What's new

Donovan refuses to say whether or not he wants to be in Utah moving forward

Jazz aren't going to trade Mitchell if he asks out, or even if he throws a fit, and I don't think Mitchell is the type of guy who would take it to the point that he'd start tanking and throw a fit. Jazz will convince him to let them re-build the team around him for a season or two.

Jazz are currently in the same situation that Houston was in when Harden was being asked to do too much and he kept flaming out in the postseason. Houston made a few good moves and opened a window to contend.

Can we all just be honest with ourselves that Donovan has good reason to want out? This team isn’t gonna go anywhere but down.
Largely due to his performance and effort on defense and all the drama and divide he caused over the last 2 years in the team.

I still don't see the reason why you have to trade both immediately if you trade one. I have zero delusions about Don being a Jazz player after his contract. It's not a possibility I factor into any of my calculations....and I still don't see why it's better for Don to be traded immediately versus one year later, for example. Let's say the Jazz trade Rudy for some kind of ATL package and John Collins (or insert any player we'd receive for Rudy) becomes a real star player. Unlikely, but not unfeasible. If you had already traded Don, you'd feel really stupid just like if you traded Gobert just because Hayward left. If the likely scenario happens and we're just mediocre, you can very easily trade Don at that point. I don't think he loses any value.

Having one star player is a stronger position than having zero because you can always trade that star player for the future assets.
You don’t have to I just think it’s so much better. You trade Rudy for established win now players with low likelihood of working out and then a year later Donovan asks out… don’s value slides unless he improves because there is one year less on his deal… there’s also the chance of catastrophic injury and his value craters… but let’s say that doesn’t happen… and let’s say they win 45 games and he asks out… now you need to cash in on him, Collins, and whatever other established pieces for future facing pieces. In a Rudy trade you may have gotten a better package a year ago if you had gone the prospects and picks route.

Then you also lose out on cashing in on one or two of the established pieces already on the roster. You miss out on any value by taking on less desirable contracts… you miss out on landing a top 5 pick in a really good draft.

It has a low likelihood of working out as you stated… and even if you win say 50+ and end up in the second round… are we sure Don says he would rather stick around.

To keep its like knowing you need knee surgery on both knees… Doc says he can do both now and you rehab for 6 months… or he can do one you can rehab for 6 months then he can do the other and you can rehab for 6 months. Having one good leg might provide some quality of life that is slightly better… there is a small chance maybe the other knee doesn’t end up needing surgery… but it’s very likely at some point both knees need to be done. I’d do them both at the same time… others might not.

I can see the benefits to each path… my preference is very much to move hard in the one direction I feel is inevitable. Good luck convincing a guy to stay… good luck making moves that are simultaneously good for the franchise and appease a star player.

The best competitive path is to keep them both… the best rebuild path is to trade them both… pick a direction.

Jazz aren't going to trade Mitchell if he asks out, or even if he throws a fit, and I don't think Mitchell is the type of guy who would take it to the point that he'd start tanking and throw a fit. Jazz will convince him to let them re-build the team around him for a season or two.

Jazz are currently in the same situation that Houston was in when Harden was being asked to do too much and he kept flaming out in the postseason. Houston made a few good moves and opened a window to contend.
Donovan isn’t as good as Harden was though… and the moves they ended up making the last couple years are going to bite them in the *** hard as they try to rebuild. No thanks signing up for that.

I mean the Rockets are a perfect example of why this is a bad idea. Decided to break up two stars that didn’t get along…. Ended up giving up a ton of draft assets in a desperate move… and then Harden asked out a year later.

**** that… I ain’t signing up for the Rockets Westbrook year.

I mean the Rockets are a perfect example of why this is a bad idea. Decided to break up two stars that didn’t get along…. Ended up giving up a ton of draft assets in a desperate move… and then Harden asked out a year later.

**** that… I ain’t signing up for the Rockets Westbrook year.
We don't need to get another star when we trade Rudy. We need to get multiple good players with potential while also changing our system to reflect a more normal playoff defense.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

We don't need to get another star when we trade Rudy. We need to get multiple good players with potential while also changing our system to reflect a more normal playoff defense.

Yes lots of teams with one all star and a bunch of good players will take down the teams with multiple super stars or multiple all stars… or we will end up being a slightly different version of what we currently are (on the high end) and Donovan still asks out. Or we end up being worse and Donovan asks out.

Basically the only scenario I don’t see a trade request coming from Donovan is he struggles and realizes we are his best chance for a bigger payday. If that happens we aren’t good.

Yes lots of teams with one all star and a bunch of good players will take down the teams with multiple super stars or multiple all stars… or we will end up being a slightly different version of what we currently are (on the high end) and Donovan still asks out. Or we end up being worse and Donovan asks out.

Basically the only scenario I don’t see a trade request coming from Donovan is he struggles and realizes we are his best chance for a bigger payday. If that happens we aren’t good.
It's a start. Playing the right way is actually the start. We need to play switching basketball with the ability to go small often. When Don can attack the rim in an unclogged lane, he's one of the best scorers in the NBA. He's one of the best scorers anyway.

