What's new

Why the Jazz Can't Beat the Rockets With Gobert

The Rockets would probably shoot 60% from 3 against a zone. It has no chance of working for any extended stretch. I dont think it would be even work in single possessions.

Depends on what zone was used, how it was used, and what the personnel was.

They looked pretty good against man defense in game 1 of the first round against us and games 1-87 of the games before this series though.

The Nets threw a 3-2 zone at the Rockets early in the season. It was pretty effective in stopping Harden getting a mismatch off a screen. Hou still won, but Brookly came back during that stretch. I think throwing some 3-2 is worth trying.

Wouldn't be any worse than what we threw at them in game 1. Don't think it would work for a whole game, but could be effective for limited possessions.

Depends on what zone was used, how it was used, and what the personnel was.

They looked pretty good against man defense in game 1 of the first round against us and games 1-87 of the games before this series though.
I mean, I dont want to insult you, but running any zone is just a terrible idea vs the Rockets. I think any NBA coach would laugh at you for suggesting it.

They definitely wouldn’t be prepared to play against a zone. That’s for sure

The Nets threw a 3-2 zone at the Rockets early in the season. It was pretty effective in stopping Harden getting a mismatch off a screen. Hou still won, but Brookly came back during that stretch. I think throwing some 3-2 is worth trying.

Wouldn't be any worse than what we threw at them in game 1. Don't think it would work for a whole game, but could be effective for limited possessions.
Yes, it could be much worse. The Jazz contested most of the shots the Rockets took and they held them to 40% shooting on shots within the 3pt line.

This is just the latest impatient meme perpetuated about the Jazz— formerly, it was “Fav and Rudy can’t coexist.”

There’s been one game this series, we cleaned it up in the 2nd half, and were down two rotation players. We lost an away game to the #1 team in the league. Everybody calm the **** down.

I mean we played decent defense against Harden for it being game one on a quick turnaround. He was like 5/8 on stepbacks and most seemed pretty well defended what can you do?

Do your best to run them off the three point line, and funnel them into Rudy. If he ends up mismatched a couple times then you just try your best, it’s one possession. If Harden goes nuts on contested threes then you tip your cap and get ready for the next game.

What I can’t stand is great iso defense and then we let the much smaller team get the OReb. Bugs the hell out of me. If we have Favors and Rudy on the floor against Houston then Quin needs to let them crash the glass. It’s a huge advantage that we don’t use because Snyder always wants people getting back on D.

It’s a myth that Houston is constantly running, they are not Golden State in that regard. 16th fastest pace of play. Crush them on the glass.

If we can't use Rudy to punish their smalls on offence, this series is over. Plain and simple. Half of it is our offence getting it to him, and the other half is him getting his brick-*** hands on the ball, keeping it high, and actually finishing/swinging it to the corner if help comes.

I'm not concerned about Rudy and his defence.

https://giphy.com/gifs/iqNEGmyozuppfM9rrP?utm_source=iframe&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=Embeds&utm_term=https://www.theringer.com/

I mean, that's Houston killing a zone and getting an open corner 3 in that Brooklyn game. They just missed shots.
Looks like they used a lot of the shot clock in that gif and they looked a bit confused on what to do there.
I would add that Brooklyn doesn' have rudy, favors, oneal, ingles, and mitchell. I personally think we have better defenders than Brooklyn (probably a better coach too)

There is no zone that is better at defending the 3pt line than man to man. There is a very good reason why you dont see zone in the NBA unless it's against a team who doesnt have enough shooting on the floor.

This is what I know about zone defenses! You have to have above average intelligence on the part of the 5 guys to make it work half way decent. 2) Zone defenses are susses sable to giving up offensive rebounds and that's not good, either!

The conclusion is dumb. First off, Capella doesn't neutralize Gobert at all, its transition and 3 point shooting that neutralizes him. Not having Rubio hurt the Jazz offense which led to more transition.

Jazz have struggled all year when teams got hot from 3. They almost lost at home to Sacramento when they got hot. Houston shot 53% from 3. They were 40% on all other shots.

To act like it's only because of Gobert they were able to pick apart the Jazz... They picked apart almost everyone all year long. They were the best team in the nba and won 65 games.

Zone is the opposite of how to beat Houston or Golden St.

It’d be a decent defensive strategy against the Jazz.