What's new

Trump and North Korea

If Obama or Clinton or any Dem had accomplished these exact same things you would be raving about how wonderful they were. It's so predictable that you think they are meaningless simply because a Republican is invloved.

Clinton's term did see a cooling down of relations with NK in 2000. It didn't mean anything then, and it doesn't now.

Clinton's term did see a cooling down of relations with NK in 2000. It didn't mean anything then, and it doesn't now.

This is, of course, utter nonsense. Ideological blinders and a mind fully committed to conceit. Pretty typical of the political dreamer class today.

You should not try so hard to impose reason and the whole schema of "progress" on boys in the schoolyard sandbox. The NK "dynasty" family is really not so different from Hitler, Pol Pot, or Mao, or David Rockefeller and Prince Charles, for all that matters. Totalitarians always wanna have their own way. And that is what your own delusion amounts to.

However, if you would poke around just a little, you would see something in this NK/SK/America/China/Japan/Russia interaction that does amount to a real sea-change in the political structure of Asia. The whole idea of totalitarian control is sorta coming loose, and the relevant leaders are thinking of something else.... how to make life better for everyone. Sometimes, even the most "deplorable" folks will see a reason to mend their ways.

The old Brit strategy of divide and conquer has come undone. Nobody is listening to the CFR intelligentsia morons today, the British Foreign Office is in panic.

Trump, and the other leaders relevant to the region, just really want to end "the way things are". And they are doing it. The boys in this sandbox stopped listening to "teacher" and are enjoying having a good time.

and, oh, Un's little nuclear project had an accident. I don't know if it was a real accident, or if someone on his team managed to sabotage it from inside, or if some American "Seals" got in there with some tanks of tritium, but the last blast yielded about ten times the expected power and the damage to the nearby underground tunnels (reinforced concrete and such)was serious. It all crumbled. In says they are going to close it up with a demolition explosion, but the job is really already done..... It's just too much to rebuild, and we're gonna help create a prosperity nucleus in Northeast Asia now.

And that certainly isn't anything like the Clinton years, bro.

I love how babe thinks Trump has some master plan that he's executing to perfection.

Trump just wants to undo everything Obama did. That's pretty much the entire point of his presidency.

What exactly has trump changed? North Korea was going to shut down that site due to the mountain collapsing. If anything, their willingness to shut down testing might be the result of their confidence that their nuclear warheads are already capable enough to wreck enough destruction to dissuade the United States from ever invading.

I just don’t understand why people are acting like this hasn’t happened before. Do we really have such short memories? NK has released hostages before. NK has offered to meet with us before.

If anything, this sets NK up quite nicely. They get the propaganda and recognition they’ve wanted for decades and forces trump to concede way too much or risk coming back to the USA with his tail between his legs.

Seriously, NK has all the leverage here. The cynical side of me says that NK knows they’re dealing with a fool and will concede very little while trump will come home bragging about how awesome of he is. And it won’t matter how bad of a deal it is because Fox News and am radio will continue to provide trump with a shield of unbreakable propaganda.

No matter what trump does, his media sources and followers will worship.

I imagine had this happened under the prior administration, that your reaction would be significantly different.

Again, like his stances or not, but he is delivering on his platform; something no president has been willing to accomplish for a long time.
Even his staunchest allies rail against POTUS45 for caving into conventional politics: border Mexico-funded coast to coast wall built? waffling on immigration, $1B infrastructure spend, ban all Muslims from entering US, tariffs with mostly exceptions, "take the guns first, process second" NATO is obsolete, now not obsolete, not having time to play golf, "must get Congressional approval before attacking Syria-big mistake if he does not!" Everything from the significant to the symbolic to the trivial.

There are a few areas where he has not waffled: cutting taxes to the rich, gutting regulation and regulatory enforcement, embassy to Jerusalem. But these accomplishments seem small in comparison to Reagan-era sea changes, or even Obamacare.

Even his staunchest allies rail against POTUS45 for caving into conventional politics: border Mexico-funded coast to coast wall built? waffling on immigration, $1B infrastructure spend, ban all Muslims from entering US, tariffs with mostly exceptions, "take the guns first, process second" NATO is obsolete, now not obsolete, not having time to play golf, "must get Congressional approval before attacking Syria-big mistake if he does not!" Everything from the significant to the symbolic to the trivial.

There are a few areas where he has not waffled: cutting taxes to the rich, gutting regulation and regulatory enforcement, embassy to Jerusalem. But these accomplishments seem small in comparison to Reagan-era sea changes, or even Obamacare.

I don't necessarily disagree with you outright, all valid points. But i think Trump is a realist and have to blame Congress for his shortcomings you listed [both the good ideas and stupid (boarder/immigration)]. I.E. Ryan is blocking his .25/gallon tax increase. That's the most logical and obvious tax increase there is. I've favored a phased in $1.00 increase for about 10 years.

Also, his proposal is a 1.5 trillion spending bill, not 1 billion.

C
I love how babe thinks Trump has some master plan that he's executing to perfection.

Trump just wants to undo everything Obama did. That's pretty much the entire point of his presidency.

nah. You keep seeing bogeymen under your bed.

No conspiracy here, bro. Trump just wants to make a deal. The "Master Plan" is a little something for everyone, win-win style. He doesn't even wanna let Sessions indict Hillary for all her crimes, even when the swampthings and their media won't let him play in their sandbox.

Undoing everything Obama or your Lord Cecil Rhodes intellectual acolytes have done just happens to be the common sense deal everyone wants.

Be big about it, and people might give you a chance to play someday.

