What's new

You're the GM this offseason. What do you do?

I wouldn't be too much against Dragic. If I had to guess, Miami might trade him in order to alleviate their tax bill. If everybody picks up their option, Miami has $140 million in salaries. So if they could dump Dragic ($19 million) for a retiring Korver ($3.4 million) and let's say a 2nd rounder, that saves them a ton of luxury tax money.

In this worse case scenario (worse than getting a prime free agent), we could add Dragic and keep Favors. It isn't perfect, but I think we are better with Dragic than with Rubio.
Given their salary situation, would it be possible to get a bit more than a 2nd round pick out of them?

What asset is going to be a proven top notch defensive player who gets along great with our coaching staff and star Donovan while also being able to hit close to 40% from 3?

Royce is a key part to our future as either a starter or one of the first guys off the bench. There is no reason to trade him.

Agreed. The Jazz wouldn't get an asset of equivalent value at his current price point. Assuming the Jazz don't lowball Rolls, he'll probably re-sign at a reasonable deal as well.

I wouldn't be too much against Dragic. If I had to guess, Miami might trade him in order to alleviate their tax bill. If everybody picks up their option, Miami has $140 million in salaries. So if they could dump Dragic ($19 million) for a retiring Korver ($3.4 million) and let's say a 2nd rounder, that saves them a ton of luxury tax money.

In this worse case scenario (worse than getting a prime free agent), we could add Dragic and keep Favors. It isn't perfect, but I think we are better with Dragic than with Rubio.

I can see that. Question is does losing Rubio, Ekpe, and Thabo's capholds put them far enough under the cap to make that deal?

I can see that. Question is does losing Rubio, Ekpe, and Thabo's capholds put them far enough under the cap to make that deal?

Without Korver, we would have around $40 million in cap space. If we pick up Favors ($18), we have around $22 in space. So yes, we could pick up Favors and acquire Dragic ($19) for Korver ($3.44) and still be under the cap.

I don't love that, but I like it more than Conley. With Dragic, Favors and still having our 2020 1st and other future 1sts, it's conceivable that we might actually do a deadline trade using massive expiring contracts. We haven't done it in the past, but maybe, finally, this would be the year we would.

Given their salary situation, would it be possible to get a bit more than a 2nd round pick out of them?

Considering their salary situation, I think Miami will be doing some dealing. Miami has already traded their 2021 pick so it is very unlikely that we could do a trade where we get a pick from them anytime soon since 2020 and 2022 couldn't be traded. I would love to get Justise Winslow from them, but that's going to be tough. We would probably have to take back Olynyk and maybe even James Johnson or Waiters too. I would strongly consider it.

Miami deals:

Dragic for Korver and 2nd rounders - Miami gets under the luxury. Maybe they can do better, but there aren't many teams out there able to give Miami $15 million of salary savings without demanding a pick back.

Winslow, Olynyk, and Johnson for Korver and 2nd rounders - Miami gets under the luxury AND they don't have to pay Olynyk and Johnson $27 million for 2020-21. This deal really cleans out Miami's terrible contracts while giving them the chance to go spending in summer 2020.

Without Korver, we would have around $40 million in cap space. If we pick up Favors ($18), we have around $22 in space. So yes, we could pick up Favors and acquire Dragic ($19) for Korver ($3.44) and still be under the cap.

I don't love that, but I like it more than Conley. With Dragic, Favors and still having our 2020 1st and other future 1sts, it's conceivable that we might actually do a deadline trade using massive expiring contracts. We haven't done it in the past, but maybe, finally, this would be the year we would.

Thanks. My math was a bit funky on that, but I see where I was wrong.

Conley>>>Dragic and Favors

Agree, but not sure we have the goods. When Kyrie leaves Boston I think they push some assets to the middle and beat our offer. Maybe they go for younger options though.

Another thing we could do with some extra cap space is re-negotiate and extend Royce. Pay a little more this year and get a discount on other years. Philly did this with Covington this year... we talked about doing it with Favs the year we acquired Hill, but he had some health struggles.

If we carved about $7-8M in extra space after we have done or other business you can give that to Royce and then add onto his contract, but you can have it decline at 40% discount from the $8-9M it starts at this year... so could offer him 4/22M but give him 8M this year then $5M for the 3 additional years.

Just something to consider since our cap space likely isn't as valuable as we hope.

Dragic had a pretty bad season.

Not a fan rn, hes 33, a backup would be alright maybe, but i used go reAlly like him when he was on the suns, was a total beast.

If we acquire another mid-level declining PG in his 30s on a one-year terrible deal then I'm kind of done with this front office

I think "let's make moves that enable us to keep Favors" is conceptualizing this all wrong, which is what the Dragic move seems. We're handicapping our ability to improve.

I wonder what the price would be to acquire Dragic and if he has anything left. If he was part two of our offseason plan I might be cool with that. Just adding Dragic and keeping favs would be fairly sad imo.

I really need it to be July 1 so we can see how this does(n’t) come together.

Can we get that Cook kid from GS? They stack shooters on there team and he seems to be a good one with great potential for our team!