What's new

Utah Trade Deadline Discussion

The buyers and sellers are still searching for a price. Sometimes they just don't find it. Then again, the first trade could start a rush.

Sacramento making Skal Labiserre and Malachi Richardson available....which makes no sense with their current "Play the young guys" motto.

Also making no sense....Jazz reported to be interested in the Knicks Willy Hernangomez

Ok, here's my deadline make-over:

Favors and Hood for JR Smith and the Brooklyn pick.

Burks and Rubio for Beverley and Gallo.

JJ and our protected first rounder for Mirotic.

If the report is true and we are trying to "maximize Gobert's prime", I don't think the Brooklyn pick is the focus any more. And I've been a guy, as you all know, who has been gunning for that pick for weeks. We might be able to focus on the Brooklyn pick but it would seem that JR Smith would hurt the chances to build for the now.

Semi-attainable guys who fit the "maximizing Gobert's prime" mold are probably:
Love
John Wall (rumors are flying around today that he might be available)
Kawhi
Kemba
Mirotic
Fournier
Bazemore
Maybe a guys like
Wes Matthews
Gallinari
Millsap
Ryan Anderson
Jabari Parker
Courtney Lee

Sacramento making Skal Labiserre and Malachi Richardson available....which makes no sense with their current "Play the young guys" motto.

Also making no sense....Jazz reported to be interested in the Knicks Willy Hernangomez

Underwhelming.

Hernangomez would be a nice cheap depth pickup with upside. He's signed for 3 more seasons at under 2 mil per season. That would be a very good move, imo. I am a big Skal fan as well. He has a ton of talent, and could definitely be a stretch 4 if he develops. I'm not sure I would pick up both, although Hernangomez is about as cheap as a contract can get.

Looks like the Jazz are very active and actually in a ton of rumors this time around. Should be an interesting trade deadline. I even saw that Rubio is rumored to be on the block.

Hernangomez would be a nice cheap depth pickup with upside. He's signed for 3 more seasons at under 2 mil per season. That would be a very good move, imo. I am a big Skal fan as well. He has a ton of talent, and could definitely be a stretch 4 if he develops. I'm not sure I would pick up both, although Hernangomez is about as cheap as a contract can get.

Looks like the Jazz are very active and actually in a ton of rumors this time around. Should be an interesting trade deadline. I even saw that Rubio is rumored to be on the block.
He'd be a decent pickup for the exception but I'd be more curious of what we'd give up for him (why would NY move him?) and who from our roster drops to obtain him.

He'd be a decent pickup for the exception but I'd be more curious of what we'd give up for him (why would NY move him?) and who from our roster drops to obtain him.

I guess he isn't playing at all there. I don't know what they would want, but if it was for a second round pick or an expiring contract I'd consider it. I'm not sure if they can pick him up for the exception. The info I've seen says it can only be used on a player with one year on their deal. He does become an UFA after his contract since he was a second rounder (I think that's why) which makes it a little bit less appealing.

Hornacek doesn't like him, barely plays him, perhaps because he was not happy with him during training camp. Maybe the Jazz want him because they plan on drafting Doncic! Though if the Knicks trade WH Porziņģis is likely going to be pisssssssed.

The Jazz arent interested in Hernangomez. That's some #fakenews.
1ikfqd.jpg

Rubio is part of the core until the offseason. He is the stealth tank commander.

Personally I would trade Rubio if he has a decent market out there. Taking emotion out of it he just doesn't fit this system and while it's possible that he can improve I doubt strongly that the'll ever be a good fit with Rudy. I'd trade him, Start Neto at PG and give him a real audition for a month while easing Dante back in as a backup until he's fully ready. Then let Dante loose at the end of the season so you have some better info on him as well. It's a brutal move for Ricky, but DL has to make some tough decisions. Getting a good look at Exum/Neto will also give you more clarity when moving in to FA and the draft.

Hornacek doesn't like him, barely plays him, perhaps because he was not happy with him during training camp. Maybe the Jazz want him because they plan on drafting Doncic! Though if the Knicks trade WH Porziņģis is likely going to be pisssssssed.

Willy has not been shy about wanting playing time or requesting a trade. And the New York sports media has not been shy to report it. He or O'Quinn could get moved. Rumour was the GSW are interested in O'quinn.

I'd like the jazz to make bigger moves than mirotic and fournier. Go get one of those guys that are rumored to be unhappy with their team like kawhi, Otto Porter, etc.

Jazz need a real third guy. Fournier would be nice, but as an addition to someone special.
lol. Otto Porter isn't better than Fournier.

Personally I would trade Rubio if he has a decent market out there. Taking emotion out of it he just doesn't fit this system and while it's possible that he can improve I doubt strongly that the'll ever be a good fit with Rudy. I'd trade him, Start Neto at PG and give him a real audition for a month while easing Dante back in as a backup until he's fully ready. Then Let Dante loose at the end of the season so you have some better info on him as well. It's a brutal move for Ricky, but DL has to make some tough decisions. Getting a good look at Exum/Neto will also give you more info when moving in to FA and the draft.

If Sacramento trades Hill they will need a tank commander pg. Rubio still has a recognizable name they could market a little.

#source? Although if they really believe in Bradley as a backup 5 in the near future he would definitely seem redundant.
I'm assuming it's one of those things were Utah asked about Willy at some point in the past and now his agent just throws the Jazz name in to act like there is more interest than there is. The Jazz wanting Willy while having Udoh and Bradley makes 0 sense unless we are talking about trading Udoh to them as part of some package that gets future assets back and we just take Willy on for matching purposes.

lol. Otto Porter isn't better than Fournier.
When considering their contracts I think Fournier is safer. But Porter can do a lot more than he is allowed to do with those other guys taking all the possessions in Washington. He's also a really good defender, and younger. Otto on his max-ish contract is kind of a big risk. That's basically your core for the duration of Rudy's Prime at that point.

I like ole Willy and his game, but I don't see the point in dealing for him especially with Bradley, Udoh and Gobert here.