C

nah. You keep seeing bogeymen under your bed.

No conspiracy here, bro. Trump just wants to make a deal. The "Master Plan" is a little something for everyone, win-win style. He doesn't even wanna let Sessions indict Hillary for all her crimes, even when the swampthings and their media won't let him play in their sandbox.

Undoing everything Obama or your Lord Cecil Rhodes intellectual acolytes have done just happens to be the common sense deal everyone wants.

Be big about it, and people might give you a chance to play someday.
Another, "what conversation does this post belong to?" Post by babe.

Another, "what conversation does this post belong to?" Post by babe.

Another Saul Alinsky "attack" distraction.....

In law school some report the highest legal counsel you can buy is this.... "If the law is on your side, argue the law. If the facts are on your side, argue the facts. If neither the law nor the facts are on your side, attack your opponent." If you want a cheap lawyer, hire someone who doesn't know the law or the facts, and has no greater love in life than hate.

Democrats are all cheap lawyers.

You could almost make the case that maybe Trump is another Un or Hitler. Someone who is focused entirely on power and has no morals. Almost.

Trump is an American with the most fundamental element of American politics on his side. He can read the lips of the folks in his base camp, or in front of him at a rally. He doesn't even need to ask what people want. He just gets out in front and tells them how great they are.

In some sense, I understand the dread some folks have about a President like that.

The only thing that could be worse is a President who doesn't care what the people want, who thinks he knows what is best and feels morally charged to impose it on them.

You know, an Obama or a Hillary.

Who could have seen this coming?

I think NK is banking on Trump being desperate to make any kind of a deal, that they believe they can take denuclearization off the table and still walk away with something. I don't know if Trump's ego will allow him to walk away from a deal that does not involve NK giving up its nukes.

I'm happy anytime the world becomes more open and united. I was happy when Obama opened things up with Cuba, not because I think the Cuban government deserves a "win," but because the people of Cuba deserved a win. Same for North Korea. I don't care if Kim Jong-un claims a victory over Trump and the U.S. government. I care that the people in that country, who have not done a single thing to deserve their situation, will be better off if that country opens up.

I think Trump as a wild card has taken a few nations out of their rhythm, out of their stride and off script. It was actually the one thing I was hopeful for when he was elected and in a few instances it has happened.

The U.S. has been playing a little too tight. Other countries are reading us and maneuvering perfectly to counter us. If not today 5, 10 or 20 years from now. In a way, Trump is flipping over the table and making them decide right now what they are going to do. They weren't ready for that.

I would have preferred a more intentional way of accomplishing the same thing, but in a way, this will do.

But what has he accomplished? What change has he actually proposed? Typically, change is more than just angry tweets and moving an embassy. What direction are we headed in?

It’s hilarious now to watch him try and spin his way out of this latest debacle. His victory lap over North Korea was premature, predicted by everyone not in his bubble. It’s almost like Korea is a complicated situation whose solution has eluded decades of the top American minds.

People keep talking about “change” but that doesn’t mean anything good. I liked america being predictive and consistent. It gave us direction and clarity with our allies.

The only “change” I’ve seen from trump has been treating serious issues as mere jokes. From collusion with Russia, to cyber security, to Jerusalem, and to nuclear war. This is alienating allies and empowering our enemies, making the world less safe.

You can’t just base every decision on how to spite obama and troll 65 percent of the country and all of our allies. What direction is trump steering us in? Change needs to involve plans and substantive solutions to problems.

Not tweets and patting yourself on a job well done.

The problem is, trump is too arrogant to recognize his ignorance nor is he hard working enough to learn anything about a particular subject.

Last edited:
Are we safer now that he scrapped the Iranian deal? what realistic alt do they have now?

Has the Palestinian/Israeli issue been settled peacefully? How many are imprisoned in Gaza? How many were recently killed by Israel?

How about North Korea?

Donald has accomplished absolutely zero. North Korea has had meeting before. They’ve released prisoners before. Other than push the Korean Peninsula closer into china’s orbit, what has he accomplished? And is giving China more power really good for America?

Last edited:
agenda-push talking points on the left just keep sounding more and more detached from fact, defying most people's definitions of "impossible".

So here is the basic reality of the New World Order, or if you will, the Utopia globalization is bringing to the world:

A little absolute totalitarian Un can just taunt everyone because, really, he owes his country's existence to geopolitical strategery or political engineering that requires a little powder keg situated in between some big boys.

A big absolute totalitarian with a clever smile, or smirk if you have any idea what it means, is imposing suitable rhetoric on every other country, defying conventional notions of his country's boundaries to include Tibet and Taiwan and the little pile of rocks dumped on the shallows of the South China Sea.... well, the Vietnamese Sea perhaps......

An actually clever absolute totalitarian with a fur cap on his bald head is pretending that religion, Orthodox Christianity to be specific, is a wonderful dressing on Marxism.... while sneering at the missile arms race and hinting to Un that the real toys are the robots.....AI.....

A bunch of hothead Americans can't get over an actual election result and just put America first because the global masterplan demands American leveling to the same conditions existing in absolute totalitarian rule elsewhere, under their own thumbs.

Good job, Lefties. That's "Progress".

Absolutely out of the left field. North Korean leaders have tended to be as good as their word the last half a century.

And there goes the Nobel Peace Prize.

But hey, football players are being forced to stand for the national anthem, so #winning.

And there goes the Nobel Peace Prize.

But hey, football players are being forced to stand for the national anthem, so #winning.
Whew, I'm so happy forced symbolic gestures of patriotism are back!