What's new

Woj: Jazz agree to 3-team trade with Lakers and Timberwolves

I think the trade is meh. Would I have liked better? Yes! Would I have liked no protection on the pick... or even the second pick included? Of course... Would have I wanted us to not give up 2nd round picks? Yeah...

But I feel like people undervalue the 27 pick. Even lightly protected it's still overwhelmingly likely that it will convey to us. Even if they are the worst team in the league that year, we still get about 50% chance that the pick is conveyed. Those type of picks still have very high value in the league, which has to factor in the equation too - don't think of that pick just as a pick, think of it as potential trade capital too. I personally like this pick better than say... 2 lottery protected picks for example.

And those seconds... less than ideal but again - keep in mind we are getting tons of picks coming our way in the next 5-6 years so it will become increasingly hard to roster all of those.

And of course... since the moment we traded Mitchell and Gobert, the real prize this year is the chance to win the Wemby sweepstakes. I'm glad we picked that road. It's probably too late now, but still I hope we raise our odds significantly by the end of the year.

3 second rounds picks. And ya its too late now.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

This deal gets A on the aspects of flexibility (Cap + asset flexibility) and picking a direction (tank obviously). So those are the big positives. Of course not positives for those who hoped the direction wouldnt be full tank.

In terms of player development going forward, I will give this a B. We cleared the logjam on guards which means Sexton, Ochai and THT are the biggest beneficiaries in this minutes-wise. Thats a big plus. However we only moved 1 vet and 3 young guys.. so JC, KO and Gay still remain while Vando and NAW wont get a chance to improve with us anymore.

In terms of value of assets this gets a C at best.
- We didnt get "the coveted asset" which many believe to be a top pick in 2027. Lakers tanking to a bottom 4 record that year would give them over 50% odds of keeping the pick in which case we get only a 2nd, and the return haul ends up being much worse than what trading those individual pieces would have given us. This is just a huge gamble in terms of draft asset value.
- Players in are absolutely end of bench.. seeing they were end of bench in a team that had way worse bench than we did. So whatever the players out were valued for, there is no return value so its just a clear dump of player assets.

We made friends with this for sure... but the biggest negative is that we risk helping the Wolves with this and end up on the losing side in this years draft (albeit we will never know where Wolves would have ended up without this trade). My eyeball test on the Wolves has been that they are a bad team and I was pretty sure they would fall out of the play in with the schedule they have... but now with DLo out and Conley in I gotta run that test again.

Great post. Really lame that we traded 1 vet and 3 young guys. To tank.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Reading through the local reporters write ups from the game last night and it's extremely apparent how much Mike Conley meant to this team. I think maybe even I underestimated how important Mike has been.
No doubt about it. Mike was the seconsdbest player in this team after Lauri. We make a real tanking move. We should have done it at the beginning at the season. I think DA got f... up a little bit by our start as most of us where it seems that we may be good. But reality come hard and once he see ( as we see ) that we are not good enough, the best option is to try to end 6 or 7th which will give us a good chance of a top 4. Probably the best decision at that stage.

Reading through the local reporters write ups from the game last night and it's extremely apparent how much Mike Conley meant to this team. I think maybe even I underestimated how important Mike has been.
He has been the leader. I have been thinking and one part of why they traded him could be that now someone else needs to step up.

Mike has groomed Lauri this entire season. Has mentioned it in multiple interviews. If Lauri can take charge of the team as a vocal leader now, it might be the best thing coming out of this trade.

Gay and Clarkson need to be traded now. They can't finish the season here with that bad attitude. Let the young guys play hard and tank the rest of this year. Then go back to trying to make the playoffs and be good next year.

NAW was below THT in the depth chart for the past couple of weeks.
That is true. I was hoping that would change. There was one time this season where NAW was below THT on the depth chart and then jumped him. I was hoping for that to happen again.

Anyone know what Bojan would be worth right now in a trade? Would he be worth a 1st?

Cos if that’s the case then we should have held onto him…
Oh we definitely should have held on to him for a different trade than the one we made. I think everyone agrees about that.

I was hoping to wake up feeling better about this trade, but I still am trying to wrap my head around how Ainge agreed to this. I am fine with pushing the chips in on tanking, but the simple fact is we didn’t get nearly enough back for what we sent out on this trade.

I am also scratching my head about why we had to send seconds to anyone? Every guy we sent out was positive or at least neutral value, and we took on a bad contract in Russ.

I would have much preferred packaging Beasley/Vando for Toppin or something.

That is true. I was hoping that would change. There was one time this season where NAW was below THT on the depth chart and then jumped him. I was hoping for that to happen again.
Yeah, I feel naw has more upside. He's a better defender and sometimes looks like a decent passer. I guess jazz fo felt otherwise.

I was hoping to wake up feeling better about this trade, but I still am trying to wrap my head around how Ainge agreed to this. I am fine with pushing the chips in on tanking, but the simple fact is we didn’t get nearly enough back for what we sent out on this trade.

I am also scratching my head about why we had to send seconds to anyone? Every guy we sent out was positive or at least neutral value, and we took on a bad contract in Russ.

I would have much preferred packaging Beasley/Vando for Toppin or something.

Westbrook is not a bad contract. It’s the best expiring contract in the league and in the end he won’t even play a minute for us and we could save a little on his buyout.

Westbrook is not a bad contract. It’s the best expiring contract in the league and in the end he won’t even play a minute for us and we could save a little on his buyout.
It was certainly a “bad contract” for the Lakers, and we did them a favor taking it on, so why are we having to send out any picks here?

If we use the cap space created by taking on Russ to acquire more FRPs by taking on bad contracts this offseason, then I’ll feel better about it.

Obviously we are going to try to suck hard at least through next season to ensure we keep our 2024 pick, right?

It was certainly a “bad contract” for the Lakers, and we did them a favor taking it on, so why are we having to send out any picks here?

If we use the cap space created by taking on Russ to acquire more FRPs by taking on bad contracts this offseason, then I’ll feel better about it.

Obviously we are going to try to suck hard at least through next season to ensure we keep our 2024 pick, right?

I think we make the playoffs next season. This is a 26 game stealth tank. That is it.

With the Durant trade my new top cap space target is Cam Johnson. Nets are in a flux situation and I could see them doing a sign and trade if we throw some things their way