What's new

It’s official Donovan is the GOAT

Maybe not Exum if the Jazz can dump Burks somewhere. The latter three are expirings after next season and barely contribute. And who knows how Thabo plays after his injury. Seriously, are we going to worry about minor pieces if a star can be added?
How many people are going to read that post incorrectly?

I don’t give a **** about any of those players leaving for PG. but he is close friends with all of them. I’m asking if he knows that he is directly saying “get rid of a bunch of my teammates” everytime he tries to recruit Paul George.

Jazz wouldn't have to necessarily lose Favors and Exum.

First dumping Burks would give us enough to sign Exum.
Second they could see the writing on the wall and realize the Jazz have a chance at a championship and re-sign for a lot less. Maybe a 1 year deal

How many people are going to read that post incorrectly?

I don’t give a **** about any of those players leaving for PG. but he is close friends with all of them. I’m asking if he knows that he is directly saying “get rid of a bunch of my teammates” everytime he tries to recruit Paul George.
Donovan is a pretty smart guy. He’s already seen the ugly side of NBA business. First with Hayward leaving, and then with the team trading JJ and Hood. He knows the stakes.

He also knows that stars help to win playoff games. He’s trying to recruit the stars to want to be in Utah. After that, it’s up to DL to figure out how to make it work.

Best case scenario is to figure out an opt-in and trade option so they can keep Favors and Exum. None of the other guys are worth worrying about.

Here's the path to us freeing enough capspace for a max slot THIS year, if we want it:

It can be done. We need to dump Burks(probably with a future first rounder attached). Renounce Favors, Exum, Thabo, Jerebko, Udoh, Neto and Stockton. And we are left with:

Gobert 23.5
Mitchell 3.1
Rubio 15
Ingles 13
Crowder 7.3
Bradley 1.7
Royce 1.4
caphold for 1st round pick this year: 1.7M
-----------------------------------
66.7M

This is only 8 players and every team needs to have at least 12 slots filled, so we need to add 4 min salary cap hold slots(0.83m) or about 3.3M altogether... which puts us at:

70M!!!

... or we have a full max slot(about 31M)

Then we will have the MLE and various other exceptions to fill our roster. with other players(maybe use the second rounder as a 15th man)...

Our depth won't be great but that's the price you pay for getting a max free agent this year.

Depth chart:

PG: Rubio, Okobo?, vet with part of MLE?
SG: Mitchell, Royce, vet with some exception
SF: Ingles, Crowder, vet min exception
PF: PG13?, part of MLE?, second rounder?
C: Gobert, Bradley, vet min?

Last edited:
I mean I agree to an extent but there’s other options out there, and Donovan has had one year in this league. I’m not sure he’s got the clout to actually recruit anyone let alone their being any precedent anywhere where recruiting actually worked in a situation like this.
Normally I would agree, but all throughout the year, we saw the all-stars and superstars embracing Mitchell after games, whispering whatever congrats and advice they had. I really haven't seen that with other rookies. They all know the next big superstar has arrived. And the media is embracing him as well. Outside of his basketball skills, he's personable, well-spoken, handsome - he's a marketing dream for the league.

Not that I watch a ton of games outside of the jazz, but did opponents make a habit of giving Simmons, Ball, Tatum, etc. friendly man hugs, or was it just the congratulatory handshakes after games? And you have to admit, Donovan has a personality like none other. Outside of Simmons, is there a player in the NBA who doesn't hate to play against him, but love him after the games?

Yes, I'll admit Utah will always have a stigma. But Quin is considered one of the best coaches in the league. The Jazz have one of the best defenses. And everyone is viewed as being pretty unselfish..."the strength of the team is the team." There's room for another big-time scorer. I honestly think Mitchell doesn't care abut leading the team in points. So maybe we don't get a star like George. Jazz could have landed Mirotic. Love would love to play in Utah, where he resides off-season. Jazz can win 55 games just through internal improvement. Add some more talent and they can up that to 60+. Jazz are in rarefied air. I think significant FA's or those knowing they're on the trading block will start to take note; not everyone can play for GS, Houston or Boston.