We need to give that a year. A season. Next summer, we got money. We try to add a big piece. If next season ends in disappointment or we can't build any better, we then trade Don. We can at least say we tried. Don is still under contract for two years and is only 25. He has as much value next summer as he has now.

Maximize Rudy in a trade. Get two good starters. Keep trading. Go from there.

What’s the best case realistic scenario for a Rudy trade?

Gary Trent Jr and OG Anunoby?

It's a start. Playing the right way is actually the start. We need to play switching basketball with the ability to go small often. When Don can attack the rim in an unclogged lane, he's one of the best scorers in the NBA. He's one of the best scorers anyway.

We need to give that a year. A season. Next summer, we got money. We try to add a big piece. If next season ends in disappointment or we can't build any better, we then trade Don. We can at least say we tried. Don is still under contract for two years and is only 25. He has as much value next summer as he has now.

Maximize Rudy in a trade. Get two good starters. Keep trading. Go from there.

I’m fine with some of the ideology here but the issue comes when you realize we have zero switchable wings… Don is not switchable either… if we acquire some switchable wings we won’t have money the following year.

Donovan loses value one year from now for sure… we can’t just say with one year less on his contract he has the same value… it doesn’t work that way. Maybe he doesn’t lose a ton of value but unless he
makes a huge leap he loses value… and maybe significant value as people will think he’s hit his ceiling or see his limitations on winning without Rudy.

I’m fine with people saying we should retool… I just think we have to acknowledge the degree of difficulty and the most likely scenario is he still wants out.

I’m fine with some of the ideology here but the issue comes when you realize we have zero switchable wings… Don is not switchable either… if we acquire some switchable wings we won’t have money the following year.

Donovan loses value one year from now for sure… we can’t just say with one year less on his contract he has the same value… it doesn’t work that way. Maybe he doesn’t lose a ton of value but unless he
makes a huge leap he loses value… and maybe significant value as people will think he’s hit his ceiling or see his limitations on winning without Rudy.

I’m fine with people saying we should retool… I just think we have to acknowledge the degree of difficulty and the most likely scenario is he still wants out.
I think our system is a lot more flawed than people want to admit. It creates some fools gold for the regular the season but clearly fails come playoff time. Our #1 offense can't score. Our amazing defense gets torched.

As for switching wings, I think we can make due. We will struggle a little, but I think we will make our way. Guys like Rudy Gay, Jeff Green and others have tanked here because they don't adapt to our system. Who knows, maybe guys we already have will fair better in a normal system.

As for Don, I don't think he loses much value at all after a year as long as he avoids injury. NBA teams are notorious for keeping faith in players.

What’s the best case realistic scenario for a Rudy trade?

Gary Trent Jr and OG Anunoby?
Honestly the Charlotte deal depending on what we get is the one that feels the most realistic and gives us a chance to pop. Hayward is good if healthy… we may not keep him but he’s movable for say Malcolm Brogdon or maybe like Tobias Harris or something.

If you get PJ Washington he helps play 5 out and may have a leap in development.The 13 and 15th picks give you two chances to get something that pops… they aren’t great chances but there are hits in that range so like a 25% chance you land a good starter.

The Hollinger deal mentioned other future picks but I think that’s not happening… I do think you could get McDaniels who I love and is the type of player we need. He may have a leap coming too…

So that deal gives you a solid floor and a bunch of whatifs that have upside… what if Hayward stays healthy, the 13th/15th pick hits, Washington takes a good step forward in a contract year, McDaniels becomes a valuable starter level two way wing. The floor is those guys are all useable and maybe the prospects suck.

I think our system is a lot more flawed than people want to admit. It creates some fools gold for the regular the season but clearly fails come playoff time. Our #1 offense can't score. Our amazing defense gets torched.

As for switching wings, I think we can make due. We will struggle a little, but I think we will make our way. Guys like Rudy Gay, Jeff Green and others have tanked here because they don't adapt to our system. Who knows, maybe guys we already have will fair better in a normal system.

As for Don, I don't think he loses much value at all after a year as long as he avoids injury. NBA teams are notorious for keeping faith in players.

I acknowledge the flaws of Rudy against good teams… “system” teams tend to struggle at times in the playoffs and that is why stars take over and win… my worry is we might be a system team because the guys aren’t good enough.

I’d probably be okay with just trading Rudy so long as the assets are forward facing. I don’t think Mike has a ton of value and Bogey is more valuable as a player than a trade chip imo. JC and Royce are okayish assets so whatevs. I just think the chances of it working in the next 12-18 months are very low and I do feel there is a significant opportunity cost.

I acknowledge the flaws of Rudy against good teams… “system” teams tend to struggle at times in the playoffs and that is why stars take over and win… my worry is we might be a system team because the guys aren’t good enough.

