What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

I don't really understand this Butler assertion. He did look better with the ball in his hands....but the man won a national championship playing alongside another PG. Donovan at PG vs SG doesn't mean a damn thing. What matters is the players/talent he's on the court with and we desperately needed Conley to play better. Every team wants multiple ballhandlers, especially us. Multiple ballhandlers has been a pillar of our offense for years. I really hope this is TJ just conjecturing and voicing his own personal opinion versus a true report on how our FO/Coaching staff thinks. But it ****ing baffled me when Quin didn't think Paschall couldn't play C because of his lack of inside presence...aka the thing he's best at.

People talk about this Don-Rudy all day for their personal grievances and on court limitations....and for good reason. But the failure between coaching/FO is awful. They are not in sync, Quin has butted heads with both DL and whoever is in control now, and both have failed at doing their jobs on their own. There's disfunction top to bottom in this franchise, but it really gets glossed over because we are Woj friendly lol.
Paschall couldnt play center because he's an awful rebounder and is incapable of playing any kind of defense that isnt switching.

ANd Utah cant play switching because we are a bad rebounding team without Gobert and our players arent good enough at individual defense to switch.

Paschall couldnt play center because he's an awful rebounder and is incapable of playing any kind of defense that isnt switching.

ANd Utah cant play switching because we are a bad rebounding team without Gobert and our players arent good enough at individual defense to switch.

It would have been fine if that's what Quin said, but he specifically said we couldn't play Paschall because we needed an inside scoring presence on offense.

I don't really understand this Butler assertion. He did look better with the ball in his hands....but the man won a national championship playing alongside another PG. Donovan at PG vs SG doesn't mean a damn thing. What matters is the players/talent he's on the court with and we desperately needed Conley to play better. Every team wants multiple ballhandlers, especially us. Multiple ballhandlers has been a pillar of our offense for years. I really hope this is TJ just conjecturing and voicing his own personal opinion versus a true report on how our FO/Coaching staff thinks. But it ****ing baffled me when Quin didn't think Paschall couldn't play C because of his lack of inside presence...aka the thing he's best at.

People talk about this Don-Rudy all day for their personal grievances and on court limitations....and for good reason. But the failure between coaching/FO is awful. They are not in sync, Quin has butted heads with both DL and whoever is in control now, and both have failed at doing their jobs on their own. There's disfunction top to bottom in this franchise, but it really gets glossed over because we are Woj friendly lol.
JB's handling made no sense... he didn't play because he had to have the ball in his hands... but he got more assists per minute than anyone on the roster not named Mike Conley. Also, Trent Forrest is a complete zero on offense without the ball... actually he's a big negative off ball. JB's defense is rookie level so its iffy I get it... but he gets his hands on the ball a lot... he's not a zero there.

It was just weird that Quin was already pooring cold water on the kid in pre-season before he had a chance to **** up... then when he failed because they wanted him to play like Miye Oni they buried him. They also abandoned the rest Mike strategy when all their messaging was to keep him fresh when it mattered most... now all the beat guys are like "they relied on him too much during the season when Donovan was out and wore him out". Its all this inconsistent garbage.

I'm convinced the only reason Quin is still around is the Jazz don't want to pay his contract out after firing him... and Quin will coach another year as a lame duck until Pop retires... and that he is checked out.

JB's handling made no sense... he didn't play because he had to have the ball in his hands... but he got more assists per minute than anyone on the roster not named Mike Conley. Also, Trent Forrest is a complete zero on offense without the ball... actually he's a big negative off ball. JB's defense is rookie level so its iffy I get it... but he gets his hands on the ball a lot... he's not a zero there.

It was just weird that Quin was already pooring cold water on the kid in pre-season before he had a chance to **** up... then when he failed because they wanted him to play like Miye Oni they buried him. They also abandoned the rest Mike strategy when all their messaging was to keep him fresh when it mattered most... now all the beat guys are like "they relied on him too much during the season when Donovan was out and wore him out". Its all this inconsistent garbage.

I'm convinced the only reason Quin is still around is the Jazz don't want to pay his contract out after firing him... and Quin will coach another year as a lame duck until Pop retires... and that he is checked out.
Conspiracy: Donovan hates JB so JB doesnt play

Jared Butler can play off the ball, and he can move the ball. He just needs to stop trying to isolate so much. If the Jazz move him, I'd imagine it's because he's one of the few young players the Jazz have that would draw interest from teams.