I've said it before...I'm not going to be too disappointed if Utah can't do anything in free agency. I'm really looking for the Jazz to bring everyone back (except for Stockton, of course, who will be replaced by the 1st round draft pick). Then Utah has $24M to trade at the deadline in expirings (Burks, Udoh, Jerbeko, Thabo) plus other decent assets such as Crowder, O'Neale, this year's pick, next year's pick. Not sure who's going to be available, but that woud leave the team stacked if we can retain Favors and Exum and also bring in another starter or 6th man. That may be better than stripping the team down to try to open up cap space this summer.

Last edited:
Lol. Perhaps we shouldn’t have chanted Push off P. Lmao
Actually, I think that's a selling point. It wasn't anything particularly bad and thankfully not racist (as has been accused by others of Jazz fans). Opponents know Jazz fans are the most passionate in the league. Get him to visit SLC; have Mitchell and Ingles in the recruitment meeting. Jinges can joke about George not having to put up with his trash talk 4x per season (plus possible playoff series). And they can talk about the adoration the Jazz fans would shower upon him.

Here's the path to us freeing enough capspace for a max slot THIS year, if we want it:

It can be done. We need to dump Burks(probably with a future first rounder attached). Renounce Favors, Exum, Thabo, Jerebko, Udoh, Neto and Stockton. And we are left with:

Gobert 23.5
Mitchell 3.1
Rubio 15
Ingles 13
Crowder 7.3
Bradley 1.7
Royce 1.4
66.7M

This is only 8 players and every team needs to have at least 12 slots filled, so we need to add 4 min salary cap hold slots(0.83m) or about 3.3M altogether... which puts us at:

70M!!!

Then we will have the MLE and various other exceptions to fill our roster. with other players(maybe use the second rounder as a 15th man)...

Our depth won't be great but that's the price you pay for getting a max free agent this year.

Depth chart:

So essentially we would be trading Exum and Favors for George?

I’d do it.

Considering Gobert to be anything less than a star is a **** take. He is guaranteed to put any team into the top-3 on the defensive end.

He is a building block for a contender. Melo never was, and has been considered a “star” for most of his career.

Gobert 23.5
Mitchell 3.1
Rubio 15
Ingles 13
Crowder 7.3
Bradley 1.7
Royce 1.4
66.7M

70M!!!

Depth chart:

**** it. Make a serious pitch to Lebron.

If his wife wants to be close to Hollywood and all, he’d be a very short flight away. He’d have a really good ****ing chance at dethroning the Dubs AND bringing a title here which could take his legacy to a whole nother level. He also may take solace in the smaller media market and better, more peaceful lifestyle as he winds down his career, not only for him but his family as well.

Rubio-Okobo-Sessions (vet minimum)
Mitchell-O’Neale
Ingles-2nd rounder
Lebron-Crowder-Tolliver (partial MLE)
Gobert-Baynes (partial MLE), Bradley

That’s a great ****ing core. We could probably get someone like Moute or another FA or two to sign super cheap too to chase a ring and that starting lineup and bench could beat the Dubs imo because we’d be insane on both ends.

Last edited:
Winning sells tickets and jerseys

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

How many Bruce Bowen, Steve Kerr, and Robert Horry jerseys did you see floating around? Those guys were all big contributors, maybe even x-factors, to multiple NBA championships. Hell people didn't even recognize John Stockton on the street after 15 years of dominating the league.

Now contrast that to even someone like Lonzo Ball... who had a rough season for a bad team, drawing sell out crowds and sold the 12th most jerseys in the league. Winning does not always equate to stardom ($$). now sometimes you get stars who also lead you to chips (Curry, James), then you have the best of both worlds.

Someone on twitter pointed out that David Morway was the one who actually drafted PG13.

Rudy Gobert is a star. Anyone who thinks otherwise is using really stupid metrics.

Since when are metrics used to determine who’s a star? Melo was a star and sucks and has sucked for a long time. Being a star is in many ways more about perception than reality.

Since when are metrics used to determine who’s a star? Melo was a star and sucks and has sucked for a long time. Being a star is in many ways more about perception than reality.
Okay, I’ll accept that.

But then why do you care if he’s not a star? Being a great player is what I thought you meant, and he is that.

Okay, I’ll accept that.

But then why do you care if he’s not a star? Being a great player is what I thought you meant, and he is that.

My recollection is someone called him a star. I just don’t see it that way. He’s little more than a zero on offense and I don’t see someone who brings little to the table so far as scoring goes in such a high scoring league as a star. You can only have so many guys like that on a floor at a time if we want to win it all.