What's new

Where Does Hood End Up?

Where Does Hood End Up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, I'll give him Gobert and now Mitchell.
But if you credit him for successes, you have to also acknowledge his failures: Burke, Lyles, wasted lottery pick on Hill (by not having him agree to an extension as terms of the trade), Exum (still TBD), no significant rotation players later in the draft. No "gems" for bringing in nearly 100 players every summer for workouts. Good gawd, you'd expect Idaho/SLC to be able to field a decent squad with that level of player analysis. Instead, they been the WORST D/G League team since Lindsey has been GM.

And losing Hayward for nothing. He alienated him with his culture of losing, further adding to the disrespect Hayward felt during his restricted free agency. Now the RFA was on KOC, but creating a playoff team was on Lindsey. He purposely let Utah lose by not signing free agents (Utah was around 28th in payroll for 3 yrs running, IINM). Despite his mantra of "don't skip steps," he really did. Jazz were never bad enough to have top draft picks, except for one year. If you do a rebuild, do it right! Reportedly, Hayward asked for a trade last summer. Instead of getting nothing, could Utah have gotten anywhere near what Indiana did for George?

Again, I'm hoping DL will make some significant trades. I'm just saying his track record is to hesitate because he dislikes the risks and then he covers his tracks by saying the cost was too high, or they explored all the options and liked their own guys better.

So I won't be surprised if nothing happens.

Do you have a source for Haywood's trade request? Is it Geltzeiler? No reputable sportswriter confirmed the report. On the contrary, it was refuted quickly.

Bringing Hill was a good move at the time. We were all in for a deep run in the playoffs. It's not DL fault Hill didn't resign with us. Remember, the Jazz offered a very generous extension, 20M more than what Sac ended up paying. Given Hill's poor play this season maybe fans would kill DL if he had resigned.

Last year offseason was excellent, bringing veterans to complement and up and coming team. But I do have some criticism: not making those moves a year earlier under the excuse of 'not skipping steps'. Phrases like '"Alec Burks is our biggest free agent" makes me cringe. 2015-2016 was a lost year by all accounts: no internal growth from young players, no playoffs, crappy pick. Other mistakes were extending Tibor (and later using a 2nd to get rid of his contract) and in hindsight trading for Rubio. Regarding Bricky, I understand the move since we wanted to have a pg before contract negotiations with GH began (and it was reported GH really liked Rubio)...those are the type of short-term moves to keep happy your star that will later haunt you.

Anyway, the successes out-weight the negatives. DL has moved quickly to correct some of his mistakes plus he has been able to acquire two franchise players without really tanking: remaining competitive while getting top talent is some of the hardest things to accomplish by a GM. Avoiding monstrous contracts is a positive too. The Jazz will spend as long as the player is a difference maker, which is why they have decided to move from Hood. I do expect a move (s) to happen this trade deadline. DL track record shouldn't be used to predict his future moves.

Last edited:
But if you credit him for successes, you have to also acknowledge his failures: Burke, Lyles, wasted lottery pick on Hill (by not having him agree to an extension as terms of the trade), Exum (still TBD), no significant rotation players later in the draft. No "gems" for bringing in nearly 100 players every summer for workouts. Good gawd, you'd expect Idaho/SLC to be able to field a decent squad with that level of player analysis. Instead, they been the WORST D/G League team since Lindsey has been GM.
I'll give you Burke as a fail (though the 2nd round pick we got is years away). That Lyles pick turned into DM, and who from that terrible 2016 draft class should drafted instead of trying to contend w/ Hill? I'd say Hood is a significant rotation player, but he's better off the bench than what we've wanted him to be. I'd also consider Ingles a "gem", but how many un-drafted players who get signed from workouts are anything more than to fill out rosters?

Seriously, not many GM's out there have struck gold without having been some of the worst teams for years. Even then it doesn't always pan out for the teams that do hit the jack pot. I think OKC got lucky and struck gold with drafting, but that didn't pan out and I bet they are going to be back in the lottery in a few years.

Cleveland has two first round picks.
Atlanta and Phoenix have three.

When all is said and done, I bet Lindsey has one of them.

trading Hood for a late first doesn't make sense... unless the Jazz feel confident Hood is going to get a tim hardaway type offer this summer. I imagine we'd want actual players rather than draft compensation

And losing Hayward for nothing. He alienated him with his culture of losing, further adding to the disrespect Hayward felt during his restricted free agency. Now the RFA was on KOC, but creating a playoff team was on Lindsey. He purposely let Utah lose by not signing free agents (Utah was around 28th in payroll for 3 yrs running, IINM). Despite his mantra of "don't skip steps," he really did. Jazz were never bad enough to have top draft picks, except for one year. If you do a rebuild, do it right! Reportedly, Hayward asked for a trade last summer. Instead of getting nothing, could Utah have gotten anywhere near what Indiana did for George?

