What's new

Where Does Hood End Up?

Where Does Hood End Up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
DL is a top 5 GM (he’s probably top 3, but I’m just being conservative here).
By what measure/standard?

He inherited a playoff team with two fringe all-stars on expiring contracts and four lottery picks on rookie deals. In 5 1/2 years, his teams are 24 games below .500.

He inherited a playoff team with two fringe all-stars on expiring contracts and four lottery picks on rookie deals. In 5 1/2 years, his teams are 24 games below .500.
He got Gobert and Mitchell.

There were a bunch of injuries that I guess he could take some blame for? Exum was a huge blow to everything (particularly letting Millsap and Carroll walk/not maximizing those assets in order to essentially get Exum).

Tyrone Corbin sucked (I know you disagree).

This is an organization that has been transitioning on every level, with exception to ownership.

I believe he's an exceptional - but not elite - GM.

I don’t think people appreciate how mediocre KOC was. He was so mediocre he was bad. After Larry died, he and Greg trashed this team. For everything the left sees as the mess Bush left for Obama, that’s be the equivalent of what was left around for DL. I believe the tone and direction of the team are headed up and I have no metric besides my own opinion — sorry, I can’t give you a GM PER scorecard that we can go back and forth on — he’s made good moves. If it’s true he was behind trading Hill for Kawhi, then that’s consistent with what I’ve seen from him.

A lot of GMs really aren’t that far separated from the casual fan, and I think that’s fairly under appreciated. Kahn was a huge example of this, though most are not as inept.

We are calling Big Al a fringe all-star now?

GVC perhaps you could list the GMs you think are elite and why.

DL is really good. Not perfect by any means but any GM has their warts

DL hasn't made any significant in-season trades (unless you count Mack). And prior to last year, when the Jazz finally went on a spending "binge" by signing JJ and trading for Fat Boris and George Hill, he constantly repeated the mantra that the Jazz wanted to maintain financial flexibility so they could be players in free agency. And then, every summer, he would lament that the players were overpriced.

I'll be surprised if anything significant happens. DL LOVES to accumulate draft picks - and then generally waste them. It's likely Utah gives away Hood and Favors for future seconds and then DL sits on his hands this summer, wanting another year of landing in the lottery to attempt a secondary rebuild under his watch, since the first essentially only netted Exum with all the losing and extra picks. Everyone else could have been acquired with Utah's own picks.
You should probably include the Jazz rebuild also netted Gobert and eventually Mitchell

P.S. I blame the Jazz drafting Burke instead of Giannis on Ty.

Yes, I'll give him Gobert and now Mitchell.
But if you credit him for successes, you have to also acknowledge his failures: Burke, Lyles, wasted lottery pick on Hill (by not having him agree to an extension as terms of the trade), Exum (still TBD), no significant rotation players later in the draft. No "gems" for bringing in nearly 100 players every summer for workouts. Good gawd, you'd expect Idaho/SLC to be able to field a decent squad with that level of player analysis. Instead, they been the WORST D/G League team since Lindsey has been GM.

And losing Hayward for nothing. He alienated him with his culture of losing, further adding to the disrespect Hayward felt during his restricted free agency. Now the RFA was on KOC, but creating a playoff team was on Lindsey. He purposely let Utah lose by not signing free agents (Utah was around 28th in payroll for 3 yrs running, IINM). Despite his mantra of "don't skip steps," he really did. Jazz were never bad enough to have top draft picks, except for one year. If you do a rebuild, do it right! Reportedly, Hayward asked for a trade last summer. Instead of getting nothing, could Utah have gotten anywhere near what Indiana did for George?

Again, I'm hoping DL will make some significant trades. I'm just saying his track record is to hesitate because he dislikes the risks and then he covers his tracks by saying the cost was too high, or they explored all the options and liked their own guys better.

So I won't be surprised if nothing happens.
Also, Labling Lyles as a failure is premature at this point and Lyles value was key piece In getting us Mitchell

Lyles moved us up 11. I repeat ELEVEN spots.

I still cant beleive it.

That fact alone is a pass for the lyles pick.

And if Haywood had re-signed, we'd have a 51(probably 55/healthy) win team that just added the best rookie in the draft and one of the best teams in the league. DL set this team up really well and had the bad luck of Boston having the perfect coach and a ton of assets and perfect timing. **** happens, but acting like DL has been incompetent is a stretch. He could have been better, but is still pretty damn good.

Also, I've said this a million times, and will continue as long as DL is being trashed, but the really big mistake in our rebuild belongs to KOC during the lockout year. That was the year to be proactive in rebuilding and Utah lost by far the most value in terms of assets by deciding to chase the playoffs that year. DL still should have blown it up as well, but by then most of the damage was already done.

Last edited:
100% there'll be a couple of teams wanting a guy who can get up 7-8 3 pt attempts a game and shoot a good percentage
There are plenty of guys who are going to be higher on wish lists and a very limited amount of money to go around. Not to mention Hood's pre-game jitters that make it certain he's going to miss a certain amount of games every year. I'm betting he gets a 4 year 55-60 deal at best.

There are plenty of guys who are going to be higher on wish lists and a very limited amount of money to go around. Not to mention Hood's pre-game jitters that make it certain he's going to miss a certain amount of games every year. I'm betting he gets a 4 year 55-60 deal at best.

Doubt it. I think DL knows what offers Hood will be looking at in RFA. If it was $15Mil/yr we would be crazy to move him.

I expect some team will throw him a contract in the 20 mill per range. Maybe even more than that. Remember when Allen Crabbe signed an offer sheet for like 19 mill per over 4 years? And he never put up numbers anywhere near Rodney's. Basketball fans always expect there to be less money around then there ultimately is and then they are blown away by the numbers some players get offered.

Doubt it. I think DL knows what offers Hood will be looking at in RFA.

You mean like he knew what Haywood would be offered? Nobody knows for sure, but it's not hard to find a list of FAs and compare it to the amount of teams who will have money. As of now I believe there are about 5-6 teams that will have enough money to make an offer. There could be several more that can clear some cap, but Hood is nowhere close to the top of the FA class.

DL is not looking to dump Hood because he's worried about a big offer. The FA landscape this year is night and day different than it was with Kanter. If that was the case, DL would have tried to dump Hood a lot sooner.

Look around the league and it's easy to find players who misread the changing FA money available. Hill, Noel, etc. lost out on a lot of money because things have changed drastically from where they were a year ago. The main reason being because the salary cap came in 9 million lower than expected.

Anyway, as I like to say, hide and watch. DL may be shopping Hood, but it's not because he's desperate to dump him like he was with kanter.