I’d probably be okay with just trading Rudy so long as the assets are forward facing. I don’t think Mike has a ton of value and Bogey is more valuable as a player than a trade chip imo. JC and Royce are okayish assets so whatevs. I just think the chances of it working in the next 12-18 months are very low and I do feel there is a significant opportunity cost.
I would go for:

Rudy to Charlotte
Hayward to Indiana
Brogdon, Washington, Plumlee and picks to Utah

Then flip Conley and the picks from Charlotte to Detroit for Jerami Grant

Brogdon
Don
Grant
Bojan
Plumlee
Clarkson
Royce
Washington
Doke
NAW
Butler

You don’t have to I just think it’s so much better. You trade Rudy for established win now players with low likelihood of working out and then a year later Donovan asks out… don’s value slides unless he improves because there is one year less on his deal… there’s also the chance of catastrophic injury and his value craters… but let’s say that doesn’t happen… and let’s say they win 45 games and he asks out… now you need to cash in on him, Collins, and whatever other established pieces for future facing pieces. In a Rudy trade you may have gotten a better package a year ago if you had gone the prospects and picks route.

Uhh...I'm struggling to understand the points made here. I don't understand why Don's value slides outside of an injury. His value doesn't slide if the team wins less, that's not how trade value has ever worked for star players. If you're going to make the argument that Don as an individual player looks better because Rudy made him look better (good screens)....I suppose that could be true, but there's also a chance Donovan improves as a player and increases his value. Don had a good year this season, but the championship expectation and magnifier glass on his defense did not help his stock. A team without much expectation is ideal for his trade value.

The second part is what I really don't understand though. You need to trade the package you get for Rudy again? Huh??? Why does that happen because you didn't trade Don? I just used John Collings as an example because I think ATL is the most likely trade destination, but you can insert any trade package there. If you look at any of the rumored teams, they almost exclusively playoff teams and we're unlikely to get a package with more distant future type assets....but that is independent of our decision to trade Mitchell.

Then you also lose out on cashing in on one or two of the established pieces already on the roster. You miss out on any value by taking on less desirable contracts… you miss out on landing a top 5 pick in a really good draft.

I don't think it does. I think the well established players on the roster should be moved even if both are back, but if you just traded Rudy there's really no reason why you can't do any of the above outside of tanking immediately (tanking is a permanent, standing option that is always available).

It has a low likelihood of working out as you stated… and even if you win say 50+ and end up in the second round… are we sure Don says he would rather stick around.
It is a low likelihood of working out. I don't think Don will stay in that scenario, maybe he asks out a year later. But the option of trading him is still there at that time. Like I said, I think it's incredibly unlikely that his value drops. That just doesn't happen when it comes to stars being traded. I don't see examples of this. Even in situations where it is brutally obvious that players will be traded, teams have waited it out and it's worked out for them. The Pelicans had Anthony Davis with one year left and could basically only trade him to one team, and yet they still got maximum value from. Don's value dropping is not a concern for me, and I actually think you're more likely to get a better deal by waiting to see what offers you get over a longer period of time. Even if you don't think Don is going to finish out his contract here, hold that leverage against teams as long as you can. If you commit to trading him this summer, I'm really not sure that means you get the best deal. In fact, I'd be surprised if you did. Wait for the godfather offer.

Whatever small chance there is of things working out well with Don, I'd take that given that the opportunity cost is simply trading him later.

To keep its like knowing you need knee surgery on both knees… Doc says he can do both now and you rehab for 6 months… or he can do one you can rehab for 6 months then he can do the other and you can rehab for 6 months. Having one good leg might provide some quality of life that is slightly better… there is a small chance maybe the other knee doesn’t end up needing surgery… but it’s very likely at some point both knees need to be done. I’d do them both at the same time… others might not.

I can see the benefits to each path… my preference is very much to move hard in the one direction I feel is inevitable. Good luck convincing a guy to stay… good luck making moves that are simultaneously good for the franchise and appease a star player.

The best competitive path is to keep them both… the best rebuild path is to trade them both… pick a direction.

I don't agree with this analogy. The end goal in your scenario is to get healthy, but getting rid of Don and Rudy is not the equivalent of getting healthy. In other words, trading Mitchell and Gobert is not success, getting two players of their caliber is success. Logically, surgery would imply that it would leave your knee's healthy. But if you trade Mitchell and Gobert, getting a player of their caliber is not likely.

I think you have a better shot of getting two stars by keeping one and using whatever you get in trade for the other. But what makes this a clear decision for me is that if that plan fails, the other plan is still available. You can always be bad, but you can't always have Donovan Mitchell. If Donovan Mitchell decides he doesn't want to be here, it is incredibly easy to be bad but not easy to get another Donovan Mitchell just because you're bad. That's why I think having Mitchell is a much stronger position. You essentially keep both options open for very little risk.

If you get the godfather offer for Mitchell today, of course you take it. I wouldn't say he's unavailable for trade...but what you absolutely can't do is back yourself into a corner and think that you have to trade Donovan. I wouldn't have urgency to tank because that option is always available. One of the biggest complaints that people have about FO's is that they are impatient...I think people need to be patient with the Don inevitable Don trade.