What's new

Vacation Locations

I’m pretty much with fish on this. I really want to go to Europe (Italy, Spain, Germany, France, etc.)...I love history and culture and all but right now, at this point in my life, when i take a vacation I just want to get away to consistent 82 degree, sunny, low humidity weather with beautiful blue oceans and white beaches. I just wanna chill, go on a Kat or charter a boat maybe too, and drink, yes drink a lot (not sloppy doe) and think of nothing else in the world. But basically Island life...which is very chill.

Check out this place if you're looking for a great California location on the beach. We've been there a couple of times and just got back. It's great for surfing/boogie boarding and there's a busy beach vibe that is a blast:

https://southerncalifbeachclub.com/

I also love Europe. Go about once a year and used to work over there. Been just about everywhere but haven't been to Portugal or Croatia which both look cool. Love the Alps, driving in sporty cars(best roads), Italy, Switzerland, Austria. Germany, especially the Eifel region is great too.

I just want beaches.

I just wanna chill, go on a Kat or charter a boat maybe too, and drink, yes drink a lot (not sloppy doe) and think of nothing else in the world. But basically Island life...which is very chill.

Oh yeah, you guys would love Block Island, RI, in the summer. No where near the crowds that flock to Martha's Vineyard. Been called "the Bermuda of the North", and more then half the island is protected land. Some developed beaches, lots of undeveloped beaches...

For me the best vacation place is always quiet cabin by good fishing lake. Nothing beats sunrise on the lake when nature is waking up and you are alone in the boat fishing.
Well, maybe only some Croatian nude beaches...

For me the best vacation place is always quiet cabin by good fishing lake. Nothing beats sunrise on the lake when nature is waking up and you are alone in the boat fishing.
Well, maybe only some Croatian nude beaches...
This would be a close second for me (beaches being first)
I go camping so much though that I get that kind of experience all the time. I have been on 5 camping trips this year already. I always go on Monday through Thursday so I get away from any possible crowds. Never ever on a weekend.

Lake Tahoe is pretty awesome cause you get the beautiful mountains, forests and camping kind of experience and also the beach experience.

One of my favorite places.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

And I love road trips.

Did a 3500 mile one through the Northwest a few years ago and did no highways, just two lane roads. Utah-Nevada-Cali-Oregon-Washington-Montana-Idaho-Utah.

Also did two 3500 mile road trips in Europe with my kids the last two years... yep, I've driven 10's of thousands of miles in Europe and it never ever gets old.

Oh yeah, you guys would love Block Island, RI, in the summer. No where near the crowds that flock to Martha's Vineyard. Been called "the Bermuda of the North", and more then half the island is protected land. Some developed beaches, lots of undeveloped beaches...

Looks super nice but too American for me.

I love St. Thomas. Been there twice. It’s not crazy commercialized like Aruba which is the other Caribbean place we’ve been.The Marriott is on the beach. Sleep in. Walk out 30 seconds to this low key outdooor restaurant/bar on the beach and eat an amazing breakfast. Get dressed for the day and do a snorkeling/Kat/boat thing or go somewhere else on the island...come back around 1-2. Start (or continue if you’ve been on a Kat) drinking, lay out some, drink more...all under the thatch at that restaurant and beach right there. Do that for four hours. Shower up. Then dinner. They have a great restaurant about 25 minutes from the hotel. Old Homestead or something. I forget. They bring you into the kitchen and you select the cut of meat you want. Good ****. I really want to go back but the kids are a little young right now. Oh yeah, they have a golf course that looks nuts too. St Thomas is hilly and en route to that restaurant you can see the golf course and on the one hole the fairway looks like it’s on the side of a mountain, on a 30 degree angle or something. I gotta play that.

And I love road trips.

Did a 3500 mile one through the Northwest a few years ago and did no highways, just two lane roads. Utah-Nevada-Cali-Oregon-Washington-Montana-Idaho-Utah.

Also did two 3500 mile road trips in Europe with my kids the last two years... yep, I've driven 10's of thousands of miles in Europe and it never ever gets old.

This is something I want to do with the kids for 3-5 weeks one summer when they’re between 7-12 I think. Maybe older though as I don’t know how much they’d appreciate it.

One of my big bucket list trips is ripping a motorcycle throughout the Alps and its surroundings.

I appreciate you guys mentioning some of your lesser known/secret spots.

I'm going to be planning a vacation soon and I'm pretty poor (wife doesn't work and I don't make much) so cost is always a determining factor for what type of vacation I do. I have been planning to do a cruise since they are pretty good bang for your buck and I love cruises (I have been on 6 cruises) but I'm gonna look into some of the places in this thread first.

