What's new

What should be done with Rudy Gay

My personal feeling is that Gay is on his way out, and not part of the future of this team. I’d just love to see Paschall play and progress on this team. He’s a mismatch no matter who is guarding him, he easily can overpower most wings and bigger 4’s can’t stay in front of him and god help the poor guard that switches on to him in the middle of a possession, and what could potentially make him more valuable is he can guard well on the perimeter against wings and still guard bigger 4’s. He could be a part of our future, and I don’t want him to get lost in all the “we are obligated to play Gay”

Here's the 2 ton elephant in the room.

Gay doesn't have a whole lot of playoff experience - 3 first round exits.

And what he has he hasn't been particularly all that good.

If we could figure out how to combine Juancho and Eric into one player, then I think we've got ourselves a long-term solution.
Juanchic? Erincho?

Thought the thread title was "We should be done with Rudy Gay", and I totally agree.

Give Paschall his minutes.

If it takes 7 years for players to get acclimated into Quin’s system you think the Jazz would be smart enough to quit signing and trading for over the hill players. I can’t believe how incompetent Jazz management is. So incompetent they are running out of resources to use to rid themselves of stupid picks, signings, and trades. Losing to the pelicans by 20+ is pathetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

isn't Conley signed for 3 years too? we giving him too much slack. dude's really been struggling in recent games

i mean when you continue to sign these old dudes that have seemingly lost their legs to long term deals, what else do you really expect?

It's not like there weren't any lessons to learn from the Ed/Favs signings.

There is a weird line between playing older guys too much so their body starts to break down and playing them too little so they cannot maintain game shape. It looks to me like Gay is both still bothered by his foot, and lacking enough PT to get into game shape. Not sure we have the luxury to get him in game shape right now. The conditioning team needs to work with him a lot outside of game time to build that stamina back up. It is decidedly harder to keep your body in top shape when you are 35 than when you were 25. This has shades of the Conley Hammy all over it. He will fade and be basically a nothing as this is his rehab year. If he gets it right in the offseason he could be a stretch 4 option for us in spot minutes next year, but I have zero hope he will be any kind of an impact player this year.

And frankly we would get a bigger bang for our buck if you just flipped Gay's and Paschall's minutes. Paschall needs more burn and gives us more energy, better D (at least right now with Gay not really ready to play), and better shooting, and he is younger and has more of a future. Let Gay get the spot minutes so he can heal and maybe come back next year in a better, albeit older, spot.

There is a weird line between playing older guys too much so their body starts to break down and playing them too little so they cannot maintain game shape. It looks to me like Gay is both still bothered by his foot, and lacking enough PT to get into game shape. Not sure we have the luxury to get him in game shape right now. The conditioning team needs to work with him a lot outside of game time to build that stamina back up. It is decidedly harder to keep your body in top shape when you are 35 than when you were 25. This has shades of the Conley Hammy all over it. He will fade and be basically a nothing as this is his rehab year. If he gets it right in the offseason he could be a stretch 4 option for us in spot minutes next year, but I have zero hope he will be any kind of an impact player this year.
Quin runs his guys so hard that even Demps is rupturing tendons.