What's new

True Detective

The story isn't even complex or clever, it's just told in the worst possible way that makes it unclear and confusing.

It was awful. 3/10

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

Still hope there is a Season 3 though, would hate for it to go out the way Twin Peaks did on the back of failing popularity (canned after 2nd season).

There are wayy worse shows than TD Season 2.

We back. Mahershala Ali is a terrific actor. Strong start to season 3.
I agree about him being a good actor...... But how are you liking the show? How does it compare to season 1 and 2?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I agree about him being a good actor...... But how are you liking the show? How does it compare to season 1 and 2?

Well I already posted something, but it's WAY better than garbage season 2. Not, at this point, as good as season 1. But it has potential. I really don't expect it to be as good as season 1, honestly. There's an element which seems pretty central that I'm not into. But it is worth watching for sure.

Well I already posted something, but it's WAY better than garbage season 2. Not, at this point, as good as season 1. But it has potential. I really don't expect it to be as good as season 1, honestly. There's an element which seems pretty central that I'm not into. But it is worth watching for sure.
Sweet.
Nothing could be as good as season 1. I don't hold season 3, or any show to that standard. Season 1 was hall of fame material.

Glad to hear it is high quality television though. I look forward to watching it.

Sweet.
Nothing could be as good as season 1. I don't hold season 3, or any show to that standard. Season 1 was hall of fame material.

Glad to hear it is high quality television though. I look forward to watching it.

Part of the problem is that True Detective kind of changed television - not all alone, but it was so powerful and influential that so many other shows have started copying it to some extent, so the new season can't seem as revelatory.

BTW, I am on Team Binge.

Season One is a masterpiece for me. The direction, score, acting. Every little detail. It’s a 10.

Season Two is a 4. I tried to like it so much but God it was bad.

Season Three is a 7 for me. Maybe a 7.5. It’s waaaaaaaaay better than season 2 but still clearly falls short of season one and for me, it’s for two main reasons. One is the writing. Pizz is great at plagiarizing without plagiarizing. I’ll leave it at that without giving anything away. More importantly, after Ali (who may be the greatest living, working actor), the acting is just okay. That’s unlike season one in which every single character, major or minor, was absolutely amazing and spot on.

But I’m hooked enough that’ll I watch episode 3 tonight most likely. Or tomorrow at the latest.

Season One is a masterpiece for me. The direction, score, acting. Every little detail. It’s a 10.

Season Two is a 4. I tried to like it so much but God it was bad.

Season Three is a 7 for me. Maybe a 7.5. It’s waaaaaaaaay better than season 2 but still clearly falls short of season one and for me, it’s for two main reasons. One is the writing. Pizz is great at plagiarizing without plagiarizing. I’ll leave it at that without giving anything away. More importantly, after Ali (who may be the greatest living, working actor), the acting is just okay. That’s unlike season one in which every single character, major or minor, was absolutely amazing and spot on.

But I’m hooked enough that’ll I watch episode 3 tonight most likely. Or tomorrow at the latest.
I don't know if I'd say he's the greatest. There's a lot of people in the discussion for that. Oldman, Jeffrey Wright, Dinklage. Oldman and Wright are chameleons, they can play absolutely anybody. Dinklage is so great he conveys more information with a facial expression than good actors do with a 5 minute soliloquy.

But, yeah, Ali is phenomenal.

So far the biggest thing for me is Ali feels natural in his role same way McConaughey felt for Rust Cohle. Like you can believe that he is a real person and not just an actor playing a role. A lot of what was wrong with S2 was the actors were just not as believable.

Season 3 is leaps and bounds better than Season 2.

Season 1 is probably the most overrated thing ever. I think Season 3 could be better if it sticks the landing. I like the 3 different timeline aspect.

So far the biggest thing for me is Ali feels natural in his role same way McConaughey felt for Rust Cohle. Like you can believe that he is a real person and not just an actor playing a role. A lot of what was wrong with S2 was the actors were just not as believable.
Yep. Great way to put it.

I must be in the minority that liked season 2. Obviously season 1 was all time great, but season 2 was still better than a lot if shows out there

I don't know if I'd say he's the greatest. There's a lot of people in the discussion for that. Oldman, Jeffrey Wright, Dinklage. Oldman and Wright are chameleons, they can play absolutely anybody. Dinklage is so great he conveys more information with a facial expression than good actors do with a 5 minute soliloquy.

But, yeah, Ali is phenomenal.

I knew I’d get a response to that.

Dinklage is solid but he’s not in the same ballpark imo. And Wright is just okay. A very overrated good actor imo. He telegraphs too much. Shaft may be his best performance tbh. Oldman is fair. The guy’s got a sick resumé.

I must be in the minority that liked season 2. Obviously season 1 was all time great, but season 2 was still better than a lot if shows out there
It was super convoluted. Farrell and Vaughn were good though. Everything else was pretty much dumpster juice.

I knew I’d get a response to that.

Dinklage is solid but he’s not in the same ballpark imo. And Wright is just okay. A very overrated good actor imo. He telegraphs too much. Shaft may be his best performance tbh. Oldman is fair. The guy’s got a sick resumé.
Just to reassure myself, I had to go through and watch some Jeffrey Wright selections. I think you may have just not seen him in much, and there's some stuff in this short video that I didn't even know about (MLK????):

This doesn't even touch on a bunch of them, like his role in Shaft that you mentioned, which was supposed to just be a tiny little thing but he was so good they made him the main villain.