the 26:15 mark she clearly says that they might just start THT for the sole purpose of trying to see what value they can get for him in a trade. That’s what I was going off

It's still shocking to me so many people on this forum both cape for Dunn and espouse how worried they are about spacing

Yes, THT will take bad shots from time to time. But taking the occasional bad shot is better for spacing than passing up wide open corner 3s which Dunn did 2 or 3 times last night.

I will take the aggressive player over the passive one any day. THT played a good first quarter even though the stats weren't there. The 2nd quarter he pressed too much and that's probably why Hardy sat him to start the 3rs, but then he came back in the game and played the way he should. He was aggressive getting to the rim and was igniting transition opportunities for the team with his hit ahead passing. Dunn played against the same guys THT did and the offense was not running nearly as well

If Dunn misses an open 3 he probably will pass up the next few open shots. That's a spacing killer. THT doesn't give a ****, for better or worse, but that is part of his talent and how he is able to make such great plays because he doesn't hesitate.
Passing up open threes hurts the team most of the time regardless of if its a good shooter or bad. But the thing that kills spacing more is respect. If defenses stick close and close out consistently it opens the floor up. If they sag off, it really hurts. But yeah, Dunn has a bit of Ingles in him where he passes up shots he should take thinking its the right thing to do and it hurts the team. THT concerns me because if he gets better and starts really making a difference he will get the Westbrook treatment and every defender will sag off of him hard until he makes a few in a row. But I really think he can mature and take better shots and that will really change the perception.

But yeah, Dunn has a bit of Ingles in him where he passes up shots he should take thinking its the right thing to do and it hurts the team.

Nah. Dunn is a career 31% shooter from the perimeter (on microscopic volume to boot) and he knows it. He shouldn't be taking those shots, which, in the modern NBA, also means that hes's not a starter, because you have to have at least some gravity out there if you're a (point) guard. Dunn's comfort zone is in the paint.

Ingles is very different. He's the kind of dude who can really be unselfish to a fault.

THT apparently solidified his spot in the rotation, but not as the title indicates.

Hardy yesterday to KSL:
"Talen is at his best one-on-one in a lot of space," Hardy said. "He's very hard to keep in front of because of his athleticism, his strength, his size. With that second group playing with a little bit more space, he was able to generate some downhill penetration to the rim."

Hardy said the Jazz need to figure out better ways to get him those chances when things slow down in a half-court setting. The best way to do that, Hardy said, is to bring perimeter players to him, not bigs. But Lauri Markkanen and Walker Kessler not being heavily involved in the offense is not what the Jazz have in mind.

"Who fits with the frontcourt is massively important to the decisions that we're going to make," he said.

I was just about to start buying those THT stocks that Cy has been selling. Guess that still means he wont be traded (Hardy obviously wants to use his skillset) and he might be the main scorer off the bench when Kessler comes off.

I was just about to start buying those THT stocks that Cy has been selling. Guess that still means he wont be traded (Hardy obviously wants to use his skillset) and he might be the main scorer off the bench when Kessler comes off.
I'm not selling. I'm buying

Nah. Dunn is a career 31% shooter from the perimeter (on microscopic volume to boot) and he knows it. He shouldn't be taking those shots, which, in the modern NBA, also means that hes's not a starter, because you have to have at least some gravity out there if you're a (point) guard. Dunn's comfort zone is in the paint.

Ingles is very different. He's the kind of dude who can really be unselfish to a fault.
Ingles hurt us a lot passing up those shots. Especially in the playoffs. Usually it turns into a turnover. It's pretty much a lost possession to get a wide open 3 and pass it up in the NBA. It's better to take the shot even if you're not the best shooter. Most players are better wide open and still a shot at a rebound. Unless someone else is wide open at a better shot take it.