What's new

What kind of player can Gobert be?

What is the skill that chandler possesses that rudy will never be able to achieve if he works hard at it?

Being as good as Tyson Chandler at basketball. It's not a question of the "skills" involved in the game, but more of the combination of defensive intuition, coordination, physical size, and raw athletic ability.

IMHO I think Rudy has the potential to be a better defensive player than either of them. Why the f... hasn't Ty given him more opportunities? Geezus, what is wrong with the FO? Give the guy minutes and let him develop.

Than either of Chandler or Noah?

Any shred of credibility you have in the realm of basketball opinions is gone.

I don't like the comparison. Noah is a floor general. Rudy gives the ball away like it's going out of style. I have high hopes for him, but I don't like that comparison at all. I see him possibly being a Shawn Bradley type player.

Sent from the JazzFanz app

I dont understand your vague question.

I think you are asking what things gobert might be able to do that is similar to what chandler has done in his career.

I think if he gets a bit stronger he should be able to be a defensive anchor and block lots of shots and alter even more. He should be able to score on putbacks and alleyoops after setting picks and rolling to the hoop. He should be able to set good solid screens to free teammates up for shots.
Basically all the things chandler can do
Yes. You're correct. Look, I'm sure Rudy can get you 9/9/2 like Chandler, but they play much differently. Cy pretty much explains all of that.

Gobert has 1/10th the coordination of Tyson Chandler.

I think Gobert is like 1/100 on finishing easy dump off passes with mild lane traffic. Terrible, terrible hands.

I think you outrageously underestimate the guy. For one, we haven't seen enough of him. For two, what little I have seen of him has been pretty impressive on the defensive end. He is very young and raw but the guy can be a force. He can develop the strength and coordination in his hands, and he's pretty quick for a guy his size.

I think you outrageously underestimate the guy. For one, we haven't seen enough of him. For two, what little I have seen of him has been pretty impressive on the defensive end. He is very young and raw but the guy can be a force. He can develop the strength and coordination in his hands, and he's pretty quick for a guy his size.

I obviously exaggerated my point, but my point remains. Awful hands and finishing in traffic. I think some of that may have been nerves, but that is still a very basic skill all big men should have that he just doesn't at this point.

Honestly think 20% (still exaggerating cuz its fun) of Hayward and Burks TO's early in the season can be attributed to Rudy dropping passes in traffic.

@Cy
Do you think its possible for rudy gobert to average chandler type of numbers? (9 pts 9 rebounds with a couple blocks per game)

I wonder if jazz management was thinking to themselves "we could possibly have the next robert swift, saer sene, hasheem thabeet, fessenko on our hands with gobert so we should try to draft him."
Or if they thought "this gobert guy could end up being a similar player to tyson chandler."

Or maybe they dont even think about how one player compares to another at all.

I wonder if jazz management was thinking to themselves "we could possibly have the next robert swift, saer sene, hasheem thabeet, fessenko on our hands with gobert so we should try to draft him."
Or if they thought "this gobert guy could end up being a similar player to tyson chandler."

Or maybe they dont even think about how one player compares to another at all.

They probably just thought, "this guy is super tall, super long, super young, and still has time to be molded. This draft class looks like a train wreck, so a late first is an easy risk to swallow, as you can't teach size, and Rudy has it."

They probably just thought, "this guy is super tall, super long, super young, and still has time to be molded. This draft class looks like a train wreck, so a late first is an easy risk to swallow, as you can't teach size, and Rudy has it."

Probably right

Either Wilt or Dream. Maybe a skinnier shaq?

I think a less athletic but smarter JaVale McGee is a good comparison.

Noah and Chandler are top players.

Either Wilt or Dream. Maybe a skinnier shaq?

I think a less athletic but smarter JaVale McGee is a good comparison.

Noah and Chandler are top players.

Wilt, dream, shaq? All nothing like goberts game (great defense, but no offense)

Chandler is extremely one dimensional and a liability on offense.
He did nothing in chicago, then went to a great situation in new orleans where chris paul could throw him lobs all day and david west could handle all the big man scoring duties. Then he was just what dallas needed with all the offense already taken care of and another great offensive big playing next to him.
Now he is in new york with melo and they are fighting to get into the playoffs in probably the weakest eastern conference ever.

Chandler is a great defensive player but he is nowhere near shaq, wilt, or hakeem.

Wilt, dream, shaq? All nothing like goberts game (great defense, but no offense)

He did nothing in chicago, then went to a great situation in new orleans where chris paul could throw him lobs all day and david west could handle all the big man scoring duties. Then he was just what dallas needed with all the offense already taken care of and another great offensive big playing next to him.
Now he is in new york with melo and they are fighting to get into the playoffs in probably the weakest eastern conference ever.

Chandler is a great defensive player but he is nowhere near shaq, wilt, or hakeem.

Agreed about wilt, shaq and hakeem. But he was the starting center on a team that won the championship. That's the point: Gobert does not necessarily need a big O to be a highly useful player. If his defense is good enough then that is sufficient, but of course you have to add the right mix around him.

Agreed about wilt, shaq and hakeem. But he was the starting center on a team that won the championship. That's the point: Gobert does not necessarily need a big O to be a highly useful player. If his defense is good enough then that is sufficient, but of course you have to add the right mix around him.

i agree

You're right. Chandler sucks.

So Gobert is comparable to wilt or bill? Or is he a combo of the two?