What's new

Why the Jazz Can't Beat the Rockets With Gobert

This video didn't say the Jazz can't win with Gobert. It said unless he changes his game. I agree with that actually, and it highlighted the issues he had. Given two days rest and Quin's adjustments, that won't happen again. The Rockets were unusually hot from 3 as well and we're one of the better teams at defending it. Just have to play smarter. Jazz win Game 2 if someone lights up.

^
This same kind of logic cost the Thunder the series. They refused to bench Melo until it was too late because "that's the team they built".

And yeah you're probably going to spout some garbage about how Melo is not Gobert, yada yada while missing the bigger picture. Every situation is different and you play people more or less accordingly. Hopefully Snyder is smarter than this and makes adjustments instead of being a stubborn ******* like you.
You are not being the basketball genius that you seem to believe you are.

You are not being the basketball genius that you seem to believe you are.
I had trouble understanding your response - I would have to go back in the thread. Can you in the future provide more detail instead of just responding to the specific poster who would be the only one to understand it -- do you get I mean?

Between this and offering 0 solutions, you have made it clear you are not be listened to or maybe even respected.

Is this a joke?
The solutions are in the video. Also, people here tend to just read the headline or a sentence of a paragraph without actually reading and synthesizing the entire argument, and I'm not going to waste my time anymore.

But to answer your question, the video points out adjustments that Gobert can make (explicitly and implicitly). You try that first and hope Gobert can make the drastic adjustments. If he can't adjust, then the best thing I can think of is try Crowder in his place (even though I'm not a fan of Crowder) or make Favors play some offense. Favors has the size advantage and should be able to abuse the Rocket bigs.

A plan C would be to make Harden and one other 3 point shooter on their team play a lot of defense. If Harden gets assigned an easier guy, make him switch on the pick and roll so that he's constantly needing to guard. His 3 point percentage will go down as he gets gassed. But this plan really hinges on Ingles, Burks, or Mitchell making them pay every time which seems unlikely.

We just need to start making shots and working harder on defense. It isn't anything complicated, although it is easier said than done.

Using zone against one of the best shooting teams in the NBA seems like a bad joke.

3-2 zone is different than 2-3 zone. There are many different ways to use different types of zones as well.
Some are to defend the paint, some to defend the three ball, some are simply matchup zones.

I know I don’t like gobert guarding cp3 or harden on the 3 point line though, that’s for sure. So I would like to see a style of defense that decreases the amount of times I see that happen.... whatever defense that may be.

3-2 zone is different than 2-3 zone. There are many different ways to use different types of zones as well.
Some are to defend the paint, some to defend the three ball, some are simply matchup zones.

I know I don’t like gobert guarding cp3 or harden on the 3 point line though, that’s for sure. So I would like to see a style of defense that decreases the amount of times I see that happen.... whatever defense that may be.
There is no zone that is better at defending the 3pt line than man to man. There is a very good reason why you dont see zone in the NBA unless it's against a team who doesnt have enough shooting on the floor.

Let's do a box and 1 on Harden like the schools did to me in Jr. High.

I hope DM finds a way to spend a month with Kobe this summer. Man would that take his game to another level as quick as he is to catch on and apply learning.

There is no zone that is better at defending the 3pt line than man to man. There is a very good reason why you dont see zone in the NBA unless it's against a team who doesnt have enough shooting on the floor.

I do feel like having gobert and favors length and ability to cover so much ground could make for a good 3-2 zone though. I think the jazz are unique in that way. The two bigs can cover almost all the area inside the arc and our perimeter defenders could smother 3 point shooters. And use the perimeter guys in a matchup zone scheme rather than straight up zone.

I do feel like having gobert and favors length and ability to cover so much ground could make for a good 3-2 zone though. I think the jazz are unique in that way. The two bigs can cover almost all the area inside the arc and our perimeter defenders could smother 3 point shooters. And use the perimeter guys in a matchup zone scheme rather than straight up zone.
But the whole issue w/ them vs the Rockets is they have to cover too much ground....

The Rockets would probably shoot 60% from 3 against a zone. It has no chance of working for any extended stretch. I dont think it would be even work in single possessions.