Again, I'm hoping DL will make some significant trades. I'm just saying his track record is to hesitate because he dislikes the risks and then he covers his tracks by saying the cost was too high, or they explored all the options and liked their own guys better.

So I won't be surprised if nothing happens.
Lmao are you really bringing up a team's G-League record as a mark against DL?

Are you daft? The G-League isnt about winning to DL bruh.

Cleveland has two first round picks.
Atlanta and Phoenix have three.

When all is said and done, I bet Lindsey has one of them.

Cleveland maybe, but ATL and PHX are going nowhere and won’t part with a pick for an expiring.

trading Hood for a late first doesn't make sense... unless the Jazz feel confident Hood is going to get a tim hardaway type offer this summer. I imagine we'd want actual players rather than draft compensation

A team with cap space is going to try to overpay for Hood this summer if we do nothing. It will happen. A team will look and say hey this guy is 25, scored around 16 PPG last year, had a decent 3 pt FG%, we have cap space that we won't need until our young players on rookie deals need to be paid, so why not? The Jazz can't afford to match a stupid offer. We're in the middle of restructuring this roster around DM and Rudy. We need all of the financial flexibility we can get over the next few years. The Jazz need to take the best offer they get for Hood (and Favors).

Cleveland maybe, but ATL and PHX are going nowhere and won’t part with a pick for an expiring.
Maybe he doesn't fit their timeline, but as a RFA they could keep him for 3-4 years as long as they are willing to pay him

DL is a top 5 GM (he’s probably top 3, but I’m just being conservative here). He’s had some big draft hits and some misses. He’s made some really good moves, some moderate moves, and a couple bad moves. I wanted Trey Burke the year we drafted him — can’t fault him. GH trade was gold. Mitchell and Gobert are gold. As far as mid-season trades, Mack was a decent pickup despite the fact that he became too relied on. The Kanter trade I was not a fan of (not because I opposed trading Kanter). We just happened to get a heap of trash in exchange for a guy that two teams were willing to max.

I think he’s made the right moves when needed, but that’s been in the offseason. I’m uncertain what/if he’s looking to do much this season. Common sense would say yes but I have no idea. Last year common sense said we needed height and rebounding (we had Boris and Lyles coming off the bench with Withey in the doghouse) and making a waiver-wire claim on Bogut seemed like a no-lose situation. With Mack being trash, DWill made sense to a lesser extent. We didn’t upgrade the big rotation and we made the argument that we didn’t want DWill to hamper Exum’s development but then trotted Mack out there. So there’s that. Mirotic makes a lot of sense to me and I would have made a deal yesterday, but I’m just a fan. The eye test says we need a real move. I’m not certain what that would be, but here’s to hoping we get a legitimate move and we don’t just dump Hood for some junk draft pick.

I’m showing that PHX has three first rounders this year in addition to three second rounders. Here’s to hoping they like Rubio as much as their fans do.

A team with cap space is going to try to overpay for Hood this summer if we do nothing. It will happen. A team will look and say hey this guy is 25, scored around 16 PPG last year, had a decent 3 pt FG%, we have cap space that we won't need until our young players on rookie deals need to be paid, so why not? The Jazz can't afford to match a stupid offer. We're in the middle of restructuring this roster around DM and Rudy. We need all of the financial flexibility we can get over the next few years. The Jazz need to take the best offer they get for Hood (and Favors).

Its a tight market... I don't know off hand who has space but I know not many teams have it, so there's less of a risk of someone putting up a ton of $$

Agreed - as long as they keep the financial flexibility you are describing. If a trade takes that away, and he is not in the go forward plan, let him walk.

it makes sense. it's about asset and cap management. DL maybe realized the team is far from contention so why not use our best trade asset to get rid of one bad contract plus acquiring a 1st

Hood is very good but it seems the Jazz concluded he is not the third piece (at 16-18M) we need next to Rudy/Mitchell

Its a tight market... I don't know off hand who has space but I know not many teams have it, so there's less of a risk of someone putting up a ton of $$
100% there'll be a couple of teams wanting a guy who can get up 7-8 3 pt attempts a game and shoot a good percentage

Like 8 or 9 teams. It's just takes one. It reminds me of GH free agency. Few teams had cap space and statistically he had a very poor season and got a max offer anyway. Hood is having a decent season so it wouldn't be surprising a couple of teams are targeting him

Last edited: