What's new

Mitchell injury

Oh, so you think he somehow reaggravated it after he went home.
Have you ever had a severe ankle sprain? I've had several, and I can tell you that it can be 2 weeks of it feeling fine and then you have a hard game or a tough practice and all the sudden you're feeling a twinge here and there. Joint injuries are incredibly difficult to come back from. Especially if they're severe in the first place. My thought is they downplay the severity of the injury during the end of the season, so now when he complains of even a minor amount of pain they are paranoid about having him play and destroy his ankle, so it's better to hold him out. That makes more sense when looking at a playoff scenario. If it were the regular season sure rest him for a day or two, but you don't just rest for a day or two in the playoffs. That just isn't a thing. The whole point of resting is so you can go 100% for more than your normal minutes throughout the entire playoff run. So absolutely there's something we weren't being told, but this should be no surprise to anyone who pays attention to this franchise.

But never were they outright lying to us. They didn't say it was a sprain when it was really a bundle of torn ligaments. But it's very easy for them just to say it's a right ankle sprain rather than to say it's a severe high ankle sprain, which is a dramatically different thing. It's a sin of omission.

Have you ever had a severe ankle sprain? I've had several, and I can tell you that it can be 2 weeks of it feeling fine and then you have a hard game or a tough practice and all the sudden you're feeling a twinge here and there. Joint injuries are incredibly difficult to come back from. Especially if they're severe in the first place. My thought is they downplay the severity of the injury during the end of the season, so now when he complains of even a minor amount of pain they are paranoid about having him play and destroy his ankle, so it's better to hold him out. That makes more sense when looking at a playoff scenario. If it were the regular season sure rest him for a day or two, but you don't just rest for a day or two in the playoffs. That just isn't a thing. The whole point of resting is so you can go 100% for more than your normal minutes throughout the entire playoff run. So absolutely there's something we weren't being told, but this should be no surprise to anyone who pays attention to this franchise.
Did you forget the context of our little discussion here?

You said you agree with Gameface's assertion that Mitchell's injury is too serious for him to be playing. That would require Mitchell to have either somehow reaggravated his injury after going home today, or for the Jazz and Mitchell to have lied about the status of his injury (he was literally NOT on the injury report yesterday).

It sucks, it's worrisome, but at the same time there's a game tonight and hopefully they play thru it and hopefully he's back Wednesday.

Did you forget the context of our little discussion here?

You said you agree with Gameface's assertion that Mitchell's injury is too serious for him to be playing. That would require Mitchell to have either somehow reaggravated his injury after going home today, or for the Jazz and Mitchell to have lied about the status of his injury (he was literally NOT on the injury report yesterday).
So you're not going to read my response before you answer. Fair enough. I just then have no need to respond to you any more. Yes there are ONLY two options. No way it's something in between, by golly. This is a black and white world we live in. No grays allowed!

So you're not going to read my response before you answer. Fair enough. I just then have no need to respond to you any more. Yes there are ONLY two options. No way it's something in between, by golly. This is a black and white world we live in. No grays allowed!
I mean, Tony Jones and Eric Walden have both already confirmed you were wrong.

Please quote where I said anything about a lie. You gotta keep track of who you are responding to bro. My thought is he re-aggravated it at some point. Could even just be that he went through a few full-speed practices for a few days, then went home today to prepare, and ended up calling the trainers to tell them he was feeling a tweak or some pain in the ankle, so they decided just to hold him out again. Could be very minor, could be very major. However I don't see any way they would rule him out if they felt all he needed was just a day or two of rest. This isn't about rest, this is about an aggravated injury. This could be really bad.
It's also reasonable that he had another MRI/X-ray, and the Drs thought he wasn't quite ready. The ultimate goal is to get him healthy enough that twisting that ankle again doesn't cause him long-term damage.

Bang. There you go. It's out of caution.

So, cool, great that we have these tweets from good sources. However, that doesn't mean these are facts and this organization is notorious for being tight-lipped so you'll have to forgive those of us that are wary.

It's also reasonable that he had another MRI/X-ray, and the Drs thought he wasn't quite ready. The ultimate goal is to get him healthy enough that twisting that ankle again doesn't cause him long-term damage.
This is what I'm confused about, actually. They aren't going to see anything in imaging unless there's a real big problem. So I'm not sure what they are going off of, besides a hunch.

In any case, him saying he's good to go for days, then being pulled despite being "totally healthy" makes no ****ing sense.

He's not right or he'd be playing. It's pretty simple.

This is what I'm confused about, actually. They aren't going to see anything in imaging unless there's a real big problem. So I'm not sure what they are going off of, besides a hunch.
I'm all but certain it's based on him reporting residual pain combined with the injury possibly being worse than they let on so they are being overly cautious. And it was really worse then we ever knew. Also explains why he was out for so long.

I’d say it’s that his return doesn’t hinge on any hard criteria but rather a Venn diagram of decisions. Us playing against Memphis after they played two emotional games and just got off a game in OT, they feel playing him yields much less benefit than the potential risk, even if small. Just a guess. If we win, I’d say it increases the odds that he sits Wednesday, too.

I’d say it’s that his return doesn’t hinge on any hard criteria but rather a Venn diagram of decisions. Us playing against Memphis after they played two emotional games and just got off a game in OT, they feel playing him yields much less benefit than the potential risk, even if small. Just a guess. If we win, I’d say it increases the odds that he sits Wednesday, too.
K, then put a minutes-restriction on him. If he's good, then not playing him is asinine. Point blank.

lol @ the conspriacy theories.

Sometimes the most logical explanation is the right one: They examined him after his workout, weren't completely comfortable, and decided to rest him another couple days.

lol @ the conspriacy theories.

Sometimes the most logical explanation is the right one: They examined him after his workout, weren't completely comfortable, and decided to rest him another couple days.
What is going to change about an unresolved 6-week injury that will be resolved in three days?

So, cool, great that we have these tweets from good sources. However, that doesn't mean these are facts and this organization is notorious for being tight-lipped so you'll have to forgive those of us that are wary.
There's a difference between being tight-lipped and outright lying.

You seem to believe they're doing the latter.