What's new

2014 Draft Combine

I like him too but I thought he was going to be more of a SF than a SG. If the Jazz keep Hayward and have Alec at the SG how does this guy get minutes. I think he will have problems guarding SF. I would still take him if he is best available but I like Daniels (Uconn) or Warren (NCS). For all you Stauskas lovers, dude needs to get his body fat down. 12 percent is petty high for an NBA athlete who plays SG.

Winners:

-Gotta say Payne is the biggest winner. He measured taller than Favors barefoot with the same wingspan and reach. Probably as athletic. Oh he can shoot the three too? I am no longer against him at 23 (even though that is his age).

-Lavine is legit SG size at near 6'6" in shoes. Still a risky pick that would take long to realize, but more justifiable now.

-KJ McDaniels gained almost 2 inches in wingspan and is now an elite sized SG I'd say. Easy to see how he blocked almost 3 shots a game. Would be hard to pass on at 23.

-Tyler Ennis is a little taller and much longer in wingspan than previous thought (6'7.25" compared to earlier 6'5"). That helps explain his pretty insane steal rate at Syracuse.

Losers:

-Jerami Grant had some rumors he would measure over 6'9" in shoes but is quite small at 6'7.75". He has good athleticism and wingspan, but a very skinny frame. I think he ends up a tweener. Do not want!

-Shabazz Napier is really small. Closer to DJ Augustin than Trey Burke.

-Gary Harris came in smaller than expected. Would be one of the smallest SGs in the league now and has miniscule 8' standing reach (tanked maybe for higher vertical score?).

These are all I think radically hurt/helped themselves. Overall it was a great showing, and we still have the eurocamp in a month. Wish the Jazz had 4 picks!

But the player that plays in 1" shoes is going to be measured in 3" shoes if that's the only measurement. All of a sudden a 6'1" guard becomes 6'4" - and his draft position just went up quite a few notches.

Exactly this. It's all about agents marketing the players. A 6'10" Kevin Love/power forward is more valuable than if he's perceived as 6'8", or a 6'9" Durant is seen as speedier and more versatile than if they pushed his height to 6'11". Barefoot combine numbers are necessary to give some baseline before agents out their spin on everything.

So now that the measurements are out, the one glaring reality is that most players lie about their height. I know they play in shoes, but the next time someone asks me how tall I am, I will just add an inch or two like NBA players. Look at Smart, the Kid is just a tad over 6'3" in shoes which in my opinion pretty much eliminates him from playing SG except maybe as a backup.

You guys who claim this is the reason that you need a barefoot measurement, miss the point. If player wears A 1" shoe and player B wears a 3" shoe and they are list both listed at 6'9", it doesn't matter what they are barefoot because they are both playing the game at 6'9". Sure when they hop in bed at night, player A is 6'8" and player B is 6'6", but none of that matters for the purposes of basketball. On the basketball court, they are both 6'9".

Knowing the barefoot measurements is also important for evaluating a player's body, like body fat, body proportions and the body composition.

Plus, even the strength of a player becomes questionable if he is wearing 3" shoes. I wouldn't think a 6'6" barefoot player with 3" shoes all of a sudden becomes to be able to defend a 6'9" barefoot player. Shoes are not that great yet, if I know anything about them.

Outside the top-4, I think Vonleh and Randle have to be the favorites for the Jazz pick. Or maybe even ahead of Exum if they stay at #4. All comes down to the individual workouts. If anything, I'm more at ease now if the Jazz happen to fall one or two spots. At six, we get no worse than Vonleh or Randle. I can live with that!

why did Aaron Gordon not get his hands measured?

Fabtrey does he have small hands?

always assumed he didn't have big hands because

1. his hands doesn't look big in games an in pictures
2. when he dunks with 1 hand he does. pretty much all of his dunks i think
AGgame2.jpg

AaronGordonSite.jpg

pretty much sure he doesn't have MJ, Vince carter hands.
dude with big hands does this alot in games
mjproves.jpg

but i'm not sure if gordon's hand is any smaller than randle's handsize. 8.25 width? are you kidding me? i'm 6ft 1 and i have bigger hands than him. and i don't have big hands. his is little longer, but i'm actually wider than a 6ft 8 guy. get your ruler out and see how small 8 1/4 wide really is

Winners:

-Gotta say Payne is the biggest winner. He measured taller than Favors barefoot with the same wingspan and reach. Probably as athletic. Oh he can shoot the three too? I am no longer against him at 23 (even though that is his age).

-Lavine is legit SG size at near 6'6" in shoes. Still a risky pick that would take long to realize, but more justifiable now.

-KJ McDaniels gained almost 2 inches in wingspan and is now an elite sized SG I'd say. Easy to see how he blocked almost 3 shots a game. Would be hard to pass on at 23.

-Tyler Ennis is a little taller and much longer in wingspan than previous thought (6'7.25" compared to earlier 6'5"). That helps explain his pretty insane steal rate at Syracuse.

Losers:

-Jerami Grant had some rumors he would measure over 6'9" in shoes but is quite small at 6'7.75". He has good athleticism and wingspan, but a very skinny frame. I think he ends up a tweener. Do not want!

-Shabazz Napier is really small. Closer to DJ Augustin than Trey Burke.

-Gary Harris came in smaller than expected. Would be one of the smallest SGs in the league now and has miniscule 8' standing reach (tanked maybe for higher vertical score?).

These are all I think radically hurt/helped themselves. Overall it was a great showing, and we still have the eurocamp in a month. Wish the Jazz had 4 picks!

Depending on how the lottery shakes out, I think that Vonleh helped himself into the top 6, and for me, Exum moved up because he has legit SG size and elite PG size. I think Gordon helped himself out in comparison to Randal measuring out at the same length, whereas Randal didn't drop too far because he is the proper size for a power forward. Biggest loser had to be Smart who should be out of the top 7 as long as teams are not drafting on need. Depending upon workouts, Vonleh could easily move himself into the top 4.

That's a fair point, but even if they play in a shoe 1/4" higher or lower, it's a more accurate height than whatever they are bare foot.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

another problem with w/ shoe measurement is that you can cheat.

insert one of these with zoom bag in it. that's another 1/4"+ to your height
Air-Jordan-2012-Year-of-the-Dragon-Fly-Around-Midsole.jpg

See, if I ran the NBA I would acquire a sponsorship for the combine shoe measurement and all of the candidates would wear the same shoes just for the measurement. 6'9", 6'11 in Nike Air Max 90's. You're welcome, Silver!

So, safe to say KJ is the player with the most upside that might be available at 23?

Why don't we just draft Shabazz Napier and put him in 6 inch shoes to play SF. PG skills with SF height. Granted the standing reach and weight are low, but he makes up for it with quickness!

So, safe to say KJ is the player with the most upside that might be available at 23?

I still like Lavine: best combination of explosive athleticism, good measurements for a backcourt player and confident shooting touch. There's real upside here, especially up-tempo.

I still like Lavine: best combination of explosive athleticism, good measurements for a backcourt player and confident shooting touch. There's real upside here, especially up-tempo.

I like him alot too

If Vonleh shoots and handles well in drills, he could find himself in the top 5.

I thought his stock would probably fall with how he measured. There was nothing special about his measurements, plus Vonleh and smart showed they had some different elite length.

If Jazz don't draft a PF with their first pick, they should try to combine their other two to move up for Payne - if they can. It's going to be difficult to move into the late teens in this draft. Lot of value.