What's new

Utah Trade Deadline Discussion

I'm assuming it's one of those things were Utah asked about Willy at some point in the past and now his agent just throws the Jazz name in to act like there is more interest than there is. The Jazz wanting Willy while having Udoh and Bradley makes 0 sense unless we are talking about trading Udoh to them as part of some package that gets future assets back and we just take Willy on for matching purposes.
I've thought about that too. I love Udoh, but he is probably really valuable as an asset if the Jazz want some picks, and he will likely be hard to keep after next season. Now might be the time to get something for him.

To me, Fournier and Porter come down to value. If they made the same, I would probably lean Porter. However, Porter makes an average of $27 the next 3 years whereas Fournier makes $17. It's conceivable that you could pay Exum AND Fournier around the same amount as just Porter.

I think Fournier has a little more polish and actually looks a bit more like Hayward in terms of style (lots of mid-range Js off screens), but I think Porter could have a much higher ceiling and could score a lot more. He's a lights out three point shooter and a good defender, if I understand correctly. He's just paid a lot more, which would give me some pause, but I'd be curious what his ceiling with us would be because I imagine he plays a bigger role than third wheel with two chuckers.

I think the Wizards are a team I would like the Jazz to trade with. They want to win know, they have salary issues, and they have turmoil in the locker room.

I am not sure these guys are on the market but I would love Beal or Wall.

These guys seem attainable and for the right price I would be very happy to sign Oubre or Otto in that order. I would prefer Oubre, he has more upside and I think is a better defender already. He is also on a rookie deal for another year and a RFA after that. I would hope he wouldnt get maxed like Otto did. But I would also be happy with Porter and the Jazz obviously liked him this last off season. The price would have to be right for him to make room for his contract.

The thing about Porter is that he isn't that big of a risk if you consider his contract is up in 3 years (aka the same amount of years that Donovan and Rudy have left on their current contracts). So he wouldn't interfere with keeping them long-term. You bite the bullet and overpay for Porter now to compete (Porter would be great in Utah's system and is an All-Star according to advanced stats like RPM). I think the Jazz could still make a significant signing in 2019, even with Porter's contract, if they don't make any long-term deals in 2018.
Your core is:
Mitchell
2018 Lotto Pick/Exum
Ingles
Porter
Gobert

w/ role players for next year being Rubio/O'Neale/Udoh/Thabo/Bradley. Jazz would probably waive Jonas. Then probably use the MLE to pickup another wing.

Last edited:
I've thought about that too. I love Udoh, but he is probably really valuable as an asset if the Jazz want some picks, and he will likely be hard to keep after next season. Now might be the time to get something for him.

I think a contender would love Udoh. Cleveland or GS could really use him. If we could get an asset for him I would be happy to move him and see what we have with Bradley the rest of this year. It is easy to pick up another cheap backup Center if we are not comfortable with Bradley for next season.

I think the Wizards are a team I would like the Jazz to trade with. They want to win know, they have salary issues, and they have turmoil in the locker room.

I am not sure these guys are on the market but I would love Beal or Wall.

These guys seem attainable and for the right price I would be very happy to sign Oubre or Otto in that order. I would prefer Oubre, he has more upside and I think is a better defender already. He is also on a rookie deal for another year and a RFA after that. I would hope he wouldnt get maxed like Otto did. But I would also be happy with Porter and the Jazz obviously liked him this last off season. The price would have to be right for him to make room for his contract.
The thing about he Wizards and Jazz is that it doesnt make that much sense on the Wizards end unless no one else wants Porter at all.

Wizards are probably more interested in cost controlled assets (guys on long-term fair deals or rookie deals that arent up at the end of the season). Further, Hood doesnt really make much sense on Washington, at least past this year when he will be making north of 12 million a year. Hood is redundant to Beal and not a true SF, so he would just be the 3rd guard in the rotation as a 6th man.

Favors would be great for them this year, but are they really going to pay him when they are still on the books w/ Gortat and Mahini?

Willy is interesting and there are a lot of young interesting bigs out there but unless we are trading Bradley we don’t really have a spot for a developmental big.

I’ve thought NY might be a Rubio trade destination but we would not be able to get off of all of his contract. Would likely have to take lance Thomas or Ron Baker.

Are you joking?

Otto is 10x the player Fournier is.
You are ****ing high.

Porter is probably all-around better, but he is not on another tier and he certainly doesn't belong in the same conversation as Kawhi Leonard. He is a tertiary option that feasts on shots created for him by two other players. Very nice rebounder, defender, and shooter, no doubt.

I think a contender would love Udoh. Cleveland or GS could really use him. If we could get an asset for him I would be happy to move him and see what we have with Bradley the rest of this year. It is easy to pick up another cheap backup Center if we are not comfortable with Bradley for next season.

Udoh with Cleveland makes a ton of sense.

IIRC, didn't Lindsey meet with Porter's agent while he was awaiting Hayward's decision? Wouldn't have mattered since Washington matched his offer. I guess they have buyers remorse?
Pricey, but Jazz have the expirings to match. Why is Washington willing to let him go?

You are ****ing high.

Porter is probably all-around better, but he is not on another tier and he certainly doesn't belong in the same conversation as Kawhi Leonard. He is a tertiary option that feasts on shots created for him by two other players. Very nice rebounder, defender, and shooter, no doubt.
He is several tiers above Fournier.

IIRC, didn't Lindsey meet with Porter's agent while he was awaiting Hayward's decision? Wouldn't have mattered since Washington matched his offer. I guess they have buyers remorse?
Pricey, but Jazz have the expirings to match. Why is Washington willing to let him go?
I don't think they have buyer's remorse, the rumor is that Porter just doesnt get along with the main group of the Wizards (Beal/Oubre/Keef/Wall). I wouldn't either if I were Porter. He is under utilized in Washington's system, which is why everyone thinks he is the one talking behind Wall's back about the ball movement.

The thing about he Wizards and Jazz is that it doesnt make that much sense on the Wizards end unless no one else wants Porter at all.

Wizards are probably more interested in cost controlled assets (guys on long-term fair deals or rookie deals that arent up at the end of the season). Further, Hood doesnt really make much sense on Washington, at least past this year when he will be making north of 12 million a year. Hood is redundant to Beal and not a true SF, so he would just be the 3rd guard in the rotation as a 6th man.

Favors would be great for them this year, but are they really going to pay him when they are still on the books w/ Gortat and Mahini?

We would have to take one of those contracts back. The only type of deal I could see is sending them Rubio, Burks and Favors for Porter and one of the centers. Gortat would not be bad for us to take on, Mahini's deal gets a little ugly. But that and other reasons I would strongly prefer to get Oubre. I would take on Mahini to get Oubre. Send them Rubio for Mahini and Oubre, no picks involved.

Wow, lots of talk right now. Here is what I think:

- Rubio to NY would be fantastic. The only way it works for us is if we clear out some roster spots first.

- Porter is very intriguing. If we could find a way to take back $6 million more in contracts than we send out, Washington avoids the dreaded luxury tax. I'm not saying we take Mahinmi, but they are going to want to try to make us.