I usually get about $2000 back for my tax return and about a $1500 bonus around the same time I get my tax returns so that's basically my vacation budget for next year.

Flights for 3 people I figure will take up about half of that money which doesn't leave much for hotel, food, rental car, entertainment, etc. That's why I like cruises. Food, entertainment, transportation, hotel are basically all included for about 500-700 bucks. You can visit like 4 different countries for 500-700 dollars and all your food, hotel, and entertainment is free.

This is something I want to do with the kids for 3-5 weeks one summer when they’re between 7-12 I think. Maybe older though as I don’t know how much they’d appreciate it.

Do it for sure. I make no reservations and try to stay in hotels for about $100/night. Get a diesel car... pack a cooler. Use sky miles for flights. It ends up not being too expensive and it's so much fun to have no hard plans and take it as it comes. Never a problem finding lodging.

Renting a boat in the Abacos, Bahamas is a pretty stellar beachy trip, too.
I'm leaning Bahamas for my next vacation. Probably do a 7 day Bahamas cruise leaving out of Baltimore of all places lol. I found the flights to Baltimore to be a bit cheaper than the flights to the other cruise ports that go to Bahamas.

Last edited:
I appreciate you guys mentioning some of your lesser known/secret spots.

I'm going to be planning a vacation soon and I'm pretty poor (wife doesn't work and I don't make much) so cost is always a determining factor for what type of vacation I do. I have been planning to do a cruise since they are pretty good bang for your buck and I love cruises (I have been on 6 cruises) but I'm gonna look into some of the places in this thread first.

I usually get about $2000 back for my tax return and about a $1500 bonus around the same time I get my tax returns so that's basically my vacation budget for next year.

Flights for 3 people I figure will take up about half of that money which doesn't leave much for hotel, food, rental car, entertainment, etc. That's why I like cruises. Food, entertainment, transportation, hotel are basically all included for about 500-700 bucks. You can visit like 4 different countries for 500-700 dollars and all your food, hotel, and entertainment is free.

Flights are a crusher for a family of four. I plan my vacations around either cheap flights, sky mile flights or just driving which is always a great way to go with a family if you have time. But anywhere on the West coast is only a days drive so love those trips.

And I love road trips.

I would love to this. I love just driving around. My wife doesn't though and both my wife and kid get carsick and my kid being only 3 doesn't enjoy just driving around. Sucks for me.

I would love to buy a motorhome, sell all my crap (so many possession I have I don't need or even want, but again, the wife...) Rent out my house, and use the money I would make from renting my house to survive on and just travel all over the place.

I'm pretty sure that if I weren't married with children then I would be doing that.

Looks super nice but too American for me.

I love St. Thomas. Been there twice. It’s not crazy commercialized like Aruba which is the other Caribbean place we’ve been.The Marriott is on the beach. Sleep in. Walk out 30 seconds to this low key outdooor restaurant/bar on the beach and eat an amazing breakfast. Get dressed for the day and do a snorkeling/Kat/boat thing or go somewhere else on the island...come back around 1-2. Start (or continue if you’ve been on a Kat) drinking, lay out some, drink more...all under the thatch at that restaurant and beach right there. Do that for four hours. Shower up. Then dinner. They have a great restaurant about 25 minutes from the hotel. Old Homestead or something. I forget. They bring you into the kitchen and you select the cut of meat you want. Good ****. I really want to go back but the kids are a little young right now. Oh yeah, they have a golf course that looks nuts too. St Thomas is hilly and en route to that restaurant you can see the golf course and on the one hole the fairway looks like it’s on the side of a mountain, on a 30 degree angle or something. I gotta play that.
How much would a week in St Thomas or Aruba cost? 3 flights and a week in the hotel/resort?

Like 6000 or so im guessing?

Flights are a crusher for a family of four. I plan my vacations around either cheap flights, sky mile flights or just driving which is always a great way to go with a family if you have time. But anywhere on the West coast is only a days drive so love those trips.
Agreed. ****ing airline prices keep me grounded.

Last year we drove to long Beach for a cruise to save money. Long *** drive. (My parents paid for the cruise and parking garage with money from my grandparents will too so that was a nice bonus)

Really wanna do in no particular order...
Maine
Key West again
SF/Napa/Sonoma
Yosemite
Utah again-Games, a different park
Canada—Montreal, Vancouver, etc.
Alaska
Oregon/Washington
Dakota’s/Montana/Idaho/Wyoming
Colorado
Texas to see my friend again
All the Europe stuff I mentioned