What's new

Wow. Cougar fans aren't going to like this......

“CHRISTIAN, n: One who believes that the New Testament is a divinely inspired book admirably suited to the spiritual needs of his neighbors.” (Ambrose Bierce)

Ha! Some dumbass Utah fan just bet me lunch that the Utes would finish in the top three in the Pac. I think I'm going to make him take me to Rodizio.

Looks to me like being Mormon isn't necessary, just abiding by their (BYU's) code of conduct. You're stretching here, Moe.

the list of moral virtues is fine, but I think the way it's worded as following those virtues "encompassed in the gospel of Jesus Christ" might be rather off-putting to those religious students of non-Christian backgrounds.

from the BYU website:
As a matter of personal commitment, faculty, administration, staff, and students of Brigham Young University, Brigham Young University—Hawaii, Brigham Young University—Idaho, and LDS Business College seek to demonstrate in daily living on and off campus those moral virtues encompassed in the gospel of Jesus Christ, and will

Be honest
Live a chaste and virtuous life
Obey the law and all campus policies
Use clean language
Respect others
Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, and substance abuse
Participate regularly in church services
Observe the Dress and Grooming Standards
Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code

the list of moral virtues is fine, but I think the way it's worded as following those virtues "encompassed in the gospel of Jesus Christ" might be rather off-putting to those religious students of non-Christian backgrounds.

from the BYU website:
As a matter of personal commitment, faculty, administration, staff, and students of Brigham Young University, Brigham Young University—Hawaii, Brigham Young University—Idaho, and LDS Business College seek to demonstrate in daily living on and off campus those moral virtues encompassed in the gospel of Jesus Christ, and will

Be honest
Live a chaste and virtuous life
Obey the law and all campus policies
Use clean language
Respect others
Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, and substance abuse
Participate regularly in church services
Observe the Dress and Grooming Standards
Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code
Only those that are looking for a reason to be offended or put-off.

just for comparison sake, I tried looking up clubs and activities on BYU's website to compare with what's listed for the University of Notre Dame. I could not even find a simple listing of these clubs and activities at BYU without logging-in, so I have no way of knowing if there is a Muslim Student Organization, or a Jewish Student Organization or any similar organizations found on other college campuses, such as Notre Dame:
https://byusa.byu.edu/clubs-0
To find out more about the clubs at BYU click here.
(goes to a "log-in" page - as far as I can tell, a casual observer has no way to determine if there is indeed a club that meets their interest)

from Notre Dame's website, just the section on "multi-cultural clubs"
https://www.nd.edu/~msps/clubs.htm

MSPS strongly encourages student involvement with student organizations. The Notre Dame community is fortunate to have 23 different multicultural student clubs that contribute to diversity efforts on campus. Each multicultural club receives assistance from MSPS in the form of student leadership opportunities and support with educational and cultural programming.

also: https://www.nd.edu/~sao/studentgroups/listing/religious.shtml
includes a list of clubs of a religious nature, including:
Jewish Club of Notre Dame
The purpose of JCND will be to celebrate diversity and acceptance within the Notre Dame community and beyond by learning together through discussion and events. JCND will work towards its goals by:
A. Coordinating bi-monthly meetings to address pertinent issues and plan upcoming events, taking place in an informal environment with nourishing snacks to facilitate a welcoming, comfortable, and open atmosphere, and
B. Attending planned club events, as well as community events of interest to the club.
If you would like more information about this club, please e-mail jcnd.

Muslim Student Association
The purpose of the MSA shall be to serve the best interests of Islam and Muslims in the Notre Dame community by:
1. Helping Muslims carry out Islamic activities in pursuance of Islam as a complete way of life;
2. Carrying on religious, social, civic, charitable, literary, athletic, scientific research, and other Islamic activities;
3. Promoting friendly relations and understanding between Muslims and non-Muslims;
4. Upholding the high ideals of Islam based on the concepts of brotherhood, harmony, tolerance, and egalitarianism.

now, I'm not saying these clubs don't exist at BYU, but it does seem rather strange to me that I can't even find a simple list of clubs & organizations at BYU without having to create or be assigned a "log-in"

Ha! Some dumbass Utah fan just bet me lunch that the Utes would finish in the top three in the Pac. I think I'm going to make him take me to Rodizio.

I'm starting to broker out bets with Ute fans as well. Too bad the fans that I meet outside of the Internet realm seem to understand that SC is going to roll them every year. Then again, these guys aren't from Salt Lake.

Last edited:
I'm starting to broker out bets with Ute fans as well. Too bad the fans that I meet outside of the Internet realm seem to understand that SC is going to roll them every year. Then again, these guys aren't from Salt Lake.

You mean the way USC rolled them last time they played?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Las_Vegas_Bowl

With a new coach and a bunch of NCAA sanctions, I laugh at anyone saying USC will automatically roll Utah every year.

USC had a record of 37–35 from 1996 to 2001. So lets not pretend they are automatically going to dominate everyone. Pete Carrol put them on top (and we now know that it wasn't such a clean program) but he is not there anymore.

USC is not the same program that dominated the last several years. They better hope they can at least be the mediocre program they were in the 90's. That is about as good as they can hope for with the NCAA sanctions, even if the coach turns out to be great. If the coach isn't any good, they better hope they can be mediocre after the sanctions, and not flat out suck.

If Nebraska and Notre Dame can be mediocre or even suck, then USC certainly can too. UCLA should be proof enough that being from LA doesn't guarantee dominance. Heck, USC of the 90's also proves it.

WARNING WARNING WARNING ------------------DO NOT READ THIS POST IF YOU GET OFFENDED EASILY!----------------------WARNING WARNING WARNING

Throw Texas into that mix. Mack Brown came in to save that program. I can't imagine Texas not being good, but one day they will fall. It's the way of the life.

WARNING WARNING WARNING ------------------DO NOT READ THIS POST IF YOU GET OFFENDED EASILY!----------------------WARNING WARNING WARNING

Are you really risking your Celestial Kingdom spot over UTE FANS???

Ute fans, our tactics are working. repeat, our tactics are working. :p

It's laughable that any Ute or Coug fan thinks they know what it's gonna look like two seasons down the road.

It's laughable that any Ute or Coug fan thinks they know what it's gonna look like two seasons down the road.

Well BYU and Utah are at least running with good (proven) coaches, and respectable programs. If nothing changes, you can expect that they will be at least pretty good, as they are now and have been for several years.

USC, on the other hand, has a brand new coach and a bunch of NCAA sanctions. It's basically a brand new program that will be starting next year. I don't see how anyone can bet on them several years out (right now.)

USC had a record of 37–35 from 1996 to 2001. So lets not pretend they are automatically going to dominate everyone.
And in that same time, Utah had a record of 40-26. So let's not pretend Utah is going to automatically dominate.
USC is not the same program that dominated the last several years. They better hope they can at least be the mediocre program they were in the 90's. That is about as good as they can hope for with the NCAA sanctions, even if the coach turns out to be great. If the coach isn't any good, they better hope they can be mediocre after the sanctions, and not flat out suck.
I'd agree with this. Nobody knows what they'll be like during or after the sanctions (which were just cut in half, BTW).

If Nebraska and Notre Dame can be mediocre or even suck, then Utah certainly can too. Heck, Utah of the 80's also proves it.

Fixed that part for ya.