What's new

Wow, Gordan Hayward!

Let's not overreact here. One good game in December of a rookie season probably means nothing.

I will now prove my point:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200812260UTA.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn1_f1oHOSA

Point taken, but I wouldn't say this is just one good performance. Granted it's the best scoring we've seen from Hayward, but he's been playing better for at least the past week or two now. He's shown hustle, defense, passing, and rebounding. I've been impressed with the kid. Tonight was just the icing on the cake. I think we'll be seeing more good play from Hayward going forward.

Hayward is showing Sloan a lot; he CAN bounce back after a bad start. As did much of the rest of the team. I's IMPORTANT for a kid to keep his head in the game on BOTH ends of the court and not get down on himself when things aren't going his way. Hayward seems to do that very well, which will earn him more minutes as the season unfolds.

Let's not overreact here. One good game in December of a rookie season probably means nothing.

.....exactly! Let's see how he plays tonight in Portland. If the Jazz lose by 20 and Hayward has 3 points on 1-8 shooting with 3 turnovers and 5 fouls....then he's back at square one. I'm more interested in seeing how Deron is going to respond. He needs a solid game as point guard....and by that I mean 25 points, 12 assists and only 2 turnovers! If he has 7 assists and 6 turnovers again....then he's back at square one!

I agree that Hayward is showing progressive improvement. Before last night, he was playing good defense and working well within the offensive system, just wasn't making shots. Did you see that block of Gordon on the break that was called goal tending? He really got up there. It was an AK type of block. I think we're seeing good signs.

Something oldtimer will never hear, nor has he ever heard; but Hayward . . . he's TOO BIG YO!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHTey3uHFDE

suicide.jpg

I hope that wasn't really you.

He played the entire second half. He finally got his shot to start going. Once that happened, the Jazz took over the game. If Gordon can play like this consistently, the Jazz can be nearly unbeatable. Memo was huge in the first half, too. I had forgotten how much I missed him. Just think, we were playing this game without C.J. AND AK. This team has the potential to be crazy good. If we can avoid the Spurs and the Mavericks until the conference finals, we might win the West this season. We are BETTER than the Lakers this year. I actually have more confidence in the Jazz when they play on the road than when they play at home. How crazy is that to think? The Jazz have ALWAYS struggled on the road and been a great home team. It is the exact opposite this season. Here's a question: should Gordon be inserted into the starting lineup permanently when AK comes back? Translation: should Raja be moved to the bench?

I know, like, totally, like, when I saw the box score this morning, like, I totally ran straight to the window and looked to see if the moon, like, totally turned to blood, ya know? Like, I was like, totally, like, is this the Second Coming or what?

images

I like Hayward, and I think he has some great upside, but he had a good second half against the clippers.

Let's postpone the coronation for now.

Kicky, your point is noted but we're not talking about a kid who got lucky on some put-backs or from a solid pass by Deron. Bigs like Koufos can have such things happen and get 10 points before you know it. Not Hardwood though. He earned his points so to speak and shows an infinitely higher skill level, relatively speaking, than Boom Bitches.

Good enough. Trade CJ now!! Do it KOC ya pansy.

OP was right about Fesenko. Jazz never would have been in the game without him, especially with his block on Griffin, he turned the game around.
Hayward had 2 blocks that the refs stole from him. You could see his shooting form just transform as he stayed in the game.
I thought I liked Griffin seeing him on highlight reels, but seeing him in a whole game, my opinion of him dropped considerably. What a baby. Another star that whines on every play, and it works, as the officials went out of their way to make him happy. Luckily Hayward and Jefferson started shooting great. Hopefully this is now the norm for them.

Griffin whines because he's a great player on a terrible team, but he's young...

I disagree with the OP. I thought Hayward played better than Jefferson in the first quarter. He missed shots, but he was very active in all other respects. Then both he and Jefferson turned their games around big time. I hope it is the start of something good for Gordon.