What's new

Mitchell will romp to the ROY award...

That might be so, in a sense. He seems to force his shots too much with Mitchell.
It’s an interesting dynamic, to be sure. Here our two best offensive weapons leave and the keys get handed to Rodney Hood with the FO stating they believe he can be the primary scorer. Then a rookie comes in and overshadows all of this. The response is understandable and I can’t fault him for it, but it leaves me wanting more from a competitor.

Here is a question that may be more important than the roy race. Would you trade Donovan Mitchell for Ben Simmons straight up? Would Philly do it? Would the Jazz do it?

I wouldn't as much as I love Simmons game. Mitchell has an "it" factor that Simmons doesn't have. I can see lots of reasons some woukd, but i say no.

Here is a question that may be more important than the roy race. Would you trade Donovan Mitchell for Ben Simmons straight up? Would Philly do it? Would the Jazz do it?

I wouldn't as much as I love Simmons game. Mitchell has an "it" factor that Simmons doesn't have. I can see lots of reasons some woukd, but i say no.

I can't answer this objectively. I am programmed to believe in Aussies too much (hence my Exum love).
I know what you mean by the 'IT' factor. But I am surprised you don't see some of that in Simmons. Simmons is dead aware that he is not shooting the ball atm, and does not want to become inefficient nor be put endlessly on the ft line. So he does defer at many points at this stage of his career. But Simmons has ALWAYS been the man in his career to date - and I think the odds are on him figuring it out. You can tell he wants to dominate - indeed he doesn't want to be Robin to Embiid's batman (that I am pretty sure of).

I feel like neither team would make the trade. Especially since the sixers have Markelle waiting in the wings.

I can't answer this objectively. I am programmed to believe in Aussies too much (hence my Exum love).
I know what you mean by the 'IT' factor. But I am surprised you don't see some of that in Simmons. Simmons is dead aware that he is not shooting the ball atm, and does not want to become inefficient nor be put endlessly on the ft line. So he does defer at many points at this stage of his career. But Simmons has ALWAYS been the man in his career to date - and I think the odds are on him figuring it out. You can tell he wants to dominate - indeed he doesn't want to be Robin to Embiid's batman (that I am pretty sure of).

I feel like neither team would make the trade. Especially since the sixers have Markelle waiting in the wings.

I wouldn't trade Donovan for Simmons. Shooting is kindof important

I wouldn't trade Donovan for Simmons. Shooting is kindof important

Understood. But do you really think Simmons will remain a non-shooter?
If you think the answer to that is yes, then so be it.
But the guy is basically averaging 16.5/8.5/7.5/2 without a shot. He would only have to develop an average shot to be at the top of the pile.

I know Mitchell making the All Star game is a long shot, but if he continues his amazing play, there’s a slight chance he could. I hope Jazz fans can do their best to try and make that slight chance a little better. Here’s all the ways to vote:

-You can vote here once every 24 hours: https://vote.nba.com/?iref=asv18_nbacom_news&cid=asv18_nbacom_news

-One ballot on the NBA app every 24 hours

- use “Donovan Mitchell #NBAVOTE” on Facebook and twitter. You can also use his twitter handle with the hashtag #NBAVOTE as well.

-Google search- Search “NBA Vote All-Star” or “NBA Vote Team Name” (i.e., NBA Vote Warriors) and use respective voting cards to select teams and then players. Fans may submit votes for 10 unique players per day from Dec. 25 – Jan. 15.

Amazon Alexa- To vote via Amazon Alexa, the user must have an Alexa-enabled device, and enable the “NBA All-Star” skill. To submit a vote, the user can open the skill with, “Alexa, open NBA All-Star,” and then request to vote for his or her player of choice. Voters can submit a maximum of one player name per request to Alexa. Users can submit votes for 10 unique players per Amazon account each day from Dec. 25 – Jan. 15.

too much work not worth it :p gaming the system

Mitchell getting the all star nod this season is A LONG SHOT. The west has curry, thompson, lillard, Harden, westbrook, etc etc.

Looking at the Western Conference guards and then the Eastern Conference ones is crazy. The superiority of the top players in the West can't be overstated.

I wouldn't do the trade because you have to feel very confident you're upgrading your roster in order to make one. You know you're getting an amazing player either way, but there's no clear advantage to having Simmons instead of Mitchell. Both are potential franchise centerpieces.

I wouldn't, even though Simmons is going to be a great player. I'm sure his shot will eventually be fixed and then he'll be even more deemed the next Lebron (even though Lebron is a once in a generation type player) I did however watch Simmons in a game a few days ago and watched him shoot a free throw line jumper, his shot was so ugly and it banged off the left side of the backboard not even hitting the rim, shots like that give me a little pause with him.

