What's new

Trade deadline discussion

Donovan played great defense against Denver at times but couldn't carry all the weight on both sides.

I want his regular season defense to improve, but his postseason effort on both sides is fine. Our issue is that we don't have a great perimeter defender.

He can always do more, but we aren't losing series because of Donovan outside of 2019 Houston.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
You think his playoff defense has been good?? Are you watching those games??

Only if they can wrangle up the picks elsewhere. I think it's real dangerous to be dipping into anymore 1sts, this thing feels like it could blow up overnight and we don't have the luxury of being in New York or LA.

I think the Jazz need to swing for it. I'm a believer in Grant and think he'd be a borderline All Star with the Jazz's current team (like 20/6/5). Conley/Mitchell/Grant/Gobert and whomever as the 5th player will be really tough to stop. Ingles/Royce/Butler + FRP would be near the package the Jazz offered for Conley. If that turns out to be the price, I'd pay it. Then use Clarkson and change for Josh Richardson or Josh Hart.

I think the Jazz need to swing for it. I'm a believer in Grant and think he'd be a borderline All Star with the Jazz's current team (like 20/6/5). Conley/Mitchell/Grant/Gobert and whomever as the 5th player will be really tough to stop. Ingles/Royce/Butler + FRP would be near the package the Jazz offered for Conley. If that turns out to be the price, I'd pay it.
Okay, sure, but it won't be. All the buyers this season want Grant and it's gonna take at least two 1sts or a 1st and a proven young player. If we can extract a first out of Clarkson and/or Bogey, then maybe.

Been watching some defensive highlights... pretty alluring. Averages over a block a game. He definitely gets after it on contesting which is exactly what we need.

But if this goes sideways the Jazz gotta be able to get something out of losing a ********.

The thing that pops is that he's a top-level athlete with good touch and end-to-end speed. On a spaced floor with Conley, Mitchell and whoever, he's going to fly to the rim. Plus he can just shoot over most defenders. He wants to get paid, but I think he'll be worth it. He's a legit 2nd option next to Mitchell. He'll be better when he's on a better team (similar to DeRozan). Plus, he's a legit help-side defender. He might even be able to sneak a few minutes a the 5.

Last edited:
The thing that pops is that he's a top-level athlete with good touch and end-to-end speed. On a spaced floor with Conley, Mitchell and whoever, he's going to fly to the rim. Plus he can just shoot over most defenders. He wants to get paid, but I think he'll be worth it. He's a legit 2nd option next to Mitchell. He'll be better when he's on a better team (similar to DeRozan). Plus, he's a legit help-side defender. He might even be able to sneak a few minutes a the 5.

Here’s one from left field, not even sure if he is available, but Dillon Brooks would be a good get for the Jazz. Definitely an upgrade on Royce at the SF position. Provides an offensive and defensive presence and a bit of a hard edge this team lacks. Again probably unlikely but may be worth the question as the Grizzlies seem to have a few of his type.

You can describe it in numerous different ways that have different angles on the same concept. I say half-dozen and you’re insistent on “well, no, actually it’s 6. Lol. You can say it’s 6 but it’s not half dozen.”

Quin is rigid. Why is Quin rigid? Because he thinks what he has works more than it does. He thinks our 75th percentile performance is our 50th percentile.

But I’ll call it six, if you want me to.

ETA: expecting next response to be “lol I don’t think it’s six at all, it’s definitely not six. It’s 3+3.”

I have no problem with you calling it six. I would agree. Never took issue with saying that Quin has the wrong strategy. You said he was rigid because he built his strategy on outliers. Makes not sense. It’s like saying Quin thinks there’s actually seven eggs because he relies on math and that’s why it’s problematic to use math.

It’s the same thing as people saying we don’t give it to Gobert down low because of analytics. You’re not wrong that it’s bad to not pas the ball to Gobert for an easy dunk. But you’ve got to stop associating everything bad with being “analytical”. If we were being analytical, we’d pass the ball to Gobert.

Last edited:
Here’s one from left field, not even sure if he is available, but Dillon Brooks would be a good get for the Jazz. Definitely an upgrade on Royce at the SF position. Provides an offensive and defensive presence and a bit of a hard edge this team lacks. Again probably unlikely but may be worth the question as the Grizzlies seem to have a few of his type.

Brooks is bad on both ends. But he is the best fake good player in the league.

Yuta Watanabe has been struggling lately since losing minutes when the Raptors got fully healthy.

Still think he'd be a huge addition to the team.

I have no problem with you calling it six. I would agree. Never took issue with saying that Quin has the wrong strategy. You said he was rigid because he built his strategy on outliers. Makes not sense. It’s like saying Quin thinks there’s actually seven eggs because he relies on math and that’s why it’s problematic to use math.

It’s the same thing as people saying we don’t give it to Gobert down low because of analytics. You’re not wrong that it’s bad to not pas the ball to Gobert for an easy dunk. But you’ve got to stop associating everything bad with being “analytical”. If we were being analytical, we’d pass the ball to Gobert.
The problem is, is that I didn’t say any of this. Log summarized it well. Quin doesn’t think he’s relying on exceptions, and he doesn’t believe his emphasis is to wait for an exception. He feels he’s set up the rule, and we need to continue to put the right variables in to prove the rule, and when we’ve done that with exactness, the rule is the answer and not an exception.

Jazz do this deal to save money and get off Clarkson. Raptors would throw in some 2nd round picks. Actually think Clarkson would fit their team as they have an offensively challenged bench unit.

Can the Jazz restore Dragic for one last playoff run? I admittedly know nothing of his situation this year. Just saw he is out for personal reasons.