What's new

Would you trade ...

im not sold on jabari parker being a defensive stopper. Also he's going to be coming off 2 injured knees.(same knee?)

do you really gamble with that?
Lol, is anyone sold on jabari being a defensive stopper?

I think the Jazz are going to throw a max offer sheet at either Jabari or Aaron Gordon and see what happens. We'll see though.
It's pretty difficult for the Jazz to open up a max slot, which they have to do before a player signs an offer, without decimating the bench and renouncing rights to players they may want to keep. It's a pretty risky gamble, too. I think Orlando matches (if Gordon would even agree to sign an offer sheet with Utah). Milwaukee probably does, too.

We could actually send them JJ and Favors (like $24M) and take back only Crowder and Frye if they used their ~$6M Kyrie trade exception. That’d be a hell of a tax bill for them, though.

Would be nice because then we’d have a ~$10M trade exception.

ETA: **** Hayward, ***** Ainge and **** Bartelstein for not giving us a trade exception.
Don't think that can be done. IINM, exceptions can't be combined with other trade components, unless one (or more) of the salaries fits within the exception. So, for instance, Cavs could use the Kyrie exception on someone like Thabo or Jerebko.

A simple Favors for Crowder and Frye works. And gives Cleveland some tax relief.
The prized for Utah is obviously Crowder. Cleveland gets a push for the playoffs and salaries off the books for next season. The trade could expand if Cleveland wants another offensive threat (which they've been rumored as seeking).

Cavs acquire Favors, Burks, 2018 2nd round pick or lottery-protected 2019 1st round pick
Jazz acquire Crowder, Osman and Shumpert

Actually, I think the Cavs really like Osman. Maybe the trade has to be Favors and Hood for Osman, Crowder and Frye.

I like that trade for both teams. If Lebron leaves, Cavs can match for Hood, re-sign Favors and have the BKN pick to rebuild. Utah may not want to pay Hood a lot, especially with Mitchell now the starter. They need options at SF. Osman could even start, with Ingles a backup at either wing.

Last edited:
Don't think that can be done. IINM, exceptions can't be combined with other trade components, unless one (or more) of the salaries fits within the exception. So, for instance, Cavs could use the Kyrie exception on someone like Thabo or Jerebko.

A simple Favors for Crowder and Frye works. And gives Cleveland some tax relief.
The prized for Utah is obviously Crowder. Cleveland gets a push for the playoffs and salaries off the books for next season. The trade could expand if Cleveland wants another offensive threat (which they've been rumored as seeking).

Cavs acquire Favors, Burks, 2018 2nd round pick or lottery-protected 2019 1st round pick

Or Cavs get Favors and Thabo, 2nd round pick
Jazz get Crowder, Shumpert and Osman

I think Cleveland would be more interested in Thabo than Favors... basically I think they are building with one team in mind. I think they'd do something around Thabo for Shump and their first (not BKN)... salary would have to work obvi.

I keep hearing on the Jazz board that they would want Favors, but I don't think so at all.

I don't think they trade Crowder unless LeBron leaves next year.

Or Cavs get Favors and Thabo, 2nd round pick
Jazz get Crowder, Shumpert and Osman

Almost every team in the league, in the Cavs' financial hell, would do Favors for Frye and Crowder. They would consider it because tax ramifications this year and next. However, would LeBron be upset if you traded Crowder and Frye for just Favors? I don't think that is a very strong trade in his opinion. Cleveland can't make salary dump trades in LBJ's contract year.

I don't think the Cavs are interested in the second or third trades either. I think LeBron is smart enough to know that he is going to need as many Shumpert type players as possible in the playoffs to battle guys like Kyrie, Curry, Harden, Oladipo, etc.

The Cavs could part with Frye and Calderon with no hesitation. I also think Osman is expendable because he lacks the experience necessary to see the floor in the playoffs. So that leaves Crowder as the only question mark in terms of a trade. Does LBJ think he is necessary? Does IT really like Crowder and wants to keep him on the roster?

After saying all that, I think the most realistic trade is:

Favors for Frye, Calderon, Osman and the Cavs 2018 1st rounder

If necessary, Jazz could also trade Thabo to Cleveland for a future lottery protected 1st rounder. The Cavs have a trade exception big enough and you know they would love to have a guy like Thabo defensively.

I would love to get Crowder, but LeBron would really, really want JoeJ over Crowder for that to happen...

