What's new

Trade deadline discussion

I swear someone, maybe Locke, said he was the worst defensive big man in the nba last year. So definite no to Bagley.
He’s so bad that Sacramento started winning once they benched him… that’s right… Sacramento and winning.

I think it's wise for a front office to talk to their main players prior to a deal. It just makes sense to. Don't give them veto power, but feel them out. You have to know internally if the team is going to struggle if a certain player is dealt. It's also good to know if a player might be unwelcome if traded for.

Players shouldnt have power but they should be allowed to have a say. I think this is important in almost all lines of work.

I would be perfectly fine if Don, Rudy and even Mike are asked about a player before we deal for him.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
Sure you can ask… but then what happens when he says don’t trade Royce. What if it’s a good deal… now you asked him and go against his orders or you miss out on a good deal.

I would talk with them generally but not on specific moves.

Sure you can ask… but then what happens when he says don’t trade Royce. What if it’s a good deal… now you asked him and go against his orders or you miss out on a good deal.

I would talk with them generally but not on specific moves.
You tell Donovan anything he doesnt vibe with and he's going to leak something to the media to combat it.

Off subject but what are the chances we have just been dogging it for the last four or five weeks? The energy and defense has been so much better the last few games. From every player. Has playing the young guys inspired everyone. Has Jensens philosophy motivated them. What's the difference? Maybe just lesser competition with everyone setting out on the other team, but that shouldn't inspire more effort.

I’m at the point where I would ship JC for peanuts. All of his value is wrapped up in his ability to “carry” the usage load when Don is out, but the truth is we can score with anyone. Forrest looks so much better when he tries to score. Paschall can score. Butler might even be a better offensive engine because he can pass.

It would be a bad optics trade and tough to convince the other player….but even if it’s just for an expiring salary so we aren’t in the tax next year it’s a good piece of business.

Now if we could move him for a Smart/Richardson type….we’d be in business.
Butler had some real pro NBA glimpses last night. Imagine where he might be right now if he had been playing some minutes instead of Clarkson going 2-12 from 3 in 32 mpg most nights?

Off subject but what are the chances we have just been dogging it for the last four or five weeks? The energy and defense has been so much better the last few games. From every player. Has playing the young guys inspired everyone. Has Jensens philosophy motivated them. What's the difference? Maybe just lesser competition with everyone setting out on the other team, but that shouldn't inspire more effort.
I like to be optimistic and hope that the regulars saw how hard the scrubs were playing and were inspired to actually kick it up a few notches and actually play hard. It's very refreshing. Let's hope it lasts.

No. It's an overblown storyline led by people who are trying to slander Don because we traded a 2nd for Paschall who many people liked regardless of him being being childhood friend of Don's.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
Paschall was a good signing. He needs more minutes. He's our Crowder in the making with better 3pt%.

Sadly the realist in me believes Snyder is chalking up the good play of the scrubs and us winning last night to a statistical outlier and will of course take the team back to the mean.

Trust the system. The system is sound. The system is life. Never doubt the system. Never question the system.

Sadly the realist in me believes Snyder is chalking up the good play of the scrubs and us winning last night to a statistical outlier and will of course take the team back to the mean.

Trust the system. The system is sound. The system is life. Never doubt the system. Never question the system.
I don’t have qualms with the system (on offense). I have qualms that Quin plays favorites, grinds down his main players (including not pulling them in blowouts) at the same time as won’t give anyone outside the rotation minutes or an inch of leash. The offensive system and rotation/opportunities/accountability are not the same thing, and yeah, I do think the vets are getting a little concerned that they’re being exposed as straight up lazy. I do think some of their effort is inspired by that.

If Clarkson can improve his shot selection and do the bare minimum on defense then that’s fine I guess, I just do not at all believe that that is in his nature and I do not trust that Quin will do anything to reign him in. For God’s sake, he encourages him to shoot ridiculous shots.

I don’t have qualms with the system (on offense). I have qualms that Quin plays favorites, grinds down his main players (including not pulling them in blowouts) at the same time as won’t give anyone outside the rotation minutes or an inch of leash. The offensive system and rotation/opportunities/accountability are not the same thing, and yeah, I do think the vets are getting a little concerned that they’re being exposed as straight up lazy. I do think some of their effort is inspired by that.

If Clarkson can improve his shot selection and do the bare minimum on defense then that’s fine I guess, I just do not at all believe that that is in his nature and I do not trust that Quin will do anything to reign him in. For God’s sake, he encourages him to shoot ridiculous shots.
You just defined the system. That's the problem with the system. Yes offensively we get clicking but a bigger part of the system is not the sets we run, but the way he uses his players. And it's just bad, frankly.

The bigger problem with Clarkson is we have 2 guys in Butler and Forrest who are showing they can not only score, but they play hard on defense, have excellent handles, and are very unselfish. They are both what we need Clarkson to be, and as they get more confidence they are just getting better. Right now I'd much rather see Forrest or Butler on the floor than Clarkson. And that tears me up because I freaking love Clarkson. I just wish he did more than dribble and shoot. Like almost anything more.

What’s amazing is that this argument appeals to the ‘smart’ people who don’t want to look stupid getting hyped by an outlier, but Quin’s strategy in winning the post season is about getting a good roll on an outlier. It’s literally based on that. Have a baseline mean where the positively skewed outliers mean you’re the champion. That’s a globally true strategy, but when we pretend that we don’t need adjustments because our assumption is that that positive outlier only exists a standard deviation above the mean, it’s problematic.

What’s amazing is that this argument appeals to the ‘smart’ people who don’t want to look stupid getting hyped by an outlier, but Quin’s strategy in winning the post season is about getting a good roll on an outlier. It’s literally based on that. Have a baseline mean where the positively skewed outliers mean you’re the champion. That’s a globally true strategy, but when we pretend that we don’t need adjustments because our assumption is that that positive outlier only exists a standard deviation above the mean, it’s problematic.
Agreed. But I do not believe Quin views it that way. I'm sure his belief is that the process as designed will lead to the championship and we just have to weather the statistical outliers, such as bad shooting nights, games with especially poor defensive effort, and other teams with systems that counter ours not being threats significant enough to win more than 3 games in a 7-game series. He believes his system is the engine that gets us there and anything that disrupts it is the outlier.

Why is that whenever the "smart" or "analytical" conversation is brought up, people always get it backwards? If you believe that Quin is too dependent on his one strategy, he is depending on outliers not happening. It can't be, he's indifferent to the possibility of outliers and he's also dependent on outliers. Pick one or the other. You can't criticize a coach for doing two things that are direct opposites of each other.

Why is that whenever the "smart" or "analytical" conversation is brought up, people always get it backwards? If you believe that Quin is too dependent on his one strategy, he is depending on outliers not happening. It can't be, he's indifferent to the possibility of outliers and he's also dependent on outliers. Pick one or the other. You can't criticize a coach for doing two things that are direct opposites of each other.
You miss the point. It's that he thinks he's doing one of them but in practice he's actually doing the other.