Yes, TF is way more ball dominant that Butler. I just don't understand the evaluations of these players. If we were to say that JB isn't in the future because he's too small to play with Mitchell or even that he's simply not very good it would be more legitimate. But because he's too ball dominant? Seriously? We're talking about a second round pick here also....not like we're talking about inserting him into the starting lineup. We have a revolving door of fringe guards and I don't see why we won't give him a chance to compete with Forrest, NAW, etc. Even if you think that JB absolutely cannot play with Mitchell (which would make sense if you made that argument defensively, not offensively)...why is that preventing you from giving him a chance as a backup?

Quin declined a contract extension himself IIRC, his future with the Jazz is in his hands. One thing you can't take away from Quin is that his players love him. They will vouch for him not matter what....even if they don't really execute on the court. They are always in support of him. He may be a great people person, but I would also say the coddling of his players pays dividends here. If Quin asked to Don to play defense instead of allowing him to become a complete liability, would Don publicly support him? Probably not. I don't think Quin has the ability to say, "Don needs to play defense, they're killing him" in the same way that Kidd did with Luka. But that probably has more to do with Luka vs Don and their respective mentalities.

I do agree that Quin is checked out. I think he's waiting for a different job. It wouldn't surprise me if he took the year off to preserve his stock if Pop isn't retiring. Quin is media darling who regularly gets embarrassed by coaches who the media clowns on. Malone, Lue, and Kidd were all clowned on before they dismantled Quin in playoff series.

Conspiracy: Donovan hates JB so JB doesnt play
Look... I don't want to be that guy... I don't but there are some dots there...

I am not accusing... I am merely just throwing it out there. It is likely that Donovan likes JB a lot and he seems very supportive of all his younger teammates throughout the year.

Here are the two dots - There was an article when JB was getting all the pre-season shine about him saying anything Donovan can do he believed he could do. It was a puff piece about how confident JB is... but I remember one line where he was like "oh you don't think I can do that... okay bet".

Second dot... Donovan loves Trent. By all accounts he is a serious hard worker and everyone loves him. Would a coach put Forrest out there because he think thats what Donovan wants?

Its a loose conspiracy theory but it would make more sense than what I've been sold so far.

Look... I don't want to be that guy... I don't but there are some dots there...

I am not accusing... I am merely just throwing it out there. It is likely that Donovan likes JB a lot and he seems very supportive of all his younger teammates throughout the year.

Here are the two dots - There was an article when JB was getting all the pre-season shine about him saying anything Donovan can do he believed he could do. It was a puff piece about how confident JB is... but I remember one line where he was like "oh you don't think I can do that... okay bet".

Second dot... Donovan loves Trent. By all accounts he is a serious hard worker and everyone loves him. Would a coach put Forrest out there because he think thats what Donovan wants?

Its a loose conspiracy theory but it would make more sense than what I've been sold so far.
Lmao, I'm mostly joking.

I think the real reason is pretty obvious. It's defense.

Utah had the #1 regular season offense. Quin probably didnt think they needed to add another offensive centric player in the rotation, so they go with Forrest.

The elephant in the living room is that the Jazz don't have good enough foundational players to make a run to the WCF or Finals. Yet, Jazz media are talking about who we can put around Gobert and Mitchell.

I have to think that this is probably blowing smoke to protect our players' trade value while trade discussions are going on. The team is currently all out of whack.

Jared Butler can play off the ball, and he can move the ball. He just needs to stop trying to isolate so much. If the Jazz move him, I'd imagine it's because he's one of the few young players the Jazz have that would draw interest from teams.
The only difference between what JB did and what Forrest did is that JB can and did something with the ball versus Forrest dribbling to nowhere. They both stop the ball... one guy can do something with it.

Lmao, I'm mostly joking.

I think the real reason is pretty obvious. It's defense.

Utah had the #1 regular season offense. Quin probably didnt think they needed to add another offensive centric player in the rotation, so they go with Forrest.
Me too... but thats how good conspiracies start.