^
Well, they've been rumored to be interested in Gasol and DeAndre, but the asking price has been too high. Favors is definitely obtainable for the Cavs and would be reasaonably priced. And the selling point is that Favors would be a decent fit. The real problem in Utah is that both 5's are inside players. Cleveland doesn't have the problem; even if Favs plays with Love, Love can move out to the 3Pt line. And there aren't very many better backup 5's than Favors.

Shumpert and Frye are throw-away players at this point. Utah is not going to take back Shumpert's salary without getting a very good asset for doing so (Osman would be worth it, IMO). Otherwise, it prevents them from doing other moves in free agency.

If Cleveland wanted Thabo and Burks, that's doable. Cleveland gets depth/spot starters at the 2-4. Utah gets a player who needs a reset (Crowder), a prospect (Osman) and takes on a salary dump (Shumpert). Crowder and Osman would be better value than any players they could acquire in free agency.

Favors for Frye, Calderon, Osman and the Cavs 2018 1st rounder

If necessary, Jazz could also trade Thabo to Cleveland for a future lottery protected 1st rounder. The Cavs have a trade exception big enough and you know they would love to have a guy like Thabo defensively.

I would love to get Crowder, but LeBron would really, really want JoeJ over Crowder for that to happen...
Calderon is the only PG keeping things together for Cleveland. Shumpert had knee surgery and is out for 6-8 weeks. How effective will he be even when he returns?

I think Cleveland may wait to see if IT can return before making any trades. If Thomas is only a shell of himself, maybe they make a move for a PG. You know who might be a great fit in Cleveland passing to scorers? Rubio.

The answer is the Bucks wouldn't do it. They would require picks and/or players younger than anything the Jazz are getting them in the deal you posited.

It was cool seeing Jabari show he could be a poor man's Carmelo last season. A very poor man's.

^
Well, they've been rumored to be interested in Gasol and DeAndre, but the asking price has been too high. Favors is definitely obtainable for the Cavs and would be reasaonably priced. And the selling point is that Favors would be a decent fit. The real problem in Utah is that both 5's are inside players. Cleveland doesn't have the problem; even if Favs plays with Love, Love can move out to the 3Pt line. And there aren't very many better backup 5's than Favors.

Shumpert and Frye are throw-away players at this point. Utah is not going to take back Shumpert's salary without getting a very good asset for doing so (Osman would be worth it, IMO). Otherwise, it prevents them from doing other moves in free agency.

If Cleveland wanted Thabo and Burks, that's doable. Cleveland gets depth/spot starters at the 2-4. Utah gets a player who needs a reset (Crowder), a prospect (Osman) and takes on a salary dump (Shumpert). Crowder and Osman would be better value than any players they could acquire in free agency.

I think Gasol and DeAndre bring something significantly different than Tristan Thompson. Favs is a better shooter, but worse as a rim protector and offensive rebounder than Thompson. He's not different enough imo.

I'm not sure Draymond or Durant could guard either Gasol or DeAndre, but I've watched Dray eat Favs up.

I would really not be interested in trading Favors or Thabo to essentially pick up their draft pick. Rubio and JJ, on the other hand...

I would really not be interested in trading Favors or Thabo to essentially pick up their draft pick. Rubio and JJ, on the other hand...

I would trade Favors for Frye, Osman and their 2018 1st in a heartbeat. Favors is gone. Osman can be a decent 3 and the draft pick can be used in a number of ways. Losing Favors for nothing after all this effort and time to develop him would be a damn shame.

Honestly think that the Lakers are the best trade for the Jazz. In order for the Lakers to get enough money under the cap to give 2 max contracts (James and George) They have to move Clarkson and Deng. They have no draft picks to sweeten the deal so they are going to have to offer either Ingram or Kuzma to a team to take on those contracts. I think Kuzma is more ready to contribute now to help their roster and Ingram would be added. Hell I would throw in a first or 2 to obtain

Ingram
Clarkson
Deng
Randle

It was cool seeing Jabari show he could be a poor man's Carmelo last season. A very poor man's.
Lol

I guarantee you watched no games of Jabari unless they played the Jazz. He is not very poor man's Carmelo. Carmelo is an iso ball hog who tanks any team he is on. Jabari was a beast and he was very unselfish. He would have easily averaged over 30 if he was asked to. He was playing with Giannis who uses up most of the possesions.

Its amazing how little you know about Jabari's skills. Just pull up a youtube video or something bro. Its not hard.