Not quite the same as ROY, but Mitchell comes in second in this "redraft" of the 2017 NBA draft: https://www.si.com/nba/2017/12/25/2017-nba-draft-jayson-tatum-lonzo-ball-markelle-fultz-kyle-kuzma

2. LAKERS: DONOVAN MITCHELL | ORIGINAL: LONZO BALL
When Utah swung a deal with Denver to move up and pick Mitchell at No. 13 on draft night, it felt like a prudent upside play on a versatile backcourt piece who, at the very least, seemed ready to contribute defensively right away. Now he looks like an instrumental component of Utah’s post-Gordon Hayward foundation and, in the short term, he could be the difference between the Jazz staying in the mix for a spot at the bottom of the West playoffs and taking another shot in the lottery this summer. Utah has given Mitchell more offensive freedom than any rookie has a right to demand, but he hasn’t buckled under the heavy shot-creation load. Mitchell is using a higher percentage of possessions while he’s on the floor than any of his teammates.

Mitchell’s cracked the 30-point barrier three times in December and he was most recently seen putting up 29 points on 12-of-16 shooting against the Thunder’s stingy defense on December 23, a performance that resulted in his third-highest Game Score, a John Hollinger-created metric to gauge per-game productivity. Mitchell has played the majority of his minutes at shooting guard this season, but he has the court vision and ballhandling chops to moonlight at the 1. He’s long enough (at 6’3’’ with a 6’10’’ wingspan) to check three positions. Though Mitchell probably would be better off with a smaller offensive plate at this point in his career, he hasn’t squandered the opportunity presented to him. It’ll take the Jazz a while to recover from losing Hayward in free agency this summer, but Mitchell’s exciting development should make it easier to stomach watching Hayward anchor an East power in Boston. — CJ

Understood. But do you really think Simmons will remain a non-shooter?
If you think the answer to that is yes, then so be it.
But the guy is basically averaging 16.5/8.5/7.5/2 without a shot. He would only have to develop an average shot to be at the top of the pile.

Sure, but the fact that he absolutely won't take a shot outside of 4 ft does concern me

Not quite the same as ROY, but Mitchell comes in second in this "redraft" of the 2017 NBA draft: https://www.si.com/nba/2017/12/25/2017-nba-draft-jayson-tatum-lonzo-ball-markelle-fultz-kyle-kuzma

2. LAKERS: DONOVAN MITCHELL | ORIGINAL: LONZO BALL
When Utah swung a deal with Denver to move up and pick Mitchell at No. 13 on draft night, it felt like a prudent upside play on a versatile backcourt piece who, at the very least, seemed ready to contribute defensively right away. Now he looks like an instrumental component of Utah’s post-Gordon Hayward foundation and, in the short term, he could be the difference between the Jazz staying in the mix for a spot at the bottom of the West playoffs and taking another shot in the lottery this summer. Utah has given Mitchell more offensive freedom than any rookie has a right to demand, but he hasn’t buckled under the heavy shot-creation load. Mitchell is using a higher percentage of possessions while he’s on the floor than any of his teammates.

Mitchell’s cracked the 30-point barrier three times in December and he was most recently seen putting up 29 points on 12-of-16 shooting against the Thunder’s stingy defense on December 23, a performance that resulted in his third-highest Game Score, a John Hollinger-created metric to gauge per-game productivity. Mitchell has played the majority of his minutes at shooting guard this season, but he has the court vision and ballhandling chops to moonlight at the 1. He’s long enough (at 6’3’’ with a 6’10’’ wingspan) to check three positions. Though Mitchell probably would be better off with a smaller offensive plate at this point in his career, he hasn’t squandered the opportunity presented to him. It’ll take the Jazz a while to recover from losing Hayward in free agency this summer, but Mitchell’s exciting development should make it easier to stomach watching Hayward anchor an East power in Boston. — CJ
Lmao, who was #1? Mitchell is clearly the best player so far in the 2017 draft. Simmons was 2016. Was it Tatum?? Lmao

Would you trade Jayson Tatum for Ben Simmons? I would in a heartbeat. SI has an obvious bias. Right below the Mitchell pick was a link to an article titled "The immense pride and unspeakable agony of Gordon Hayward". So ridiculous.

in my opinion Mitchell is roy over simmons. Sure, I am biased, but I think simmons, tatum, nor anybody else commands the attention that mitchel gets. He gets double teamed at times because the team doesn't have any other major threat both driving, shooting, and passing out on the perimeter. Mean while Tatum is a rookie playing behind the likes of a horford and irving. You can't stick your best defender on a tatum nor a simmons(b/c embiid).

I'm still impressed with simmons though, he's putting up #s despite not having any kind of shot. He's sputtering a bit now b/c teams are figuring it out vs him. There are still 40+games left.

Simmons is going to be future Mvp and has a chance to be better than Lebron. I would not swap him for Mitchell.