What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

It would be a smart move for them. Not that Conley is a great fit, but Levert is damaged goods and on a contract year. They can bring Conley off the bench and he's going to be highly highly productive for them. Not sure what their cap situation entails, but it's not like Cleveland is going to sign anyone good this year (the FA pool sucks *** and they are Cleveland).

They are buying low on a guy who was one of the more impactful regular season players in the NBA.
I sometimes think we are missing the boat a little and should consider moving JC if Mike's trade value isn't high... then move Mike to the bench. Mike clears more salary room... but our passing is going to go from terrible to laughable unless Mike is replaced by someone with some passing skills. I'm also getting sick to my stomach thinking about how much dribble heavy iso ball we end up playing next year.

The team put out a puff piece on JC today. That leaves Royce, Gay and Juancho as the only players not given officially sanctioned puff pieces. Is that who get's traded?

If they want Conley, then only getting expiring LeVert is bad asset management by us in my opinion.

At least send them Rudy Gay and bring back expirings. Or get 2nd rounders. Something

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Last edited:
Tony Jones is starting to change his tune a bit...since the Jazz were eliminated, he's been saying that there is definitely going to going to be significant change to the roster, and the Jazz for sure won't be running it back with this same core intact. Now this week he did interviews on Checkett's show and Bill Riley's show and he's now saying there is a ton of variance in what the Jazz could do this offseason...there is a chance they could make multiple trades and really shakeup the roster, or there's a chance they'll do the very minimal in terms or trades. He's also starting his usual offseason and trade deadline shtick of the front office is going to be very active and very aggressive, but just because your active doesn't mean you're going to make trades...he says they'll be super active and aggressive in trade talks, but it may not materialize into actual trades.

I really thought this offseason was going to be different, but now I'm thinking we'll likely just run it back with this same aging core again next season, and just make a few moves around the margins. If that's the case, I think we'll likely be a play-in team next season.

Translation: Dallas would love to have Rudy Gobert, but doesn't have a trade offer that would entice the Jazz.
Or... they may not be planning an all out pursuit... same with Atlanta... I don't think the trade market for Rudy is as strong as people think. Dallas has a major luxury tax problem. Atlanta has a cap crunch that could get hard to navigate with Trae's big deal. Rudy's contract is going to be hurt his trade value.

I don't think every bit of news is spin... I think a lot of it is rooted in truth. I think we kicked the tires on a Rudy trade as soon as the offseason happened. I think what they found was not particularly exciting, so they have adjusted to keeping Rudy and Don and seeing if they can do something with Mike, Bogey, etc.

Tony Jones is starting to change his tune a bit...since the Jazz were eliminated, he's been saying that there is definitely going to going to be significant change to the roster, and the Jazz for sure won't be running it back with this same core intact. Now this week he did interviews on Checkett's show and Bill Riley's show and he's now saying there is a ton of variance in what the Jazz could do this offseason...there is a chance they could make multiple trades and really shakeup the roster, or there's a chance they'll do the very minimal in terms or trades. He's also starting his usual offseason and trade deadline shtick of the front office is going to be very active and very aggressive, but just because your active doesn't mean you're going to make trades...he says they'll be super active and aggressive in trade talks, but it may not materialize into actual trades.

I really thought this offseason was going to be different, but now I'm thinking we'll likely just run it back with this same aging core again next season, and just make a few moves around the margins. If that's the case, I think we'll likely be a play-in team next season.
I think it kind of stems from finding out our trade assets aren't as sexy as we think they may be. While I kind of agree you don't want to trade just for the sake of trading... I'm not sure keeping your top 7-8 guys together without adding any first round guys and while navigating the luxury tax is super smart.

Or... they may not be planning an all out pursuit... same with Atlanta... I don't think the trade market for Rudy is as strong as people think. Dallas has a major luxury tax problem. Atlanta has a cap crunch that could get hard to navigate with Trae's big deal. Rudy's contract is going to be hurt his trade value.

I don't think every bit of news is spin... I think a lot of it is rooted in truth. I think we kicked the tires on a Rudy trade as soon as the offseason happened. I think what they found was not particularly exciting, so they have adjusted to keeping Rudy and Don and seeing if they can do something with Mike, Bogey, etc.

In reality, Dallas doesn't have the pieces to trade for Rudy, and the verdict on whether an offer for Rudy or Donovan gets strong enough for the Jazz to pull the trigger won't happen until closer to the draft when everything shakes out. Right now, everyone's posturing, and any press release about a team's trade intentions should likely be taken with a grain of salt.

Also, just once I would love for Tony to say that the Jazz are being pretty passive. They are really just letting things come to them and seeing how that works.

If you aren't making trades materialize then you may not have been aggressive enough with offers. Anyone would do a trade that is an obvious win for them. Being aggressive means you might take a little more risk to get a deal done.

If they want Conley, then only getting expiring LeVert is bad asset management by us in my opinion.

At least send them Rudy Gay and bring back expirings. Or get 2nd rounders. Something

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app
You are so odd lmao

You rant all day about how much Conley's contract hurts us and how overpaid he is, but you think you can dump Rudy Gay with him?

In reality, Dallas doesn't have the pieces to trade for Rudy, and the verdict on whether an offer for Rudy or Donovan gets strong enough for the Jazz to pull the trigger won't happen until closer to the draft when everything shakes out. Right now, everyone's posturing, and any press release about a team's trade intentions should likely be taken with a grain of salt.
I think they have the pieces in a Jrue Holiday type deal... but we aren't willing to rebuild.

I think the core issue of any Rudy trade is that Rudy's on court value to us >>>>> his trade value. Like the rumored Atlanta interest... I'm honestly not sure that Collins + Capela for Rudy is on the table. I kind of believe the reports that they aren't as gung ho on a center upgrade and will prioritize other areas. They might do Hunter and Capela but I really think Hunter isn't nearly as good as some seem to think.

I honestly think they have made the rounds a couple times and are underwhelmed at the return.

The trade market is strong, the offers just aren't going to be great. Teams will look at Rudy as a buy low option so get a high impact player for cheaper than would usually be required for a player at his impact level. Teams want a value buy on Rudy, not fair price.

The trade market is strong, the offers just aren't going to be great. Teams will look at Rudy as a buy low option so get a high impact player for cheaper than would usually be required for a player at his impact level. Teams want a value buy on Rudy, not fair price.
You just described a weak trade market. Having a bunch of teams that want to buy low is not a strong trade market.

You know what I mean... There's a lot of buyers if Utah wants a package to tank with.
I don't think there are going to be a lot of great offers. Would someone like Dallas jump on it if it was Bertans, Hardaway, and two lotto protected firsts? Of course.

I just think there are some semi-interested teams, there may be one or two "suitors"... then sure there are 5 or 6 other teams that will take him if you are giving him away.

The mega-rich offers we throw out are likely not there.

I don't think there are going to be a lot of great offers. Would someone like Dallas jump on it if it was Bertans, Hardaway, and two lotto protected firsts? Of course.

I just think there are some semi-interested teams, there may be one or two "suitors"... then sure there are 5 or 6 other teams that will take him if you are giving him away.

The mega-rich offers we throw out are likely not there.
The mega rich ones Ferguson throws out are certainly not there