Calderon is the only PG keeping things together for Cleveland. Shumpert had knee surgery and is out for 6-8 weeks. How effective will he be even when he returns?

I think Cleveland may wait to see if IT can return before making any trades. If Thomas is only a shell of himself, maybe they make a move for a PG. You know who might be a great fit in Cleveland passing to scorers? Rubio.
please please please let them be interested in Rubio

Jabari is not the new Jimmer in the sense that he is good at basketball, but he is the new Jimmer in the sense that I wish utah would stop creating fantastical trade scenarios where the Bucks give him away.

Honestly think that the Lakers are the best trade for the Jazz. In order for the Lakers to get enough money under the cap to give 2 max contracts (James and George) They have to move Clarkson and Deng. They have no draft picks to sweeten the deal so they are going to have to offer either Ingram or Kuzma to a team to take on those contracts. I think Kuzma is more ready to contribute now to help their roster and Ingram would be added. Hell I would throw in a first or 2 to obtain

Ingram
Clarkson
Deng
Randle

The Lakers have enough money right now to offer 1 max contract. And honestly, they aren't that far from being able to offer two. If they shed Clarkson, I think they could offer two max contracts and just keep Deng. Just imagine a Lonzo, Paul George, Ingram, Kuzma and best center available team. That's pretty strong. And if they can find a taker for Clarkson for an expiring, they could retain Randle if they want to. Hell, they could retain Randle as their starting center, go small, and be a playoff team next year with that roster. They could wait until Deng's contract isn't that bad and dump it with their first in the middle of next year. Then they could go after that 2nd big free agent in 2019.

If you're the Lakers, you would love to trade Clarkson and Deng, but they really just have to trade Clarkson. And considering our PG and scoring issues, I would consider a JoeJ or Favors for Clarkson trade at the deadline. Clarkson might not be the perfect fit, but he is a better asset than nothing and more than likely better than any player we could add in free agency in summer 2018.

Now for us, I think we should try to go after an Ingram/Deng deal at the deadline because you just never know if they decide to make the deal. They might value Clarkson more and know that Ingram is due a bigger payday before long. Just comes down to how impatient the front office is.

im not sold on jabari parker being a defensive stopper. Also he's going to be coming off 2 injured knees.(same knee?)

do you really gamble with that?
Lol, is anyone sold on jabari being a defensive stopper?

The Lakers have enough money right now to offer 1 max contract. And honestly, they aren't that far from being able to offer two. If they shed Clarkson, I think they could offer two max contracts and just keep Deng. Just imagine a Lonzo, Paul George, Ingram, Kuzma and best center available team. That's pretty strong. And if they can find a taker for Clarkson for an expiring, they could retain Randle if they want to. Hell, they could retain Randle as their starting center, go small, and be a playoff team next year with that roster. They could wait until Deng's contract isn't that bad and dump it with their first in the middle of next year. Then they could go after that 2nd big free agent in 2019.

If you're the Lakers, you would love to trade Clarkson and Deng, but they really just have to trade Clarkson. And considering our PG and scoring issues, I would consider a JoeJ or Favors for Clarkson trade at the deadline. Clarkson might not be the perfect fit, but he is a better asset than nothing and more than likely better than any player we could add in free agency in summer 2018.

Now for us, I think we should try to go after an Ingram/Deng deal at the deadline because you just never know if they decide to make the deal. They might value Clarkson more and know that Ingram is due a bigger payday before long. Just comes down to how impatient the front office is.

But they want more then just George they want Lebron and then the abilty to surround those 2 with the best possible players

After my trade the Lakers would have only 17 million in contracts for next year they could offer 3 max contracts

They would have a roster like this after signing LeBron and George

Ball, Ennis
George, Hart
James
Kuzma, Nance
Zubac, Thomas

with the max salaries as James and George they would be sitting at almost 80 million still 30 million away from the cap

They could nab say Favors who they traded for to play center and would be an amazing fit (with a smaller cap hold then Lopez)
I am not sure what they rule is for players that have their rights waived but if he could I am sure the KCP would sign with the Lakers again or even offer Chris Paul a 20 mil a year contract

Imagine

Paul, Ball, Ennis
George, Hart
James, Sefolosha (part of the Utah Trade)
Kuzma, Nance
Favors, Zubac, Thomas

That team would compete with the Warriors and all they would have to do is trade Ingram or Kuzma

I think George, Lebron, Kuzma and Ball definitely make LA a serious threat. And you know some vets likely follow LBJ at the minimum.