What's new

Trump and North Korea

JazzGal

Contributor
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...-nobel-peace-prize/ar-AAx0Vdm?ocid=spartanntp

President Trump said Thursday that "everyone thinks" he deserves the Nobel Peace Prize, after weeks of suggestions that he should be honored for his diplomatic efforts on the Korean Peninsula.

"Everyone thinks so, but I would never say it," Trump said when asked by a reporter in the White House if he thinks he should win the prestigious award.

I'll admit that it is difficult for me to give Trump credit for much of anything, so I may easily be misjudging this, but what exactly did Trump do to deserve the credit for the softened stance of North Korea? I haven't researched this, but all I remember is the Rocket Man slams and threats. In my opinion, the events surrounding the Olympics had much more to do with North Korea feeling more accepted on a world stage than anything Trump has done.

Where am I wrong?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...-nobel-peace-prize/ar-AAx0Vdm?ocid=spartanntp

I'll admit that it is difficult for me to give Trump credit for much of anything, so I may easily be misjudging this, but what exactly did Trump do to deserve the credit for the softened stance of North Korea? I haven't researched this, but all I remember is the Rocket Man slams and threats. In my opinion, the events surrounding the Olympics had much more to do with North Korea feeling more accepted on a world stage than anything Trump has done.

Where am I wrong?

My opinion for a long time has been that Kim has decided he could work in trust with a true outsider. Washington has been plagued by both parties and their dogmas for a long time and Trump is disrupting everything. Like his stances or not, he is clearly going against the grain of the old guard and Kim has #takennote. Softening his stance wouldn't have happened with an establishment president who acts Republican or Democrat but often acts the opposite once in office. Trump doesn't play that game. He said things during his campaign and for once we have a president keeping his promises. Again, like his stances or not, but he is delivering on his platform; something no president has been willing to accomplish for a long time. Obama had absolute power and basically did Jack squat. I.E. He had the opportunity to fix healthcare but introduced a status quo bill instead. Why?

I think Kim trusts him, and he must not be overly worried about a military coup if he initiates progress, like the Chi-com's are doing.

Lol

The more you know.
According to Schwartz in July 2016, Trump wrote none of the book, choosing only to remove a few critical mentions of business colleagues at the end of the process.[4] Trump responded with conflicting stories, saying "I had a lot of choice of who to have write the book, and I chose [Schwartz]", but then said "[Schwartz] didn't write the book. I wrote the book."[4]Former Random House head Howard Kaminsky, the book's original publisher, said "Trump didn’t write a postcard for us!"[4] The book was published in November 1987 by Random House, with the authorship given as "Donald Trump with Tony Schwartz".

Schwartz was the subject of a July 2016 article in The New Yorker in which Schwartz describes Donald Trump unfavorably and relates how he came to regret writing The Art of the Deal.[4] He also stated that if it were to be written today it would be very different and titled The Sociopath.[4] Schwartz repeated his self-criticism on Good Morning America, saying he had "put lipstick on a pig".[11] In response to these claims, Trump's attorneys have demanded that Schwartz cede all his royalties from the book to Trump.[12][13]

Trump deserves the nobel peace prize for his work with Korea. Just ask him.

I'll admit that it is difficult for me to give Trump credit for much of anything, so I may easily be misjudging this, but what exactly did Trump do to deserve the credit for the softened stance of North Korea?

North Korea makes overtures to the West every 20 years or so. It's a great way to get in some extra foreign aid while you focus on your military.

Hats off to the Trump administration for getting the 3 prisoners released from North Korea.

Hats off to the Trump administration for getting the 3 prisoners released from North Korea.
Yes. But why did he have to lie and say that Obama had been trying to get them released for years? 2 of them weren't even imprisoned until Trump was president.

Yes. But why did he have to lie and say that Obama had been trying to get them released for years? 2 of them weren't even imprisoned until Trump was president.
I think the answer is because Trump is a liar. If he has one defining characteristic, it is that he lies.

Something like 13 Republican senators have nominated him.
Somebody also nominated Kanye West.

Nobel Peace Prize nominations mean absolutely nothing. It's not like being nominated for an Oscar. There's no requirement for a nomination, and the committee never says who was nominated - or, I believe, pays attention to it.

Somebody also nominated Kanye West.

Nobel Peace Prize nominations mean absolutely nothing. It's not like being nominated for an Oscar. There's no requirement for a nomination, and the committee never says who was nominated - or, I believe, pays attention to it.

It wasn’t one person nominating him. It was double digits. And those people were fellow politicians, those meant to serve us, the people. It’s a ****ing joke.

What exactly has trump changed? North Korea was going to shut down that site due to the mountain collapsing. If anything, their willingness to shut down testing might be the result of their confidence that their nuclear warheads are already capable enough to wreck enough destruction to dissuade the United States from ever invading.

I just don’t understand why people are acting like this hasn’t happened before. Do we really have such short memories? NK has released hostages before. NK has offered to meet with us before.

If anything, this sets NK up quite nicely. They get the propaganda and recognition they’ve wanted for decades and forces trump to concede way too much or risk coming back to the USA with his tail between his legs.

Seriously, NK has all the leverage here. The cynical side of me says that NK knows they’re dealing with a fool and will concede very little while trump will come home bragging about how awesome of he is. And it won’t matter how bad of a deal it is because Fox News and am radio will continue to provide trump with a shield of unbreakable propaganda.

No matter what trump does, his media sources and followers will worship.

What exactly has trump changed? North Korea was going to shut down that site due to the mountain collapsing. If anything, their willingness to shut down testing might be the result of their confidence that their nuclear warheads are already capable enough to wreck enough destruction to dissuade the United States from ever invading.

I just don’t understand why people are acting like this hasn’t happened before. Do we really have such short memories? NK has released hostages before. NK has offered to meet with us before.

If anything, this sets NK up quite nicely. They get the propaganda and recognition they’ve wanted for decades and forces trump to concede way too much or risk coming back to the USA with his tail between his legs.

Seriously, NK has all the leverage here. The cynical side of me says that NK knows they’re dealing with a fool and will concede very little while trump will come home bragging about how awesome of he is. And it won’t matter how bad of a deal it is because Fox News and am radio will continue to provide trump with a shield of unbreakable propaganda.

I'm happy anytime the world becomes more open and united. I was happy when Obama opened things up with Cuba, not because I think the Cuban government deserves a "win," but because the people of Cuba deserved a win. Same for North Korea. I don't care if Kim Jong-un claims a victory over Trump and the U.S. government. I care that the people in that country, who have not done a single thing to deserve their situation, will be better off if that country opens up.

I think Trump as a wild card has taken a few nations out of their rhythm, out of their stride and off script. It was actually the one thing I was hopeful for when he was elected and in a few instances it has happened.

The U.S. has been playing a little too tight. Other countries are reading us and maneuvering perfectly to counter us. If not today 5, 10 or 20 years from now. In a way, Trump is flipping over the table and making them decide right now what they are going to do. They weren't ready for that.

I would have preferred a more intentional way of accomplishing the same thing, but in a way, this will do.

The detente with South Korea is a much bigger deal, frankly.

If Obama or Clinton or any Dem had accomplished these exact same things you would be raving about how wonderful they were. It's so predictable that you think they are meaningless simply because a Republican is invloved.