The other thing about TJ's report was it was like "JB will be on a different team and put up numbers". Why would he be on a different team? Even if you can't use him now he is restricted next year. If he is on the bench all season it isn't like he will get an offer we can't match. Just keep him.

The elephant in the living room is that the Jazz don't have good enough foundational players to make a run to the WCF or Finals. Yet, Jazz media are talking about who we can put around Gobert and Mitchell.

I have to think that this is probably blowing smoke to protect our players' trade value while trade discussions are going on. The team is currently all out of whack.
The media isnt doing that much heavy lifting for the Jazz.

It's just reality most likely. The new owner doesnt want to tank. He doesnt want to seem uncool by trading away one of the leading scorers in the NBA. Ryan Smith is a ****ing dweeb and he's acting like one. I'm not surprised. And no one is going to give up the farm for Gobert. Anyone who wants Gobert wants him because they think he will be cheaper relative to his impact level than trading for other high level players.

The Jazz *can* make a WCF as constructed with tweaks IMO. It will be hard and they will have to peak at the exact right moment/be healthy/get other breaks, but it's not like it's impossible at all.

The media isnt doing that much heavy lifting for the Jazz.

It's just reality most likely. The new owner doesnt want to tank. He doesnt want to seem uncool by trading away one of the leading scorers in the NBA. Ryan Smith is a ****ing dweeb and he's acting like one. I'm not surprised. And no one is going to give up the farm for Gobert. Anyone who wants Gobert wants him because they think he will be cheaper relative to his impact level than trading for other high level players.

The Jazz *can* make a WCF as constructed with tweaks IMO. It will be hard and they will have to peak at the exact right moment/be healthy/get other breaks, but it's not like it's impossible at all.
The perception that Ryan got the team and ran it immediately into the ground would be too much for him to take.

The perception that Ryan got the team and ran it immediately into the ground would be too much for him to take.

Checkett's did an interview, and while he's wishy washy as a source I believe him on some things. He echoed the statement that Ryan will do anything to please Don, and that if it still fails Ryan wants to be able to say "we did all we could". That is....we did all we could to keep Don but not all we could to win. It's more important to Ryan that he comes off as cool than it is to win and Don is the popular kid that he so desperately wants to be friends with. It's a nasty combo because Mitchell himself prefers to look cool than win. I don't think anyone respected the immediacy of the situation and differed to their own personal motives.

People thought I was being a loony when I had concerns about Ryan Smith buying the team and possibly moving it, and maybe I was, but I never expected the Millers to sell and they did. If Ryan sold the team after it went sour I would not be surprised. Ryan moving the team never concerned me, it's the person/group who he'd sell it to. Like you said, I don't think Ryan has the stomach to be a loser. He won't be able to take the public shame like Vivek does and would probably rather sell.

Checkett's did an interview, and while he's wishy washy as a source I believe him on some things. He echoed the statement that Ryan will do anything to please Don, and that if it still fails Ryan wants to be able to say "we did all we could". That is....we did all we could to keep Don but not all we could to win. It's more important to Ryan that he comes off as cool than it is to win and Don is the popular kid that he so desperately wants to be friends with. It's a nasty combo because Mitchell himself prefers to look cool than win. I don't think anyone respected the immediacy of the situation and differed to their own personal motives.

People thought I was being a loony when I had concerns about Ryan Smith buying the team and possibly moving it, and maybe I was, but I never expected the Millers to sell and they did. If Ryan sold the team after it went sour I would not be surprised. Ryan moving the team never concerned me, it's the person/group who he'd sell it to. Like you said, I don't think Ryan has the stomach to be a loser. He won't be able to take the public shame like Vivek does and would probably rather sell.
I don't think he sells... he would become a loser and a quitter. If they team got moved he immediately becomes enemy #1 in Utah. Ryan would likely stick it out... just like he is sticking it out with the backwards hat and hoodie look... it will come back.

Its all fair criticism though. Donovan going for the cool highlight play this year a few times instead of just finishing was a pet peeve and a symptom of what ails us.

I'm hoping Danny can figure it out and talk some sense into him but good GMs aren't always just focused on winning... they are generally focused on executing the strategy the boss wants. If that is keeping Donovan then that is the lens he views moves from... if the boss wants to win then he makes winning move.