What's new

Who is the Best Guard or Wing We can Get for Walker Kessler?

I mean, sell at high value.

I dont think they have to trade him, but I do think if they go into next year wanting to the best team possible, it will probably be with him off the bench.
I get that. I just think its a bit premature to ship him out. But if we suck the second most important thing to evaluate (after Keyonte as a lead guard) is probably if Walker can develop his offensive bag in any ways.

Like really just sit down and be honset with yourselves about who Walker is and isnt:

• He has shown 0 ability to defend on the perimeter
  • He isnt an elite above the rim athlete who create lob attempts at a high rate
  • He has confidence issues at the FT line
  • His shot is very mechanical and busy.
  • He can't dribble
  • He can't pass
  • He has no post moves
  • He's a great shot blocker with impeccable timing, but no one actually fears him
  • The NBA is getting harder and harder every year as more and more players become higher skilled and better shooters.

Overall I would prefer to keep him because he can be a great bench piece, or short minutes starter, but I'm sure some people around the league still really believe in his DPOY kind of upside.

I mean, sell at high value.

I dont think they have to trade him, but I do think if they go into next year wanting to the best team possible, it will probably be with him off the bench.
I fully agree with this and don't want to start an argument but didn't you say the other day we don't have to maximize every asset. Just build the team with good players?

I agree if we can get better by trading Kessler we should do it. Again not trying to start an argument with you but this was kinda my point as well especially with other front court players on the team that aren't playmakers

I guess the only main differences between our opinions is your ok with Kessler off the bench. If that's the case I'd prefer to sell at high value but I do agree Kessler would be a nice bench piece if that's the route the team chooses to go long term

lol… or we just get the kid space and a pg.

You don’t trade him now unless you get a too good to pass up type offer. If you draft Sarr or find a better center by all means make a move… until then just chill.

It’s so clear that a guy like Walker would be most affected by our two biggest issues with lack of passing and spacing. He is the player most susceptible to a fall off when getting John Collins and running with our pg mess.

It’s more likely that Kessler is a 24-30 minute guy and you find a stretch center option to be a change up than it is to find a stretch center option that also does the other stuff you need and Walker becomes the traditional backup guy.

John Collins has been solid in a vacuum but this is part of the cost of the deal.

lol… or we just get the kid space and a pg.

You don’t trade him now unless you get a too good to pass up type offer. If you draft Sarr or find a better center by all means make a move… until then just chill.

It’s so clear that a guy like Walker would be most affected by our two biggest issues with lack of passing and spacing. He is the player most susceptible to a fall off when getting John Collins and running with our pg mess.
Oh I completely agree Kessler has been affected by the lack of spacing, poor point guard play and the insertion of John Collins in the starting lineup. Now if you can definitely say Walker's value won't drop in the eyes of the league due to these issues then I'm totally fine with keeping him around and see if the Jazz can upgrade before making a move.

But like Bill Belichek on the Patriots I'd rather get rid of a player a year earlier than a year late. I'm totally fine with waiting this out and see what happens but I think you have to realize doing that does in fact put the risk out there that Kesslers value could tank around the league whereas right now is still probably fairly good. That's the nature of the business. Sometimes you hold onto players too long and sometimes you get rid of them too early. It's a risk either way

MCW won ROY once.....

There's a number of players who had great rookie seasons who never amounted to much of anything.

I think Paschall was first team rookie and is now out of the NBA.
No way Kessler is a wash out with his ability to block shots. It’s his super power as Thurl would say. Not sure if you remember how bad Rudy was the first couple of years, cause Kessler is further along than second year Rudy imo.

Way too early to start thinking about trading Kessler, who just turned 22 this summer. Cy is at it again with a new thread about a player he doesn't like.

Dumbest thing being discussed in this board by a mile is the suggestion that removing Vando and Gay and adding Collins hurt our spacing. And a lot of smart people involved in fixing that narrative.

Collins is actually the 3rd best pair to Kessler from our main rotation guys according to net ratings (and offensive ratings):
Screenshot_20231105_202424_Chrome.jpg

Dumbest thing being discussed in this board by a mile is the suggestion that removing Vando and Gay and adding Collins hurt our spacing. And a lot of smart people involved in fixing that narrative.

Collins is actually the 3rd best pair to Kessler from our main rotation guys according to net ratings (and offensive ratings):
View attachment 15342
It doesn’t help when compared with what KO brings to that lineup versus Gay/Vando. It’s also made worse by having a guy like THT who is not a good shooter off the dribble and is not a guy that teams close hard too… in the place of Mike Conley and having this years JC compared to last year JC.

Collins might work better in that lineup with a true pg and some other competent shooters. The guard play is so damn horrible that it’s honestly hard to make any kind of evaluation.

I wouldn't even think about trading Kessler until you give him a look with a more traditional lineup <...> if he still continues to struggle then I start to have a conversation about where he fits in our future.
I agree. Kid should get a chance to play in a traditional lineup.
The downside: if kid continues to struggle his trade value will torpedoed down

If you really want to trade Kessler the time to do it is at draft time. If there’s some prospect you really like you trade him for a top ten pick from a team itching to win now but with Kessler they can still get the benefit of a rookie contract.

I agree. Kid should get a chance to play in a traditional lineup.
The downside: if kid continues to struggle his trade value will torpedoed down
I’m not sure why we are all that worried about his trade value. It isn’t like teams are busting down our doors to make a huge offer right now. Do people not think he’s good? Worst case he’s a Zubac type and is for sure better than our other options.

Guys don’t let Cy get you all worked up here. He’s a good player and asset and will be next year and the year after that. Until we have a better prospect there is no reason to even consider moving him unless someone gives a huge offer.

I’m not sure why we are all that worried about his trade value. It isn’t like teams are busting down our doors to make a huge offer right now. Do people not think he’s good? Worst case he’s a Zubac type and is for sure better than our other options.

Guys don’t let Cy get you all worked up here. He’s a good player and asset and will be next year and the year after that. Until we have a better prospect there is no reason to even consider moving him unless someone gives a huge offer.
I understand all of that. But it just a theoretical exercise, right? ;)

It’s just kinda hilarious that we watch the holy trinity of combo guards go 12/37 from the field and while getting 12 assists and 8 turnovers and think that we should trade Walker for underperforming? It’s almost like someone is trying to distract from the narrative that his favorite went 6/20 in 24 minutes.