What's new

Why the Jazz Can't Beat the Rockets With Gobert

Why can't we play a zone ?

Sent from my SM-N950U using JazzFanz mobile app
How do you beat a zone? Good ball handlers that can get past their guy and make good decisions. Having 4 shooters, 2 great creators/ball handlers and a solid big that can stand just out of the paint for the dump pass eats a zone alive. Maybe mixing in some zone can throw off teams but we might give up 150 point a game to the zone if we play it the whole game.

This is such a bad take. Without Rudy we don't stand a chance. Do people really STILL not understand the impact Gobert brings defensively? Like, really??? FFS. Without Gobert how do you propose slowing down a historically good Rockets offense? We need his defense.

Yes, the Rockets offense can cause mismatches and pull Rudy away from the hoop. We'll have to prepare better for that in game 2. But Rudy can be a mismatch in our favor too. We need to utilize his size advantage down low and play some bully ball.

Wait, your evidence is a video of the same bozo who said he would take Whiteside over Gobert a year ago?

It has nothing to do with being a homer. The Jazz win or lose with Gobert. This is the team they built, this is the team they go down with. Plan B, C, D, and E all include Gobert.

And yeah, the Jazz will probably lose. They will definitely lose if they dont play Gobert. If the Jazz had w/e big man was the best at guarding Houston's actions, they would still probably lose. The Jazz arent losing because of Gobert (though he isnt the best player to have against Houston). They are losing because they have less talent and their starting PG (Thabo too) is injured.
You can't beat GS or Houston going small. Your only chance is length and defense.

I expected game 1, time to adjust and move on to game 2.

Grizzlies
Grizzlies
76ers
Raptors
Lakers
Clippers
Thunder
Celtics
Wizards
Warriors
Pistons
Clippers
Pelicans
Raptors
Spurs
Thunder
Kings

Those are the teams the Rockets lost to this year. Most those games their opponent had to score a lot to beat them. But they did, and most of them used a big center in the process.

No way do we try to go small and pull Rudy. We need to bring it to them and make them beat us. Play to your strengths, and beat them at their own game.. There is no reason why Clint Capela and PJ Tucker should be working Rudy and Favors. **** that.

They need to get up into them. Make them uncomfortable. Get them out of rythym. Push them off the three point line. Play harder and smarter. Fight for every loose ball. You want the refs to call things in your favor? You have to be the aggressor and dictate whats happening. Our fans need to stop blaming the refs. Its stupid. Its not the problem.

Bottom line is the Rockets are beatable with Rudy and this roster. The Jazz just have to make some adjustments. I believe they can do it.

How do you beat a zone? Good ball handlers that can get past their guy and make good decisions. Having 4 shooters, 2 great creators/ball handlers and a solid big that can stand just out of the paint for the dump pass eats a zone alive. Maybe mixing in some zone can throw off teams but we might give up 150 point a game to the zone if we play it the whole game.
Except for then our guys don't have switch and the drivers have to take on Gobert and Favors set on the paint.

Sent from my SM-N950U using JazzFanz mobile app

Too much talk about strategy and not enough talk about Houston’s weak psyche. Never underestimate a weak psyche and a confidence switch.

Too much talk about strategy and not enough talk about Houston’s weak psyche. Never underestimate a weak psyche and a confidence switch.

This is what I wanna see. In the past the key figures on the Rockets have all folded under the pressure of the playoffs (Harden, D'Antoni, Paul). We know that this Jazz team is mentally tough and is going to keep fighting no matter how many punches they take. But what happens if the Jazz land a big punch on the Rockets that stuns them (like winning game 2)? Could the Rockets respond or would they start feeling that massive pressure coming down on them?

If they hit their 3's they win. Simple as that. They have Mike D'Antoni orchestrating an offense behind 2 superstars! Teams tried the entire year to stop their 3 point game and no one could.
Just have to hope that 50% comes down to 30-40% on 3s and you got a chance.

I'm trying to figure out myself how anybody can defend either GS or Houston successfully....when both teams take and make a high percentage of forced 3 point shots on a regular basis! 3 point shooting has obviously improved by a factor of 10 in the last 5 years and is now the biggest part of all successful offenses. Because of the improved accuracy of 3 point shooters the game has gone from unwatchable to greatly entertaining! I suppose there's a way to defend these 3 point shooting teams, maybe hope they have an off night and commit 20 turnovers, but other than that, I am clueless on how to even slow down GS or Houston!

^
This same kind of logic cost the Thunder the series. They refused to bench Melo
Between this and offering 0 solutions, you have made it clear you are not be listened to or maybe even respected.

Is this a joke?

Of course Rudy must play, i´m sure Quinn won´t sleep during this series working on this adjustment. But, as an idea, maybe could be interesting to play Udoh to try to cut the p&r with Capela with hard defense over him (6 faults). Against The Rockets you have to try to slow their pace, with good defense, time outs and faults and even with all of this could be not enough.

^
This same kind of logic cost the Thunder the series. They refused to bench Melo until it was too late because "that's the team they built".

And yeah you're probably going to spout some garbage about how Melo is not Gobert, yada yada while missing the bigger picture. Every situation is different and you play people more or less accordingly. Hopefully Snyder is smarter than this and makes adjustments instead of being a stubborn ******* like you.

Melo isn’t okc best player.

Tell me about a time when a team benched their best player due to matchups.

At some point in this series there will be a thread about trading Rudy and keeping Favs.

Nah cause Rudy gonna bounce back like he always does